Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/16/2005 7:10:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2005 7:31:51 PM EDT by Spiff]
Just built an M14/M1A, all parts are GI except of course for the receiver, which is Armscorp. When the bolt is locked (in battery) you can still move the lugs a small amout side to side, like it wants to come out of battery (not front to back). What stops it from moving more is the op rod.

On my Garand, the op rod puts pressure on the bolt, and it does not move a bit.

Is this bit of movement normal on an M14? The bolt is in very good shape and so is the op rod, the cam on the op rod shows very little wear at least as far as I can tell. And the op rod fits the receiver tightly.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:35:35 PM EDT
It's normal. The op-rod does'nt put much if any pressure on the roller because it doesn't need too. once a round is chambered and the bolt is in battery you shouldn't feel much movement of the bolt. The cam nose on the hammer will also cam the bolt closed on firing if it isn't quite ALL the way closed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:55:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2005 7:59:20 PM EDT by Spiff]

Originally Posted By tangeant:
It's normal. The op-rod does'nt put much if any pressure on the roller because it doesn't need too. once a round is chambered and the bolt is in battery you shouldn't feel much movement of the bolt. The cam nose on the hammer will also cam the bolt closed on firing if it isn't quite ALL the way closed.

Ah, I feel much better now!! You are right, there is zero movement when a round is chambered. And with this little issue laid to rest, she's a done deal!! Well, except for the roll pin that secures the stripper clip guide that I screwed up. But that’s a small matter, as I don't plan on using any stripper clips at this time.

I'll get it out Thursday and shoot it. Thanks for the help Tangeant.
Top Top