Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2013 10:05:46 AM EDT
I am thinking about buying a savage axis bolt action 223, but I have read that the bolt handle goes to far up for some scopes. I was wandering if I could heat the bolt handle and bend it a little bit or would that mess something up?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#1]
First step is to see if the handle will work with the scope.
If in doubt, contact Savage and tell them the type and size of scope and they can probably tell you if it'll work.

On modern rifles with bolt handles brazed on the bolt body, heating the handle is always risky, especially if you don't have the proper copper heat sinks to protect the bolt.
Do it without the correct tools and knowledge of how to do it, and people are surprised when they open the bolt and the handle peels off the bolt body.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#2]
The handle on the Axis is removable IIRC. I am not sure if it is the same as a 10 series however.
Disassemble the bolt, clamp the body end in an aluminum jaw vice to act as a heat sink. Heat the shank to cherry red and bend gently. Only bend it enough to clear the scope, allow to cool slowly(don't quench it).
If only a slight bend you should not have to relieve the stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top