Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2002 8:45:23 PM EDT
Hi Guys,

This is an old topic, but I feel there is some new information to discuss.  I want a bolt gun for strictly target use (I don't hunt).  Right now I have a 22-250 ruger that works great (1 MOA or less with stock trigger and factory amoo) but I long for something with more punch.  

This will be used for punching paper and killing pop cans a few hundred yards out.  I'm looking for a cartridge that will reach out accurately, but I will be able to shoot all day without killing my shoulder (no 338 weatherby or ultramag).  I want something that is still moving at 500 yards and won't drift too badly in wind.  I also want something commonly available (I don't reload) and that won't burn barrels too quick.  I was wondering what people suggest.

An interesting choice I haven't heard much about is the 243.  Recoil is probably nill, and many loading are still over 2000 fps at 500 yards.  I've heard a lot about the 260 rem, but there are limited gun choices and ammo is tough to find.  How seriously should I look at the short magnums like the WSM and RUSM?  Would I be best served by the standard 308 or perhaps a 300 Win Mag in a heavy gun or should I go with something more exotic.  There is a lot going on in the rifle world these days.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:36:48 AM EDT
[#1]
My personal favorites, in bullet diameter order. These are just based on my experience, so please no posts like "Why the hell isn't the 7.62x54R on the list...it's the greatest of all time, because you can get 440 rnd tins for really cheap!" posts! A cartridge's absence doesn't mean I don't like it...:

25-'06: Long action, high velocities, super accuracy...a great varmint round with low recoil.

7mm-08: Short action, low recoil, great accuracy (especially when reloading) Not everyone shhots this round...not 'exotic', just a little different.

7mm Rem Mag: Long action, belted, tons of knockdown, solid accuracy...a great all-around hunting round

.308 Rem: 'nuff said.

Perhaps too boring for some, but they seem to get the job done. YMMV.

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:49:54 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as shootability goes, the 6mm/.243 class of caliber will treat you kindly, with high accuracy potential.  However, since you do not load, I think the 223 and 308 are best choices in general.  I recently purchased my 308 match gun and I can shoot it all day.  Its a Remington 40X, which weighs in at about 13 pounds with scope.  It'll definately hit the 800meter mark with good kill characteristics for most anything in N America or your bottle of coke.  If you reload, I would say that its a tossup between a 243 and a 308, but the decision should depend on how far you plan on shooting.  Personally, I'd go for the 308, theres a reason everyone has one!
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree with your choice of .243.  It has plenty of power for varmints, coyotes, and the occasional smallish deer.  It's accurate, flat shooting, plenty of bullets out there for it, comes in a short action, and is something like the 6th most popular caliber in the US.  Recoil is mild, and it is offered in most every popular maker's rifles today.

I'd stay away from the .260, as it takes an unusual bullet size and you may have trouble finding a rifle in it, not to mention replacment barrels.  It doesn't do a whole lot that the .243 isn't capable of.  

I also am not fond of the magnums.  Too many people around here will just buy a 7 mag and use it for everything, mostly 50-yard shots at deer in brushy woods.  I subscribe to the "use the proper tool for the job" philosophy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#4]
.308- very common, used extensively (I think that adds to the arguement for it). You can shoot all day without killing your shoulder. Lots of power. Simple choice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

This will be used for punching paper

Please stop the violence

Paper
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I would go with a 6MM type for two reasons.

Selection of bullets. If you want maximum accuracy the 6MM bullet choices are excellent.

Recoil. Most 6MMs will not beat you to death and with a brake will be downright pleasant.

.243 would seem a likely choice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#7]
257 Roberts
25-06
260 Remington
6.5 x 55 mm Swedish
7 x 57 Mauser
270 Winchester
7-08

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
257 Roberts
25-06
260 Remington
6.5 x 55 mm Swedish
7 x 57 Mauser
270 Winchester
7-08

All excellent choices, IMO. Along with the 6mm's.

I love the 6.5 Swedish, but if ammo and gun availability is an issue you could not go wrong with a .270 Winchester. Very zippy and useful with the 130 grain bullet, and the heavy 150 grainers give it 6.5mm-like penetration qualities for heavier game. Some have badmouthed heavy bullets in the .270, but it really does very well with them, as far as I can see. The only bad thing about a .270 is no military surplus ammo.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
257 Roberts
25-06
260 Remington
6.5 x 55 mm Swedish
7 x 57 Mauser
270 Winchester
7-08

Whats with all these rambled off numbers?  I thought bolt rifles only came in
.308 Win
.300 Win Mag
.50 BMG

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#10]
.308, plenty of high quality match-grade ammo available. For some reason I thought I saw someone advertising Swedish match grade .243, but I haven't seen the ad since. I contemplated the Steyr (SSG) PIV in .243 if someone would make match grade ammo on a consistent basis. Match grade .308 is still pricey, but is still hummming out at 800 yards(+).
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm partial to the .220 Swift.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#12]
.22 Jet
8mm Mauser (Cheap!)
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.416 Rigby (now THERE is a plinker)

In all seriousness:

How about that new .17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire?
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Haha, target use eh? Get yourself a barret or an ar-50 in the .50bmg. That'll hit you targets at a mile or more.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hi Guys,

This is an old topic, but I feel there is some new information to discuss.  I want a bolt gun for strictly target use (I don't hunt).  Right now I have a 22-250 ruger that works great (1 MOA or less with stock trigger and factory amoo) but I long for something with more punch.  

This will be used for punching paper and killing pop cans a few hundred yards out.  I'm looking for a cartridge that will reach out accurately, but I will be able to shoot all day without killing my shoulder (no 338 weatherby or ultramag).  I want something that is still moving at 500 yards and won't drift too badly in wind.  I also want something commonly available (I don't reload) and that won't burn barrels too quick.  I was wondering what people suggest.

An interesting choice I haven't heard much about is the 243.  Recoil is probably nill, and many loading are still over 2000 fps at 500 yards.  I've heard a lot about the 260 rem, but there are limited gun choices and ammo is tough to find.  How seriously should I look at the short magnums like the WSM and RUSM?  Would I be best served by the standard 308 or perhaps a 300 Win Mag in a heavy gun or should I go with something more exotic.  There is a lot going on in the rifle world these days.

I gave this some more thought. I am looking to buy a 6mm soon and was thinking of calibers for my purchase also.

If you reload or plan on reloading I think the 6BR would fit the bill nicely for a paper puncher with little recoil. More intial expense for a custom re-barrel but this is a great caliber that should be factory legitimized by Remington based on the merits of accuracy and comfort of shooting.

A 6BR with a quick twist for shooting VLDs would be hard to beat at 500-600 yards. I have read quite a bit about 1000 yard shoots being won with this cartridge.

You can ask for a looser chamber spec if you would rather not neck turn.

Just another choice to be considered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top