Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2003 8:44:03 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience with the Mossberg 695? I see that there are a couple recalls on them, are they crapola or what?

Any other Bolt action 12ga guns out there worth looking into?
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an old Sears bolt-action shotgun.  I haven't fired it yet myself, because I don't have anywhere that I'm able to fire a shotgun.  I let a coworker, that's a former cop so he has access to a range, borrow it, and he and some other guys put about 50 rounds through it without problem.  It was well worth the $35 I paid for it.  The cheapest pump I've seen for sale was a beat-up Mossberg for $150.  I've seen several solid bolt-action shotguns for less than $50.  In my opinion, bolt actions are well worth the money.  The only thing I don't like is the smaller magazine capacity.  That is offset by the ease of single-round feeding.  In all of the bolt-action shotguns I've looked at, to feed a single round all you had to do was drop it in with the bolt back.z
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#2]
The Mossberg 695 is more or less an updated M395.  I only gave $50 for mine at an auction...mostly because nobody else was bidding on it & I was "why the hell not?".  Shoots OK, not as quick handling as I would like.  Gun Parts Corp has larger capacity mags for the Mossberg 12g bolt actions.  4rnd vs the stock 2rnds.  It seems that at one time Mossberg offered a short barreled "riot" version for $$$ strapped Police/Corrections Depts & individuals.  With the large mag, long barrel & wood stock mine looks like it's trying to impersonate a M14

I wouldn't want to have my only gun be a bolt action shotgun but for a cheap "gun rack/trunk" beater they aren't bad.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The idea here was to have a 3" chamber slug gun that would be accurate out to about 300 yards. Sort of a poor mans .50 if you will.

Anyone else in here have any input on this?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#4]
FNG, The Tar-Hunt was the first fully rifled bolt action shotgun made and is the only one remaining in production. Mossberg, Marlin and Browning all dropped theirs. I think it was the cantilever scope mount for pump action and semi auto shotguns that killed them off. Bolt action shotguns were never popular, the old smooth bore bolt actions were used to "kill whatever was bothering the chickens from the back porch". Once the mounting problem was solved for pumps and autos the bolt action idea was over. Just my two cents. MIKE.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I had one of the Marlin Model 512 bolt-action shotguns that were introduced in the mid-to-late '90s. It had a fully-rifled slug barrel, detachable box mag, and was drilled and tapped for scope installation. In fact, my father-in-law (member "Mechaniac" on this site) still owns one, but mine went to the wayside a few years ago in favor of a Remington 870 Super Slug.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Tar-Hunt was the first company to start permanently pinning the barrel to the action of pumps and auto's to increase accuracy with sabot slugs. I think the recoil of slugs would be too much for a sniper gun. MIKE.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Ill have to call Savage tomorrow. Its not so much the increased accuracy of a bolt gun but the ergonomics. Hard to pump when prone. I have an 1100 but its for 2 3/4 shells. Can I just slap on a 3" Rifled Slug barrel or is there an issue with the reciever?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The idea here was to have a 3" chamber slug gun that would be accurate out to about 300 yards. Sort of a poor mans .50 if you will.

Anyone else in here have any input on this?

300 yards?  Helluva a shotgun.  300 Feet more like it?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 3:36:38 AM EDT
[#11]
FNG, Why 3"? I have shot a hell of a lot of slugs and found very little difference between 2 3/4" and 3" slugs. What barrel do you have on the 1100, fully rifled, cantilever? I would try what I have first before a bought a bolt action. Is this going to be a deer gun? MIKE.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:17:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ill have to call Savage tomorrow. Its not so much the increased accuracy of a bolt gun but the ergonomics. Hard to pump when prone. I have an 1100 but its for 2 3/4 shells. Can I just slap on a 3" Rifled Slug barrel or is there an issue with the reciever?

I don't think the 23/4" reciever will handle the 3" shell. IIRC they are separate recievers and aren't interchangeable. 300 yards seem WAY too far for a shotgun..I've heard of ~200 yards being posible with rifled barrels and sabots. FWIW I find way more variety in 3" shells that 23/4" and they're easier to find too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I picked up a Browning Abolt Stalker 12 g a couple years back at the Syracuse gunshow. Rifled barrel, synthetic stock. These things bring a premium as they are just below the Tarhunt in quality but a heck of a lot cheaper. I played with it for a summer. It was quite accurate at 100 yds. I had a Leupold 2-7X scope on it. It was a bit more accurate that my 11-87 SP slug gun, but not enough to make me hang up the Remington. I sold the Browning.

300 yds out of a slug gun? Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top