Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2004 10:51:07 PM EDT

I'm thinking about picking up a rifle plate carrier (Paraclete or HSGI), but don't have much experience with the varieties or plates offered to put in the carrier.  I'm looking into stand-alone plates, probably level III or III+ to be worn with or without old USGI issued body armor (National Guard combat service support, I know I probably won't get anything better).  I'm pretty slim build, 5'11" and 155lbs, if that matters.

What are the benefits of single curve or triple curve plates?

What plates would you recommend if they are to be worn in a hot and humid area, possibly daily (I live in Hawaii, but may be going to the Middle East...)?  Materials, size, and weight considerations and opinions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
-Randy
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:16:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Go with a Callahan
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:42:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Go with a Callahan

Thanks, but I'm realy looking for advice on plates...  However, I looked into the Callahan, but think the HSGI Weesatch or Paraclete Plate Carrier with Cumberbund would fit my "girlish figure" (~30" waist) better when I wore the rig without soft armor underneath.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:32:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
www.bulletproofme.com

Thanks for the link... I've been there many times.  I've done all of the "internet research" that can be found, but I am looking for insight and advice on which plates might suit me best.  Are you recommending the single curve poly level III/III+ plates from this site, or the triple curve ceramic level IV plates from this site?  Or do you recommend I get the 9lb/ea single curve steel plates to wear every day?  How durable are the poly plates, can they survive the desert?

Why would the plates from this site be a better choice than the Point Blank plates?  (PB seems to be higher performance)

Thanks again!  Anyone else?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Joe,

Thanks!  E-mail sent... -Randy
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:50:55 PM EDT
[#7]
don't know if you've already found or bought any plates, but i'm EXTREMELY happy with my craig ballistics plates.  craig is the contractor for the australian department of defense, and many australian LE agencies.  i'm also pretty sure that our DOD is contracting them to make SAPI plates, too.  anyways, i bought a pair of triple-curve 10x12" level IV (with a IIIA vest) plates from craig's US distributor.  funny thing is, at the time, i didn't know that's who i was buying them from.  i had just found the guy on ebay.  i went ahead and bid on them, then contacted craig ballistics themselves.  Mr. Craig said he'd forward the email to Jeff Stone, their man in charge of US distribution.  i never heard from jeff stone.  that is, until the end of the auction, when mr. stone thanked me for my business, and signed his email with his name.  i then found out that he is, indeed, THE jeff stone, and can get just about any craig plate you want.  my plates were $135 each, plus shipping, and weigh a little bit, and are a little thicker than many other plates out there.  but, they were $292 or so, shipped to my door.  you can spend a shitload on plates, but what you're really doing is paying for comfort.  if you need a level IV plate, the difference between the $135 plate and the $700 plate is thickness and weight.  craig makes some THIN, LIGHT plates, but they cost more.  jeff stone's ebay auction
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Footrat, thanks for the lead on the plates, but I already got some!

I got stand-alone Level IV ceramic ultralight plates (5.5lbs each).  They are both triple curve with the front plate notched on the top and the back plate is a full rectangle.  Spent a little bit more than the eBay plates, but they are stand-alone, 2lbs lighter each, and full coverage on the back... all features very important to me!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top