Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Posted: 11/17/2008 10:11:40 AM EDT
Lots of mention of this, but is there any on-line pictures or reference to which screws are "locktited"?  I haven't found it discussed except off handed.  (no pun intended)

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Edit - see pic in jackal2001's post below
2nd Edit -  put in a close-up picture of the screws:

(they are T10 Torx screws)

I would replace the carrier screws with socket head cap screws while you are Loctiting the bolt screws. You can find replacement sets in the EE or if you want to order a lifetime supply from McMaster Carr:

If you want to go with 316 stainless steel
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-
Metric 316 SS Socket Head Cap Screw M3 Thread, 12mm Length, .5mm Pitch - Product Code: 92290A117 ($11.00 per pack of 50)

Metric 316 SS Socket Head Cap Screw M2.5 Thread, 12mm Length, .45mm Pitch - Product Code 92290A062 ($14.81 per pack of 50)

Or just plain black oxide steel
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Metric Class 12.9 Socket Head Cap Screw Alloy Stl, M3 Thread, 12mm Length, 0.50mm Pitch - Product Code 91290A117 ($5.07 per pack of 100)

Metric Class 12.9 Socket Head Cap Screw Alloy Stl, M2.5 Thread, 12mm Length, 0.45mm Pitch - Product Code 91290A104 ($11.32 per pack of 100)
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#3]
It appears from looking at my manual and from the description of how to break down the weapon in this section of the forum that they aren't exactly easy for a novice to get to. I ordered a replacement set (with loctite already applied) off the EE but am not really confident about breaking the rifle down that far right away.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Its actually quite easy to break it down that far...the biggest problem is that the heads of the screws strip quite easily...get the screw kit off the EE here from WRMorrison (get the buffer, too!) and its pretty straight forward from there...

Remove the stock, the handguard and the fake supressor if you have a rifle. Drop out the bolt.

Thats all the screws right there in front of you...remove them, dab blue locktite on the new ones, and screw them in nice and tight.

To get to the trigger group, there is a screw in the pistol grip and a screw on the safety switch. Remove those, pop off the safety selector and then the trigger group will slide right out...
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Its actually quite easy to break it down that far...the biggest problem is that the heads of the screws strip quite easily...get the screw kit off the EE here from WRMorrison (get the buffer, too!) and its pretty straight forward from there...

Remove the stock, the handguard and the fake supressor if you have a rifle. Drop out the bolt.

Thats all the screws right there in front of you...remove them, dab blue locktite on the new ones, and screw them in nice and tight.

To get to the trigger group, there is a screw in the pistol grip and a screw on the safety switch. Remove those, pop off the safety selector and then the trigger group will slide right out...

That doesn't sound too bad. I will see how far I get when time permits ... after the screws arrive. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:06:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks,

I appreciate your help...

Regards
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#8]
it's not clear to me yet how to get the buffer in, or which end it installs based on the pictures (^_^) but I'm sure it'll work out.  So to speak.

Would've been nice if they had spent the $.30 extra on good screws, and factory locked them down, but well, it gives us something to do :)

Holo
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#9]
The Germans know us very well...

They know that the "Silly Americans" have to have something to tinker with... otherwise we just won't be happy...

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
it's not clear to me yet how to get the buffer in, or which end it installs based on the pictures (^_^) but I'm sure it'll work out.  So to speak.

Would've been nice if they had spent the $.30 extra on good screws, and factory locked them down, but well, it gives us something to do :)

Holo

The buffer will only fit on one end...my mistake afterwards was putting the whole shebang in the buffer tube backwards...honest to God, I fought that thing for 10 minutes or more before I realized I had the tube in backwards, and that is only because I realized that with the buffer in the way I had it, the spring had nowhere to go
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top