Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/20/2003 9:50:44 AM EDT
I need advice as I don't know squat about blackpowder.

I have a cousin who's 15 & deaf & his momma is anti but I want to give him a gun. I can probably get her to agree to the blackpowder thing due to the slow rate of fire.

My question is my cousin is a skinny little turd, can the gun be downloaded (less powder) w/o there being a major problem?

While I certainly won't be the one teaching him how to load it, I don't want to waste my time & $$$ if it can't be light loaded just a bit to reduce recoil.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:05:27 AM EDT
Bob, I'll be honest. A black powder rifle is not what you want to get him. It's a lot like reloading, if something goes wrong, it usually goes really wrong. IIWY, look for a good .22. Something that's not offensive to his mother, like a small bolt action .22. It's much easier to deal with that a BP rifle.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:08:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/20/2003 11:19:27 AM EDT by clindt]
That is the nice thing about black powder gun, you and load them light or heavy. On every gun there is going to be a sweet spot that the gun is the most acurate. The lightest load I can shoot is only accurate to 25 yrd. This is with my .45 rifle with only 30 grains of powder.

Black powder guns are a lot of fun, be careful, you'll get addicted to it and have to buy your own.

My one piece of advice to you, is find someone that can teach both of you how to properly load and clean the gun. Cleaning is of upmost importance due to the fact that blackpowder is corrosive.

Edited to say, I do agree w/ Robar. Black powder is not for beginners. A .22 would be a much better choice.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:23:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RobarSR60:
Bob, I'll be honest. A black powder rifle is not what you want to get him. It's a lot like reloading, if something goes wrong, it usually goes really wrong. IIWY, look for a good .22. Something that's not offensive to his mother, like a small bolt action .22. It's much easier to deal with that a BP rifle.

After having taught muzzleloading (and cartridge) rifle classes for the BSA for a couple years, I have to agree here. Get him a bolt or break action single shot .22.

Its easier to maintain and cheaper to shoot.

If you still want to go with a BP rifle, I'd follow clindt's suggestion. Get someone that knows what to show you on how to load, clean and care for a BP rifle.

That being said, MY first firearm was a repro Colt 1860 Army .44 BP pistol.

Jonathan
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:17:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2003 2:21:33 AM EDT by dnra]
Knowing a lil about BP revolvers, as the others here have said a .22 or maybe even a HIPowerAIR might be acceptable to a anti-MOM. BP can be loaded to various amounts in the revolvers cylinders, ON top of the BP between the BP and the ball you can use cornstarch to seat the ball against. Like a FULL charge of BP is a kicker where a BP 50% and CS 50% is half the power/kick. This is how they used to conserve their BP on target practice in the old days,.........I've done it also. REMEMBER the BP goes against the cap the other CS goes between the 100% BP and the ball!
Top Top