Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2012 7:45:42 AM EDT
What causes them if they weren't there originally, but showed up later.

Thank you
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What causes them if they weren't there originally, but showed up later.

Thank you

Dirt. Minute shavings from the threads can fall on the tube or lens. No scope is completely debris free. There are always some minute particles that can end up on the tube or lens. Very frustrating at times ! A little debris I don't sweat. When it gets bad I take it apart and clean it.

Black spots can also be caused by recoil damage but that is another topic.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:09:48 AM EDT
[#2]

What could have caused the spots on this NV?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_163/1000512_WTS__PVS_14_ITT_GEN_3_PINNACLE_AUTOGATED_NIGHT_ENFORCER.html
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:21:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What could have caused the spots on this NV?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_163/1000512_WTS__PVS_14_ITT_GEN_3_PINNACLE_AUTOGATED_NIGHT_ENFORCER.html

Some tubes have spots and it is a normal defect in the manufacturing process. In fact, ALL tubes have spots. Some are just to small to see with the naked eye. That does not look like debris. Assuming they were not there when the tube was new I would suspect recoil damage.

When the spots appear dead center like that recoil damage is a STRONG suspect. That is where the MCP will flex the most. Right in the center.

I guess the scope could of taken a nasty shock from a fall as well. Sometimes spots just appear for no apparent reason. But clustered together dead center is a sure sign of shock damage (AKA recoil).

The fact that the scope is pictured with some nice rifle mounts is also a clue. I never mount my scopes unless I know the tube specs. Even then I prefer a dedicated rifle scope or a IR laser.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I asked him and was told it was from batteries being left in.

Will the spots get worse if its not shot on a gun anymore? Any other adverse effects? (other than being dead center)
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:41:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I asked him and was told it was from batteries being left in.

Will the spots get worse if its not shot on a gun anymore? Any other adverse effects? (other than being dead center)

If you use it as a spotter and not on a rifle the scope should be fine. Battey's left in without the cap on will produce a burn if the scope is left on and that looks much different. Burns are usually not round and very uneven in appearance. Battery's left in with the scope turned off will cause no damage to the tube. I would never put that scope back on a rifle. I would have no issue using it as a handheld spotter or head mounting it.

I doubt the spots will get worse as long as it is not subjected to more recoil. I would bet the halo spec on that scope is pretty low. Just an educated guess.

Looks like a Night Enforcer and should be under warranty from ITT. I would ask him if the warranty was denied because of abuse or recoil damage. I don't want to mess with the guys sale but I also want you to know the truth. If he has not sent it in for warranty I would do so. ITT may replace the tube for free if they feel it was not caused by abuse. They have ways of being able to tell. I can assure you that it did not come from TNVC that way so something bad happened to it.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah guys rifle has not been fired on a rifle, i have no private property in MD to fire a rifle at night.
I know about the issues of recoil, but its never been used like that.

I was told to leave the unit in a dark place with the NVG on to remove the spots after that not working, i was worried

that it maybe of been the whole "battery in unit for too long". The spots have not gotten bigger and the unit still works 100%

If this is dirty spots that all NVG's get then.. thank god

Warranty has never been used, i never called TVNC or ITT my RMA slip is still blank.

I wanna do whats best for you guys to help sell this thing this NVG realm is still very new to me.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah guys rifle has not been fired on a rifle, i have no private property in MD to fire a rifle at night.
I know about the issues of recoil, but its never been used like that.

I was told to leave the unit in a dark place with the NVG on to remove the spots after that not working, i was worried
that it maybe of been the whole "battery in unit for too long". The spots have not gotten bigger and the unit still works 100%
If this is dirty spots that all NVG's get then.. thank god

Warranty has never been used, i never called TVNC or ITT my RMA slip is still blank.

I wanna do whats best for you guys to help sell this thing this NVG realm is still very new to me.

Send it in to ITT and let them have a look. The warranty is still in effect and as long as they determine it to not be abuse they will fix it free. You will get much more for it fixed than selling it as is. If that is debris ITT will fix it at no charge. With the RMA even the shipping is free.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#8]
TYVM Dino, if you guys could wait 1-2 weeks (Or however long it lasts) for warranty i would be happy to re-post the add
at fair market price for the fixed unit.

Calling now
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
TYVM Dino, if you guys could wait 1-2 weeks (Or however long it lasts) for warranty i would be happy to re-post the add
at fair market price for the fixed unit.

Calling now

You are very welcome. I really hope I am wrong and it is just debris. Been wrong many times and we will see. Hopefully we can get some other opinions. ITT is the best and final opinion.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top