Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2022 4:01:42 PM EDT
I am looking for a set of Bino NVDs for if SHTF/Range Use/Hiking/Etc.  I wanted to keep the cost to 9k or less for the bino to also have enough for something thermal.

I am looking at the following and see differences in the tube quality, articulating vs fixed, warranty, and housing construction.

Which do you think offers the best bang for the buck?  Why?

What is the point of diminishing returns with the cost/tube?

Others to look at?

https://www.jrhenterprises.com/BNVD-SINGLE-gain-with-Photonis-Echo-spec-WHITE-PHOSPHOR-EchoBNVDWHITEPHOS.htm

https://www.jrhenterprises.com/BNVD-Single-Gain-3rd-Gen-XLS-WHITE-PHOSPHOR-Night-Vision-bino-XLSWPBNVD.htm

https://www.jrhenterprises.com/BNVD-Single-Gain-3rd-Gen-WHITE-PHOSPHOR-HP-Night-Vision-bino-BNVDsgWPHP.htm

https://tnvc.com/shop/ab-nightvision-mod3-modular-goggle-l-3-omni-viii/[url=https://tnvc.com/shop/ab-nightvision-rnvg-ruggedized-night-vision-goggle/]https://tnvc.com/shop/ab-nightvision-rnvg-ruggedized-night-vision-goggle/[/url

https://tnvc.com/shop/ab-nightvision-rnvg-ruggedized-night-vision-goggle/
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly I think the BNVD offerings from JRH are going to be the best bang for buck as far as features go.

I have a Photonis Echo PVS-14 its does everything I need it to do. I think the low light argument is kinda overblown on the photonis stuff.

If your willing to play the lottery the XLS tubes are a great value but will have more blems, possibly very low specs, or you can get average to above average specs.

The Photonis Echo tubes will have more consistent specs across the board so there's less gamble. Another advantage is that the Photonis stuff isn't 16+week wait.

Another option if you go into the HP+ price point from JRH you could get Photonis 4G tubes (not echo) they'll have higher gain than echos and have tighter spot spec allowance (less blems).

My opinion of diminishing returns will be anything more expensive than Photonis Echo/4G and Gen 3 thin filmed. Im sure L3 Filmless is great but I don't see where its worth the premium over a good thin filmed unit or 4G offering.

JRH and TNVC are both good to go, and have excellent warranties.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#4]
This is really a tough one.  I bought BNVD's with SLH ("HP+") WP tubes though JRH.  That was my personal choice.  I wanted a high grade but not necessarily the best out there.  For me and what I'm doing, they work perfectly.  Maybe some notes to consider.

For mostly rural/semi-rural woodland patrol, good low light performance is highly desirable.  This would push you towards a higher-end domestic (or foreign) tube.  For more urban/semi-urban environment, the mid-line foreign (Photonis Echo), or domestic (XLS) tubes would work quite well, with the additional ambient light.  As a related point, if you can use IR illum, the lower performance tubes will work just fine; if not, then you want a higher performing tube.

I really prefer a manual gain.  I know some say you don't need it, but I beg to differ.  I like to control the gain myself.  Especially if you use some kind of "re-focus" ring. I find for woodland patrolling, having BC#07's with .223" holes lets you stay at infinity focus but still see all those branches n shit.  But you might need to adjust the gain up a smidge.  So regardless of what tube you get, I highly recommend manual gain, if you are moving through terrain with up-close obstacles but still need far focus.  

If there was some kind of tip point here, where you get the best bang for the buck, I'd be looking at either the Photonis Echo or Elbit XLS, as long as you could get manual gain in either one.  After that, you're just paying for tube performance upgrades, which is literally in the eye of the beholder.

Final note.  If I wuz still active duty, or with a higher threat level, I'd get the best damn tubes I could find, which would probably be L3 Filmless WP.  Since my actual threat level is a lot lower than anyone on the "front line", right now, I think high performance thin-filmed tubes work pretty well.  And truth be told, if I was to get another pair right now, I'd look real hard at either Echos or XLS's.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you'll be happier with BNVDs, especially the lightweight variety.  The binocular-style articulation is faster, and also doesn't add another rattle-prone interface.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 4:26:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Good info to consider. Thanks all.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Any of the options mentioned would be fine. I originally misread this and thought your total was 9k. but if its 9k for binos + more for thermal you should be fine.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it "true' that the gain adjustment doesn't work with Photonis Echo tubes?  I see a note on the JRH website that as of 3/1/2022 the tubes are now compatible with gain adjustment.  Is the information regarding incompatibility I received old information?
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:05:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Previously the BNVDs with Echo spec WP tubes were only available in a no gain (what is commonly called "auto gain") configuration. They just recently started offering them in single gain configuration.

"Single gain" means one gain control knob to control the gain in both tubes.

View Quote

10-4.  The info I received may be outdated then.  Thank you a ton for the clarification.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The single gain version on the BNVD with Echo tubes is a new thing just announced at Shot show.

View Quote

Is there a difference between 4G and Echo tubes from Photonis?  I see them used interchangeably.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Is there a difference between 4G and Echo tubes from Photonis?  I see them used interchangeably.
View Quote

Echo is like the XLS version of 4G. Basically didn't meet certain minimums for the the full 4G milspec rating. Echo tubes are very consistent across the board from what I've seen.

4G tubes will have higher gain and better spot spec allowances and probably other stuff but I don't know everything.

There's also 4G+ but I don't think those are available for civilian sales. Those are just even higher spec'd 4G tubes from my knowledge.

Basically photonis terminology sucks. Since I'm pretty sure the 4G tubes are what was considered "Intens" now renamed to just 4G.

Then you have dealers calling Echo tubes, "Echo 4G".

As I said the terminology sucks.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone can correct me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm hoping my order from lowdown is getting close. Im at like 15 weeks, my helmet and mount should be here this week. Ill give updates and pics when it arrives.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Photonis themselves are partially to blame for some of the tube name/marketing term confusion, as they've switched it up a couple of times over the last few years, similar to how Ops-Core ran with the S/M, M/L, L/XL helmet sizing just long enough for everyone to get used to it before switching to single-sizing and reconfusing everyone again.

At various times, Photonis has referred to the technological architecture of their image intensifiers as "4G Technology" as well as "Hybrid Multi-Alkali" and "HyMa," to a certain extent in an attempt to avoid comparisons to U.S. Gen. 2 technology, which to a certain extent is fair--Photonis has made advances to the basic technological architecture of Gen. 2 Multi-Alkali photocathodes, and current Photonis tubes are no more 1970s era Gen. 2 tubes as a Colt SP1 and KAC SR15E3 are the same rifle, despite being built and based on the same basic architecture.  

https://www.photonis.com/system/files/2020-10/Difference_Gen3_4G_english_version.pdf

Meanwhile, they've also used terms like "4G Standard" as well as "INTENS," "Elite," and "MIL-SPEC" at various times to describe their "military grade" tubes:

https://www.photonis.com/news/photonis-4g-standard-now-available-us-market

ECHO, as has already been said, is their "Commercial Grade" tube, however, U.S. ECHO specs are not the same as International ECHO specs.

For international markets, Photonis has both an "ECHO" spec, which is the lower grade and FOM limited (1800-2000 FOM), while the "ECHO+" is a 2000 Min. FOM unlimited (no Max FOM) tube.

To a certain extent, this bears some similarities to say Elbit's tube specs, in and that:

Commercial Grade:

ECHO = XLSH
ECHO+ = SLH

Military Grade:

4G = YH

However, this is not a perfect comparison in and that ESA's XLSH tubes are not FOM limited, and we have shipped units with 3000+ FOM (not common, but they do pop up), whereas international ECHOs are.

U.S. ECHOs, however, are somewhere in between the international ECHO and ECHO+, and are usually 1800 Min. FOM and not FOM limited. There is no "ECHO+" designation for the U.S. market.

Incidentally, the international 4G tube is also an 1800 Min. FOM unlimited tube.

For the international market, Photonis also has a 4G+, which is 2300 Min. FOM unlimited.

All clear as mud, I know.

Long story short, these tubes have gone by a lot of names over a relatively short period of time, and it can be hard for vendors/dealers to keep up with sometimes, much less the market-at-large, terms like:

4G Hybrid
Milspec
Milspec+
INTENS
4G ECHO

...etc., have all, pretty much at one time or another been "correct."

~Augee
View Quote

Good summary, Photonis' marketing is truly awful.

You explained the international 4G tubes but what about the US ones, any difference there like with the Echo's?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top