Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2013 9:31:31 PM EDT
I am interested in getting a bolt gun in .223. The purpose of this rifle is for fun, nothing more. I have narrowed the choice down to the two guns listed in the subject bar. If you have anything to help in making my final decision it would be appreciated. Please note the purpose of this rifle is fun on the range. Kindly refrain from suggesting other models or calibers, I'm set on one or the other in .223.

I do like the idea that the Mossberg can safely fire 556 but it's hard to beat a Remy 700. I know a lot of people are excited about the AR mags in the MVP thing but that is not as big a deal for me. Is there a real danger in accidentally popping off a 556 round in a 700 barrel? I know the MVP is a free floating barrel but I hear the Remy is a tack driver in this model too.

Any help would be great.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Rem 700.

You can have the chamber cut for. .223 Wilde, if that's important to you.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#2]
223 wylde is nice. My only concern with a 223 barrel is the odd chance a 5.56 round might find it's way in there. I shoot a lot of ARs and I wouldn't want something bad happening with a simple mix up in ammo.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 2:00:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a 700BDL and a 788 in .223. Didn't shoot much 5.56mm in the 700 but shot quite a bit in the 788. This was back in the early-mid 80's. At that time the concern over shooting 5.56 was not talked about so I didn't know of the issue. Never experienced a problem, winter or summer.

What I didn't like about the 700BDL was how over-sized the action is for the cartridge. I thought the blocked magazine was a PITA because during loading I had to make sure the cartridge was all the way back before pushing down. If a cartridge was just slightly forward it'd screw up the loading process. Out in a hot prairie dog town you want to spend time killing the diseased varmints instead of messing with your rifle. I eventually sold the 700BDL and kept the 788.

A relative had a Sako Vixen years ago which was sized to the 222/223 cartridges. Since handling the Vixen I've been sold on receivers downsized for the 223. Only issue was the $$ for a Sako. When I saw the MVP was downsized I was hopeful that accuracy reports would be favorable. It will be my next rifle purchase.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 2:30:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rem 700.

You can have the chamber cut for. .223 Wilde, if that's important to you.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 3:42:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is there a real danger in accidentally popping off a 556 round in a 700 barrel?
View Quote

Take a Hornady/Stoney Point OAL gauge and check the throat length.

I have yet to find a 700 223 made in the last 15 years(that I've been checking, don't find many older rifles in the shops) that has a shorter throat than a PTG 5.56 chamber reamer.

Link Posted: 12/1/2013 4:15:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a 700 SPS in 300 Blackout that is a tack driving fool so I'd have to lean that direction.  I've had no personal experience with the Mossberg but I have several friends that shoot them and like them a lot.  The Accu-Trigger is a big improvement over the old triggers.   I'd say both of those particular models are pretty heavy for a fun gun tho.

Rob
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I realize this does not directly address your question, but you really should consider Savage.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#8]
when I was looking at same question a while back I wound up going with a CZ527 instead of either option.  That said, I might lean towards the mossberg as it was a bit less money.  For a range toy i just wasn't willing to throw down the money I saw new 700s going for after I found a used 527 in .223 for $400.

The mossberg was appealing as the price was lower and the AR mags were interchangeable.  

Link Posted: 12/1/2013 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Mossberg MVP, and it's VERY accurate. That it takes M16 magazines is icing on the cake. But the Remington 700 is a bit more refined, plus there are parts & accessories actually available for it. The accessories market for the MVP is sorely lacking.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Get both.

Seriously get both they are good guns.

Remington 700 well because it's the 700, 'nuff said.

MVP because they shoot good, take easy to get mags and switching the barrel to different lengths or 300 black out is about as easy as changing a tire on your car.

The MVP pros:
It is not a short action with a small bolt face and a magazine filler. It is its own small action.
With a 20 inch barrel they only weigh 6.5 pounds.
They take the most common magazine in America.
They are pillar bedded in laminated stocks.The barrels are broach cut and free floated.
The MVP might be chambered 5.56 but I think its a Wylde version of 5.56 because the damn things shoot.

The MVP cons:
Hard to get unless you want pay above MSRP on auction sites.
Other than scope mounts, bolt knobs and barrels there isn't much aftermarket yet.

Take a look at what MVP owners are reporting on the web.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Remington 700. And don't look back. You will be pleased.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am interested in getting a bolt gun in .223. The purpose of this rifle is for fun, nothing more. I have narrowed the choice down to the two guns listed in the subject bar. If you have anything to help in making my final decision it would be appreciated. Please note the purpose of this rifle is fun on the range. Kindly refrain from suggesting other models or calibers, I'm set on one or the other in .223.

I do like the idea that the Mossberg can safely fire 556 but it's hard to beat a Remy 700. I know a lot of people are excited about the AR mags in the MVP thing but that is not as big a deal for me. Is there a real danger in accidentally popping off a 556 round in a 700 barrel? I know the MVP is a free floating barrel but I hear the Remy is a tack driver in this model too.

Any help would be great.
View Quote

the best way to choose would be to find someone local who has either of them, perhaps in your HTF. I've had the remy  (older) unit and now own the MVP.

Point to remington for loads of aftermarket acc.

What sold me on the MVP was mag compatibility with the AR. I have multiple rifles that utilize the AR magazine. That puts me 1 up over a fixed mag, non adjustable (factory) trigger of the remy.

Yes it's impossible to find a different stock, than the varmint or predator, mossberg provides. Buying a MVP is possible without being CTD'd price wise. I scored the 20" predator last year for $440.

The only items i am changing out for now is the 2pc scope mount to a EGW 1pc and modifying the mag release
I did thread the predators bbl. I like the weight and balance of the mid weight fluted bbl. Accuracy does not wander wander with a hot bbl. Those who have shot it were impressed with overall function, accuracy , especially when suppressed.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Of the two mentioned I would go with the 700 without question, I have a couple 700s in 223 and they both were accurate right from the box.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok. Next question. Better scope for a 223. 3x9 or 4x12? Part of me wants to go with the 4x12 to really maximize the range but is this a little overkill for a 223?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I am a 700 fan, having owned a few, but the MVP is just too neat.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a rem 700sps tac. 308, and a Mossberg MVP 5.56. More than likely I will be selling my rem700 for the MVP 308. The MVP is a track driver.

Mossberg MVP

sighting in the MVP

out playing around

all shots were taken at 100 yards with 55g FMJ

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Picked up a R700 ADL Varmint at cabelas and it has a short throat.  So much so I had so seat 55gr NBT's at 2.235" (.005 jump) where I normally seat at 2.255" for the ar15.  

Quoted:

I have yet to find a 700 223 made in the last 15 years(that I've been checking, don't find many older rifles in the shops) that has a shorter throat than a PTG 5.56 chamber reamer.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there a real danger in accidentally popping off a 556 round in a 700 barrel?

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
223 wylde is nice. My only concern with a 223 barrel is the odd chance a 5.56 round might find it's way in there. I shoot a lot of ARs and I wouldn't want something bad happening with a simple mix up in ammo.
View Quote

All ammo is normally marked. The civilian stuff is marked .223 but if you get anything with the NATO cross which just looks like a + sign then it's 5.56. So a quick look at the back of the ammo you are firing is real quick and easy. Although I have had stuff that wasn't marked with either I am pretty sure it was still 5.56 because of the military crimp being in it still. I guess I'll find out if my gun explodes when I reload said brass it lol but I'm sure I'll be fine

Oh and as far as what rifle in my opinion I would go with the Remington 700.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ok. Next question. Better scope for a 223. 3x9 or 4x12? Part of me wants to go with the 4x12 to really maximize the range but is this a little overkill for a 223?
View Quote

You can only shoot as good as you can see. Go with which ever one gives the better picture.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top