Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 12/18/2004 5:18:45 AM EDT
I have a Smith & Wesson S.W.A.T knife made out of 440C steel. It is an almost perfect knife, but takes forever to sharpen. I've used Arkansas stones and the Lansky kit, but both take forever.

Would a diamond stone for the Lansky kit be faster? or is that kind of thing inappropriate for 440C steel?

Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:24:48 AM EDT
Try and EZE Lap Diamond followed up by a fine Spyderco ceramic. I do my 440C and even harder S30V in just a few minutes this was and they are like a razor.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:50:11 PM EDT
My roommate has a S&W Swat, took about an hour to put a 17 degree edge on it with a lansky (shaving sharp). Didn't need to use diamond stones. How long is forever to you? You can speed up sharpening 440 with a lansky by putting a compound edge on it, I find that this decreases time to touch an edge up to a 1/4 of the time it takes to do a single edge. I have purchased all the lansky diamond stones, and if they are indicative of most diamond hones (idk? only diamond stuff i own), then i can confirm that 440C will destroy the hones, not slowly either. A Medium I bought before christmas to sharpen knives i bought as gifts was pretty much done for in the center of the hone by the new year.
Page Armory » Blades
Top Top