Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2009 6:49:14 PM EDT
I get most of my brass from an outside range.  I use dillon media polish and crushed walnut media and it doesn't seem like my brass gets shiny like most ot the brass I see.  I usually run the tumbler for about 8 hours.  The brass usually has some tarnash on it when I start.  Any suggestions to get my brass shinier?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember a thread about Lemishine. Be right back with link hopefully.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=290529
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=285656
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#3]
The purpose of cleaning & polishing brass is so they do not scratch your dies. As long as they are clean, I wouldn't worry about how shinny they are.

my 2 cents
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Brass picked up from an outside range is dirty.  Especially dirty if it has been through a few rain showers and has some mud.  You can clean the dirt off in the tumbler, but then your tumbling media gets dirty fast.  I usually use my tumbling media in my rotary tumbler for many many batches of brass.  I pick up a lot of brass at my range and here is the procedure that has worked pretty well for me.  The dirty brass goes into a mesh bag.  I wash out as much of the dirt, rocks and mud as I can either in a laundry sink or by hosing off and agitating the mesh bag.   Then I dry the brass, spread it out on  towell(s) and separate the nested cases so they can dry.  After it is dry, I dump it unsorted into a 5 gal bucket.  When I'm in the mood for processing, I sort and tumble the sorted brass.  You can't tumble some unsorted cases as the pistol cases will nest together and bind up with a little media making a lot of extra work to get them apart.  When I tumble I use crushed walnut shells and a little Dillon media polish added to every 5th or 6th load or whenever I see the media not cleaning as well as it should.   One extra thing I do the prolong the life of the media is to put some pieces of t-shirt rag (maybe 6"x6") in the tumbler to absorb the dirt.  They come out very dirty and help keep the media cleaner.  I rinse and then wash these out in the washing machine (when I have a big batch ready) and reuse them.

this process will not remove tarnish which is caused by the action of acids in the soil, water and brass.  That tarnish (common on cases that have been on the ground for some time or cases that have been in contact with leaves) likely can only be removed with steel wool or some such mechanical process.  I don't bother to do so.  If the brass is clean, the tarnish makes no difference at all.   You just have a few brown cases in the mix.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Hello. My name is paul and I'm a brass whore (assembled crowd - Hi Paul ! )

I pick up a lot of outside range brass.  I use this stuff all the time.  It really gets rid of tarnish, cuts way down on tumbling time and extends the life of your media.

Birchwood Casey Brass Cleaner

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#7]

FIRE! They can only be cleansed by fire!!

Oh, wait, I thought I was in the zombie forum...carry on!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd suggest using corn cob media instead of walnut.  Get the right size (NOT from the pet store) and use polish, such as Dillon Rabid Polish.  Tumble 2-3 hours and it will shine like gold.  No dangerous lead-containing dust either.  

I do this but have older corn cob media that I use for dirty brass. I have some newer media in another tumbler that I use for a finer polish or to clean off lube.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top