Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 9/19/2009 3:34:21 PM EST
I managed to load a 223 round with a primer upside down. I need to have a long talk with quality control. How would it be best to decommision the round? Since the anvil side of the primer is exposed, is there a simple way to safe the primer? Any trick like putting a drop of ammonia, oil, etc. on the exposed side. I don't really want to start trying to use an impact puller to disassemble the round until the primer is not longer live. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:40:22 PM EST
Just carefully, slowly punch out the primer with your sizing die or universal depriming die. I've punched out hundreds, and never had one pop on me.

Another option is a magnifying glass on a sunny afternoon.....
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:42:43 PM EST
Problem is that the round is loaded, so I can't just deprime the case. I need to deactivate the primer.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:45:18 PM EST
Just pull the bullet and dump the powder................

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:18:45 PM EST
Depriming a properly primed case is not the same as your problem.

Pull and dump, and then you're probably safe to soak it in wd40 then do what you want with it. Smacking it with a hammer (with eyes on) would not be recommended, but we're talking about a primer, with no powder.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:27:54 PM EST
If it is only one case just trash it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:06:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 5:14:54 PM EST by ma96782]
I did several last night on .38 special rounds. I first pulled the bullets and powder.

Then.........

I used the old hammer and anvil method.

Actually, the LEE decapper and base tools (#90103 and/or #90102). They are real handy and don't cost all that much.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1253412182.462=/html/catalog/casecon.html

Because, the anvil isn't pressing against anything (since it's upside down) I just tap the rod and the primer falls out through the hole in the base (anvil). Never had one go off.

BTW, I wear eye protection and carefully pick up and dispose of the primer with GREAT caution. I wouldn't want one to go off in my hand while carrying. I figure, $%^* could happen.

Aloha, Mark

PS...........I don't re-use the "punched out" primers. That's me.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:34:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 5:35:15 PM EST by NMwaterfowler]
Originally Posted By ma96782:
I did several last night on .38 special rounds. I first pulled the bullets and powder.

Then.........

I used the old hammer and anvil method.

Actually, the LEE decapper and base tools (#90103 and/or #90102). They are real handy and don't cost all that much.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1253412182.462=/html/catalog/casecon.html

Because, the anvil isn't pressing against anything (since it's upside down) I just tap the rod and the primer falls out through the hole in the base (anvil). Never had one go off.

BTW, I wear eye protection and carefully pick up and dispose of the primer with GREAT caution. I wouldn't want one to go off in my hand while carrying. I figure, $%^* could happen.

Aloha, Mark

PS...........I don't re-use the "punched out" primers. That's me.

3 or 4 cents just isn't worth a failure

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:42:43 PM EST
Pull bullet, dump powder, deprime (slow and easy) with universal decapper.

Primers go off with a fast sharp blow, slow easy pressure does not set them off.

Wear eye protection.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:47:11 PM EST
Originally Posted By paradox998:
I managed to load a 223 round with a primer upside down. I need to have a long talk with quality control. How would it be best to decommision the round? Since the anvil side of the primer is exposed, is there a simple way to safe the primer? Any trick like putting a drop of ammonia, oil, etc. on the exposed side. I don't really want to start trying to use an impact puller to disassemble the round until the primer is not longer live. Thanks

perfect time to invest in a press-mounted bullet puller. at the slightest hint of an excuse, i immediately buy something. what can i say, i'm a tool whore

hornady cam-lock bullet puller
hornady bullet puller collet
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:19:53 PM EST
Contaminate primer with light oil. Much later. Pull the bullet and decap.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:52:53 PM EST
Throw it out after you pull the bullet and dump the powder.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:58:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 8:00:01 PM EST by joecnc2006]
Can't you just load it in the chamber and pull make the primer go off this way it will not explode at anything. I use to use primers with plastic bullets, primer went off and the air inside would force plastic bullet out for target practice, and they were reusable.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:07:39 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:57:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 8:58:42 PM EST by eweloader]
This is from a thread a few years ago:

"Killing" Primers
Q: Can you suggest something to chemically "kill" primers...
A: I checked with the CCI Chemical Department and their reply was that there is no way to "kill" unused primers. Many checmicals, oils, solvents, etc. will temporarily kill modern primer mixes, but when the primer mix dries out or the solvent evaporates, the explosive mix returns to its original sensitivity. ––David Andrews

I have read multiple examples of how to deactivate or not deactivate primers. Many experiments prove that you cannot.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:48:10 PM EST
Deprime it REALLY fast. But wear eye and ear protection.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:30:49 AM EST
Originally Posted By eweloader:
This is from a thread a few years ago:

"Killing" Primers
Q: Can you suggest something to chemically "kill" primers...
A: I checked with the CCI Chemical Department and their reply was that there is no way to "kill" unused primers. Many chemicals, oils, solvents, etc. will temporarily kill modern primer mixes, but when the primer mix dries out or the solvent evaporates, the explosive mix returns to its original sensitivity. ––David Andrews

I have read multiple examples of how to deactivate or not deactivate primers. Many experiments prove that you cannot.

This is my understanding also.

Dissemble round and do over.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:38:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2009 5:39:10 AM EST by SBR7_11]
Kill a primer ....... discharge it.

I have a tray of primed cases I fouled for a topic over at GLOCKTALK with a variety of substance about 2yr ago, there is still some sitting in the tray on top of the freezer yet today. I used a ZEP spray (similar to WD-40), a jar of water, synthetic motor oil, and trans cooler flush (alcohol-white mineral in aerosol can).

The water dried out and primer snap pretty normal. ZEP spray and cooler flush just degrade the "snap", with the motor oil being a quiet/faint sound... I suppose I could go out later and hit another round of cases...

Slowly push it out of the pocket and re-install in the correct fashion.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:08:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2009 6:13:30 AM EST by AeroE]
Top Top