Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2011 9:57:27 AM EDT
I'm going to send in a form 1 to SBR my semi SIG 552.  Where is everyone placing their manufacturer info on the rifle?  Pics are appreciated for illustration.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 3:11:17 AM EDT
[#1]
bump.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm going to send in a form 1 to SBR my semi SIG 552.  Where is everyone placing their manufacturer info on the rifle?  Pics are appreciated for illustration.

I am going to mark the barrel where it will be visible through one of the vents in my Swiss Arms railed fore-end (same design as B&T but made by Swiss Arms). The receiver is already so "busy" with all of the factory and import marks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am going to mark the barrel where it will be visible through one of the vents in my Swiss Arms railed fore-end (same design as B&T but made by Swiss Arms). The receiver is already so "busy" with all of the factory and import marks.

The place to ask this is in the SBR section,I know you want pictures of the Sig specifically, but I also don't want you to get bad information. It has to be marked on the receiver, since that is the part considered the firearm.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The place to ask this is in the SBR section,I know you want pictures of the Sig specifically, but I also don't want you to get bad information. It has to be marked on the receiver, since that is the part considered the firearm.

Not true. Read the NFA regs, the barrel is specifically listed as an approved place to mark.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#5]
The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model,
and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon.96 The
marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to
section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements

You learn something new every day. Google is your friend, and the F.A.Q. thread in the SBR forum is a gazillion pages long with outdated links.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:35:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm waiting on the Form1 for my 552 and was wondering the same thing.

With engraving on the barrel, what happens when I wear out the barrel and rebarrel it?
Is it something where it's ok to deface/remove the mfg info, but not serial number or do I need to get the new barrel engraved or what?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm waiting on the Form1 for my 552 and was wondering the same thing.

With engraving on the barrel, what happens when I wear out the barrel and rebarrel it?
Is it something where it's ok to deface/remove the mfg info, but not serial number or do I need to get the new barrel engraved or what?

The serial number is on the receiver, so no problem in this regard when rebarreling. You would just need to engrave your name and location on the new barrel prior to replacement.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#8]
The thing I'm wondering about, looking at the law:

922 (k)
"(k) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce. "
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/usc_sec_18_00000922––––000-.html

It only specifies serial, which is on the receiver, I'm wondering if it may be ok to re-barrel without re-engraving.
Certainly, you're required to mark it when you "manufacture" the thing (original barrel).

Don't know, probably thinking too hard.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The thing I'm wondering about, looking at the law:

922 (k)
"(k) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce. "
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/usc_sec_18_00000922––––000-.html

It only specifies serial, which is on the receiver, I'm wondering if it may be ok to re-barrel without re-engraving.
Certainly, you're required to mark it when you "manufacture" the thing (original barrel).

Don't know, probably thinking too hard.

You are thinking to hard my friend.

When you file a form-1 you are "making" an NFA regulated firearm, in this case a short barreled rifle.  It is required that you mark the firearm with the "maker's" information...ie name, city and state.  If it is marked on the barrel and said barrel is removed and a new barrel installed, you STILL must have the "maker's" information engraved on that firearm, thus you must engrave the info on the new barrel.  Engraving your information on the regulated part (the upper reciever) allows you to not have to re-engrave when swapping barrels.  Engraving on the barrel means that if you replace the barrel, your new barrel must also have your information engraved.  

There is no requirement to engrave a new serial number or to re-engrave the original serial number in a new location when making an NFA regulated firearm.  The maker must only engrave their name, city and state.

The serial number, as mentioned previously, is on the upper receiver of the SIG 55x series.  It is not being "removed, obliterated, or altered" in any way.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Josh,

I didn't explain myself well.
My thoughts were that it appears that you don't need to re-engrave your name/city/state on the new barrel if you re-barrel it.

This is my train of thought:
By marking the barrel when you manufacture it, you fulfill the manufacturing/marking requirements.
It is not illegal to deface or remove the mfg/city/state info, just the serial number (which is on the receiver).
Therefor, when you re-barrel, it is ok to not mark the new barrel.  (No requirement to do so, you were only required to mark it when you manufactured it)

I see it sort of as a variant of this:
You buy a firearm (any kind).  
The manufacturer marked the barrel with mfg/address, receiver with serial number.  You re-barrel.  
You aren't the manufacturer, you aren't required to put the manufacturer's info on the thing (and you aren't removing the serial number).  
No law is broken but you also don't have the mfg/city/state on the firearm anymore.

I guess it might get kind of weird being the manufacturer removing the barrel/markings without it leaving your possession.

It also appears that the federal law only requires a serial number.  I don't see a requirement to mark mfg/address.

"(i) Licensed importers and licensed manufacturers shall identify
by means of a serial number engraved or cast on the receiver or
frame of the weapon, in such manner as the Attorney General shall
by regulations prescribe, each firearm imported or manufactured by
such importer or manufacturer."

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/44
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/44/923

IANAL and all that.

It's getting late and I'll try to dig through the ATF rulings/policies on this later this week.
There's probably something that I haven't seen in there,

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top