Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2015 1:45:22 AM EDT
Wanted a great sharpener for both kitchen knives (have full sets of German made Henckels that are getting dull) as well as the ability to take EDC knives like random Spydercos or whatever.

I see a ton of stuff on Amazon but have zero idea what actually works. I remember there being a thread either here or in GD some time ago about a sharpener/system that practically everyone had or wanted to get but can't find it now.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:49:18 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.worksharptools.com/sharpeners-13/power-sharpeners.html

been using this with great success on all kinds of bladed tools. I have the Original version, very satisfied with it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:50:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Lansky system is pretty good for a decent price as well as the Spyderco Sharpmaker. Me i wish someone could recommend a good adjustable blade guide for use on larger stones.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:52:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Wicked Edge. It's the best.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a newbie with blades but I purchased the ken onion work sharp from amazon and have been very happy with it
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

been using this with great success on all kinds of bladed tools. I have the Original version, very satisfied with it.
View Quote

THIS

It's like cheating.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#6]
i use this : DMT a-pro
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Has anyone tried the new work horse guided sharpening system?

Saw it at Bass Pro as a new item and amazon reviews are excellent.

http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSGSS-Guided-Sharpening/dp/B00X9KU3GO

This looks interesting OP, might be worth the experiment?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#9]
The best is the kme. It's a similar system to the wicked edge and edge pro but has the ability to lock the blade in place unlike the edge pro insuring repeatable results. It's also,similar to the lansky. I've used the lansky for years and it will put a mirror edge on a blade if you get the full kit. It's only about $60-70 bucks too.

The KME is about $200 but will go a big step further in the repeatability of sharpening and will make anybody a master sharpener. For the money it's the best out there.

I was looking at the wicked edge ken onion edition but I've done a lot of homework first and found it to be lacking. You really need to check one out first. It will not do every knife. Sure you can take the guides off and free hand but then that defeats the purpose of buying a guided system in the first place. It may be quick but I feel there is better options.

So in my resource for the money the KME is what I have on the way. The wicked edge is the best but costs quite a bit more. Your looking at about $300-500 to get everything you get with the KME. Check them out.

KME
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the Spyderco Sharpmaker.  Probably not the best out there, but it's a good bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:33:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Sharpmaker.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:26:34 AM EDT
[#12]
If you are willing to spend the money the Wicked Edge is hands down the bet sharpener on the market. I occasionally sharpen peoples knives at gun shows and for a mirror polish job (sharp enough you can whittle hair) the cost is around $30 per knife.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#13]
My Tormek 2000 does an ok job, but if you aren't using a cheap 1" belt sander with 4 or 5 different belts, you're fooling yourself.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Lansky and just bought a Work Sharp. The Lansky works great on shorter blades, but the angle of the stone changes with longer blades. The work sharp is stupid easy to get a decent edge on, quickly. I think it will still take some learning and work to get a shaving sharp edge though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

I went for the WorkSharp system too, great sharpening with not a lot of effort.  I also have the Spyderco Sharpmaker but that takes so long on each blade.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I wish yall could agree on the best sharpener so I could buy one and not worry about it

So far Im liking the KME and the wicked edge.

Zero experience with knife sharpening.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:07:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I really like my KME sharpener.  Very good product and outstanding customer service.  I purchased the basic set up, and when I wanted to expand my capabilities I emailed the company with a few questions.   Received a response in a few days with some great advice.  

I also own a Spyderco sharp maker, which is a fairly decent sharpener for the price.  It really needs the optional diamond stones to be efficient.

Plenty of people like the work sharp.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've got the smaller version of that(guided field sharpener?) and it's great. I haven't had much luck with my regular Worksharp setup, but I can do really well with the field sharpener.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has anyone tried the new work horse guided sharpening system?

Saw it at Bass Pro as a new item and amazon reviews are excellent.

http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSGSS-Guided-Sharpening/dp/B00X9KU3GO

This looks interesting OP, might be worth the experiment?

I've got the smaller version of that(guided field sharpener?) and it's great. I haven't had much luck with my regular Worksharp setup, but I can do really well with the field sharpener.

I'm gonna second that. I have the field sharpener and I'm very happy with it. Time spent vs cost and the final edge, nice...
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Best sharpening system?  

Tormek T-7

You didn't say most affordable, you said BEST.  
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top