Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2016 7:55:52 PM EDT
Hello,

I think I hit the score of the year with this and it was a nice little Christmas present that's for sure.  Anyway, I had a friend that had some reloading equipment that has been in his garage for a few years he was not using and decided to trade me for some home made wine and apple cider.  The equipment shows some surface rust in places and Im pretty sure I am missing little things here and there.  Where would I go about finding a booklet on how all of this goes together and finding out what parts I am missing?  Is here a place better than others to find small parts?  And what would be the best way of removing surface rust on the presses?  

Thank you in advance.

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Almost every manual on earth is on the manufacturers website.  Download the manuals and start taking inventory.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/manuals-current/metalic-reloading/LNL_AP.pdf

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/manuals-current/metalic-reloading/LNL_Case_Feeder.pdf

I hope you gave him a LOT of cider for all that.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice.  Pitch the spraycan on the right in the trash.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#4]
You must make some damn good wine !!   Nice score.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Assuming that's a Hornady progressive and not a lee in conjunction with the rock chucker you got at least five hundred bucks right there.    Keep the man on your wine list.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you guys for the help.  What is the best way to remove surface rust from the presses?  My friend has been put on my wine club of the month
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Your friend better get wine and cider for at least a year or two from you, that is some pricey equipment brand new! Hornady provides a lifetime warranty so if you're missing anything just politely explain what you need to their CSRs and they'll get you squared away.

I have a Hornady LnL AP + Case Feeder assembly and it is great for loading in bulk once you get it dialed in. I still use my Lee Turret with auto-index removed for resizing/depriming/priming work.

Here's what I found works best:
0. Trim any brass that's overly long / discard worn out brass
1. Single stage or turret press for FL resize + deprime (+swage if mil brass)
2. Wet tumble with stainless media
3. Prime on single stage or Lee turret press (Lee primer dispenser is fast and easy to flip 100 primers... I'd rather not mess with primer tubes)
4. Load ammo on LnL AP. 1st = powder. 2nd = powder cop. 3rd = bullet seating. 4th = crimp die. 5th = empty

YMMV but having multiple presses gives you some nice options for sure.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the best way to remove surface rust from the presses?
View Quote

On the smooth areas I would use 000 steel wool.

On difficult to clean areas (e.g., knerling on dies) I would use a wire brush or wire wheel.

After corrosion is removed, oil well to prevent it from returning.

I use BreakFree CLP on all of my reloading equipment and use synthetic engine oil on press rams.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#10]
As others have said, nice score.

I would start off by throwing out the three spray cans in the pic as there's no tellingly how old that stuff is, and sitting in a non-temp controlled garage probably didn't help the case lube and Hoppes remain in tip top shape.

I also don't see a scale in the pic, so picking one up will be a must.

Next step, crack open that Lyman manual and start reading the how to sections. Nothing worse than spending time and money doing things to find out it was done wrong and may lead to unsafe or sub optimal handloads.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#11]
get some brass wool and coat it with gun oil.  Your surface rust should clean off easily. If your dies are showing signs of rust, throw them in a tumbler full of corn cob media for an hour or so. They will come out looking like new.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't trash the one shot... Use it sparingly on your pistol cases with the progressive..  You'll thank me later.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#13]
As said, some steel wool or a wire brush will get the rust off with a proper cleaner. Hell, put that gun cleaner to use and use that.

Looks like you are missing the plastic tube for the powder hopper as well as the spring there. I'd bet you may be missing the primer feed tray and/or primer feed spring. That press has 2 primer slides (small and large). It looks like you have the primer explosion shield, there is also the primer tube which goes inside that shield. Again theres 2, a large and a small. As well as the primer tube feeder, which is itself just another long tube with a clip on one end and a plastic little primer pickup piece on the other. 

You have 2 shell plates but you will need to see if they have the number on them. As I recall some Hornady shell plates are not labeled. But one will be the icnluded shell plate, and you have the case for the other. I dont hav the bullet feeder so no idea whats needed there. 

Anyways I'm happy to go get some pics of my LNL AP for you if you want to see how its put together and what you might be missing.

Nice score.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 10:26:42 PM EDT
[#14]
OP looks great

welcome to the addiction

and good luck,  nice score
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 3:10:10 AM EDT
[#15]
When I got my used Rock Chucker it, too, had surface rust on the entire length of the handle rod and on the top of the ram.

000 steel wool and some 3-In-1 oil took it right off.

Nice score. The two presses alone sans "ammo plant" accessories would cost in excess of $500 new.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:45:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys you have all been a help.  I do have a few other questions for ya.  As I am going though the Hornady LnL AP press, I am noticing some items that are missing.  Several of them I can find but others are not listed as replacement parts.  Such as the drop tube for the case feeder or the V Blocks. The case feeder to push the shell into the press.  Is this something Hornady will be able to help with as it seems they don't sell them as spare parts?

Thank you for the help

Pictures of my bench in progress!

I know the case feeder is on backwards, I was still setting up my bench.  Finished the day with a home brewed English Cider.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:01:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Call Hornady. Tell them you need parts that wore out or broke (or got lost). Likely, they will ship them free.. Worst case, they may charge a few bucks. More likely free.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:11:41 AM EDT
[#18]
nice
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top