Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 7:38:07 AM EDT
Close range, long range, or??? What if the rifle is to be used for both? What do you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Leupy MRT 1-5 (i think that's the mag)  good eye relief, kind of like the jack of all trades.  In my opinion the best compromise b/w price, close range work and l/r work...  The short dot is nice I hear but wow what a price tag...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd listen to 0612Devil and go with a Leupy MRT 1-5.  I've got an Aimpoint on mine and the extra magnification would be sweet on those longer shots.  For snap shooting an Aimpoint or Eothingy can't be beat though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an Aimpoint on mine and it is Captain Billy's whizbang.  I am thinking about the Leupold also for this rifle.  At present the Aimpoint has made this rifle a great combat piece.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#4]
EOTech or Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#5]
eotech
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:24:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Aimpoint on mine; works great for CQB.  It's on a quick release mount so
I'm thinking of getting the 2nd gen mount for a scope (the two point mount).  Perhaps a something
upto a 10x.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#7]
EO Tech works great!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:10:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:55:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Aimpoint on mine, but the EOtech is also a good choice.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
EOTech or Aimpoint.

+1
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#11]
How about the new Nightforce 1-4X?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Eo tech 512 works great!!!

Slug-O-Matic
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Do the users of the Eotechs have any issues with the sight being that far above the rifle?  

Also, aimpoint users, what mounts are you using for the aimpoint?  also, what scope mount are you using? (SEI? ARMS?)

Does anyone use the Leupy MR/T 1.5x5?  I'm intrigued by that but I think the 1.5 might be a bit high for magnification for CQB situations.  Also, if anyone is using one of the new IOR 1.1x4 scopes do drop a line back as I'm REALLY interested in how those stack up...

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Do the users of the Eotechs have any issues with the sight being that far above the rifle?  

Also, aimpoint users, what mounts are you using for the aimpoint?  also, what scope mount are you using? (SEI? ARMS?)

Does anyone use the Leupy MR/T 1.5x5?  I'm intrigued by that but I think the 1.5 might be a bit high for magnification for CQB situations.  Also, if anyone is using one of the new IOR 1.1x4 scopes do drop a line back as I'm REALLY interested in how those stack up...

I can only answer your first question about the EOTech: The only issue I have is that the sight is up high enough that your cheek weld (really only useful with the irons) is more like a "chin weld". But there is no way to get an EOTech low enough to use a proper cheek weld. A BlackHawk cheek rest with all the pads in it is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#15]
CMO Combat Elite IR over 10 years old, built like a tank, illuminated German post / cross bar / dot  reticle, fast, 4x, BAC, proper eye relief, can use my irons under it, low on an ARMS 18.  This scope was retired off my ARs  when I went with the ACOG TA31F.  Works great on my bush rifle project, repeats zero (witness marks for screw torque).

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
CMO Combat Elite IR over 10 years old, built like a tank, illuminated German post / cross bar / dot  reticle, fast, 4x, BAC, proper eye relief, can use my irons under it, low on an ARMS 18.  This scope was retired off my ARs  when I went with the ACOG TA31F.  Works great on my bush rifle project, repeats zero (witness marks for screw torque).
members.cox.net/airbiscuit/M1Abushscope%20R.jpg
members.cox.net/airbiscuit/M1Abushscope%20L.jpg

Nice rig...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I did not have a problem with how high it sat on my SEI mount, (like Slug-O's) but I did
have a problem with empty brass hitting the bottom of the EOTech and jamming the rifle.
It jammed maybe 3 times in 400 rounds, but that is way to much for me.

I removed the SEI mount and moved my EO out in front of the receiver - all is good now.

I also have a vintage Leupold M8 that is forward mounted. It is a fixed 2.5X scout scope.

If you go with a side/over the receiver type mount I would duplicate Airbiscut's setup,
an MR Leupold or a 1x Aimpoint in a LaRue lite ring.

HTH ~
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Ideally, it would be a 1-5 Leupold MRT w/qd rings (I'd look to Larue first!) per 0612 Devil's and H20's rec.  Great piece of glass for something like this.  However, I've always liked that Elite IR and reticle, it was getting lonely in my gun closet, didn't want to sell it, so it got sprayed with my bush rifle and works great.  Need to tinker with the bdc drum to remark it for 7.62.  Suck thing is the bdc knob has detents on the underside of the drum rim, unlike aftermarket bdc knobs or ones you can but for a standard scope.  So, I need to hope some of the clicks on my 5.56 M193 have a corresponding range for 147 gr. 7.52 nato.  As an aside, I wouldn't mount anything down on the barrel unless I had a Sage like H20.  Too hot and I'm less than impressed with that SA scout mount.  I know SEI's mount is better, but man, I like the ARMS 18 w/ a qd scope.  I lucked out and this setup allows use of irons while on the rifle with the ARMS18.  Also, needed a USGI ejector, ejector spring, and extractor to clear the ARMS18 mount.  Those things should be replaced on an SAInc bolt (forged) anyway IMHO.  Interestingly I was getting 20% FTE, swapped out the ejector and spring (almost 1/4" shorter than USGI !), and went to 100% 2 o'clock ejection, farther but a tight pile, and no more brass dents on the underside of the mount.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#19]

My CompML2x2 works great on my SOCOM(ARMS mount). I'm not much of a fan of optics with batteries, I prefer ACOGs, but in a scout position my Aimpoint has served me very well. The fact that the battery will last many thousand hours has helped sway my opinion. Also, the fact that it is half the price of an ACOG doesn't hurt either!

Have a good one.

Oopps, let me get that pic fixed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
IOR VALDADA 1.1X4 Illuminated

i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/Lethal_Addict/M1aMODw-Paraclete.jpg

How do you like the scope?  What reticle do you have for that?  also, what height rings are you using?  I'd be really interested to get your feed back on it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Excellent replies all. Thanks a lot!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top