Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/8/2004 4:39:49 AM EST
I am getting tickled by the FAL bug, and am just learning about them. I am planning a Build using a Coonan rec. from FAC. I think I want to cut the barrel down to 16" as I like my 16" AR better than my 20" AR.

Any hints to where to get the best kit for the money? I am thinking I want to do a Metric kit, but let me know if that's not a good idea.

Thanks,
Eric
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:36:57 AM EST
metric is the way to go; proliferation of parts is much greater.
probably the nicest kits from vendors are DSA's STG kits for $300 if they still have them.
lots of imbel kits in more used shape out there for 160-200 which are usually nicer inside than out.
i'd suggest a bit longer barel than 16"
i have a 16.5 carbine that's alot of fun and super handy but if it were to be my only FAL i'd go 18"
coonan receivers are great. i've built 3 now and plan two more at least
where you at in MI? maybe you can sample my 16.5" & 18" (para) rifles before you cut.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:05:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2004 5:54:24 AM EST by Shi_Huang_Di]
I picked up a DSA STG58 parts kit for $295. I put it on an Imbel receiver and used the correct compliance parts, but it has been a wonderful rifle. About a thousand rounds so far, and not one hiccup.

DSA STG58 Kit

Metric is the way to go.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:35:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/9/2004 11:35:40 PM EST by Agcsy]
STG kits are nice but pricey. For a carbine i would probably pick up an imbel kit.
www.ammunitionstore.com has R1 kits for $149 they are supposed to be in decent shape.

www.gunthings.com I think they also have some imbel kits in stock available in different grades.

Also keep an eye on the market place over at the falfiles people sell kits there all of the time.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:30:10 AM EST
I have one of the kits from the Ammunition Store in my livingroom as we speak - a friend bought it at my advice, and it doesn't look too bad - for $150, it's well worth the money... The outer finish IS pretty rough, but nothing a re-finish or paint job wouldn't take care of... The bore looks pretty good, and the lower isn't bad, either - the only truly ratty parts were the top cover(cheap to replace), and the charging handle - which is going to be a 922 compliant replacement part, anyways...

There is a long running thread in reviews at the FALfiles about these kits, and it appears that anyone who got a lousy bore is having it replaced - Robert at the AS seems to be doing a good job of making sure people get a buildable kit for their money...

I'd give it a shot, if I were you...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:32:23 AM EST
Thanks for the info guys. I can refinish in Moly Resin without to much trouble (have done a few Ak's) so I am not to worried about the finish. I want a good bore however, as there is nothing that I can do to fix that. Is the DSA worth twice as much as the Ammo Store SA?
Thanks,
Echap
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:19:46 PM EST
If you really want a good bore, you could get a new US made barrel from DSA and match it up to the R1 kit. The "military replacement bores" run $175 with the gas block and tube installed. It wouldn't be chrome lined, but the SA58's seem to do nicely with the standard 4140 button rifled barrels. That also gives you another compliance part. That was my plan before I wussed out and just bought a FAL of the EE.

Another option might be to scan through the classifieds on the FALfiles.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:14:29 PM EST
If DSA still has the complete StG58 front ends for $99.95, get one now while you can and get the $150 South African kit from Ammunition Store. You will have about the same money in these two as one StG58 kit from DSA. The StG58 barrels are the gold standard for military F A L barrels. I have 4 of these front ends and I would not sell them for 3 times what I paid fro them. The two that I have built into complete rifles consistantly produce MOA using Aussie AAF/F4 milsurp ammo and iron sights.

If I were in the market for more F A L kits, this is the route that I would go.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:24:27 PM EST
I snagged a L1A1 kit minus handguards and butt plate for $45 at Knob Creek. What a Steal. Don't think they knew what they were selling. Waiting on the reciever now.

No blue and dirty, but it cleaned and parked up nice.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:06:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By Ironhorse6:
I snagged a L1A1 kit minus handguards and butt plate for $45 at Knob Creek. What a Steal. Don't think they knew what they were selling. Waiting on the reciever now.

If you are in the market for an inch receiver ORF is selling metric imbel receivers they modified to look like inch cut ones.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:13:01 PM EST
Do you really want to build one? or are you trying to save a few dollars? or both?

MT
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:12:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By Agcsy:

If you are in the market for an inch receiver ORF is selling metric imbel receivers they modified to look like inch cut ones.

How much. I just ordered an imbel from FAC, but I may have to get one from ORF and save the other for later. Maybe they can take mine and machine it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:53:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By Agcsy:

How much. I just ordered an imbel from FAC, but I may have to get one from ORF and save the other for later. Maybe they can take mine and machine it.

I cant remember off the top of my head but they have them listed on their page in the online store section.
Top Top