Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/2/2006 1:31:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 1:31:56 PM EDT by P806]
I will be adding a 3 round extension for my 870 and when researching this I've found several different manufacturers. Which is best and where to buy? Do we have a vendor here tht sells them?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:54:50 PM EDT
Best place to buy MOST shotgun accessories: Brownell's Gunsmith Supply:
www.brownells.com/
Be sure to ask for a free catalog, it's the best catalog of "gun stuff" in the world.

Best extension for all around quality/price is Choate:
www.riflestock.com/
Buy direct, or from Brownell's.
The Choate comes as a complete kit, with the extension in black sulfate or gray parkerized finish, a heavy-duty magazine follower, a front sling swivel, a longer spring, and the barrel clamp.
USE THE CLAMP.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:43:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
www.brownells.com/
Be sure to ask for a free catalog, it's the best catalog of "gun stuff" in the world.

www.riflestock.com/
The Choate comes as a complete kit, with the extension in black sulfate or gray parkerized finish, a heavy-duty magazine follower, a front sling swivel, a longer spring, and the barrel clamp.
USE THE CLAMP.

Outstanding post, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:46:49 PM EDT
+1 on the Choate... That is what I went with for my rig.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:34:03 AM EDT
I have to say that the best (not cheapest) 870 mag extension is sold by Vang Comp Systems. It is milled from a single piece of steel and thus is very stong. Not sure if it is available in a three shot (i.e. for a 20" barrel) but definetly available in one shot and two shot versions.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:24:45 AM EDT
I have factory extensions & they are all I use. Tried Choate & just didn't like it as much.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:57:43 AM EDT
Go with a factory Remington extension. If I HAD to go with an aftermarket, I would go with Choate.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:07:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Milldude:
Go with a factory Remington extension. If I HAD to go with an aftermarket, I would go with Choate.

+1... I've used both, and neither one gave me any troubles, but when in doubt, stick with the factory...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:26:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
www.brownells.com/

www.riflestock.com/
USE THE CLAMP.

How do you request the free catalog. I only see the one for $5. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:38:55 PM EDT
"How do you request the free catalog"?

Buy something. When you place the order, ask for a free catalog.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:07:08 PM EDT
Anyone have any issues with the Scattergun Technologies +1?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:58:29 AM EDT
Anybody use the TacStar extensions? They are cheap ($45).

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:22:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 11:26:39 AM EDT by dfariswheel]
Tac-Star DID cost about the same as Choate, but it looks like the Choate is now an even better deal.
Here's Brownell's pricing:
Choate:
www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=4203&title=SHOTGUN+MAGAZINE+EXTENSION

Tac-Star:
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=13101&title=SHOTGUN+MAGAZINE+EXTENSION

While the Choate comes as a complete kit with the extension, spring, heavy-duty follower, barrel clamp, and a sling swivel, the Tac-Star comes only with the spring.

Tac-Star has at least SOME history of quality problems like out-of-round tubes or collars, tubes that are canted at an angle, or tubes that separate from the collar due to poor welding.

The Tac-Star does come in blued or parkerized, and clamps can be bought as an extra.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:54:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By VWTim:

Tim,
I have the SG Tech +2, not the +1, but have nothing but positive things to say about it. Built sturdy, reliable, looks good.

copperhead
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:21:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Copperhead16:

Originally Posted By VWTim:

Tim,
I have the SG Tech +2, not the +1, but have nothing but positive things to say about it. Built sturdy, reliable, looks good.

copperhead

Thanks for the info, I ended up getting a +1 over the weekend and installed it last night. very solid piece of steel. I thought of +2, but don't need to keep putting more stuff on the front, the SF fore end already weighs it down some. And this way I can put a box of ammo in the mag.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:43:26 AM EDT
+1 extensions work well with 18.5" and longer barrels and +2s work for 20" and longer, correct?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:47:04 AM EDT
Just curiouse as to why the Wilson stuff isnt mentioned more. I have the +2 on my 870 and really like it . I have had the Wilson extension now for w few years and no issues yet. Just wondering if folks have had Issues with them?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:56:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 11:58:26 AM EDT by dfariswheel]
The main issues with the Wilson, Vang, and Tank's Rifle Shop extensions are a matter of price..... They're expensive.

The main issue with the Remington factory extension is high price, and difficulty if finding them.

The only problem I ever encountered with Wilson was a period of time where they had problems with some defective springs.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:02:17 PM EDT
The extensions I've used on 870's are the factory extension and the Scattergun Technologies. Nothing wrong with either. However, I like the factory tube the best.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:40:16 PM EDT
Wilson's aren't that expensive, about $45 from Midway. I got my +1 on inventory reduction for $38. Also the +2's will fit perfectly on a 18.5" barrel, you need a 20" to fit the +3's.
hth,

Top Top