Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2005 6:11:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/22/2005 6:12:46 PM EST by Dawg180]
So I dropped the cash down on a CMP Garand (still waiting for it to show up) and in the meantime I would like to know what books are the best references for identifying the parts, serial numbers, and accessories of the Garand. I am assuming there must be a Scott Duff book or Bruce Canfield book that covers this fairly thoroughly?

Also, there appears to be some collectablility of Garand bayonets based on manufacturer? Anyone want to help me out a bit on this?

Thanks,

Dawg
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:02:42 PM EST
hi dawg,
i think those two are pretty highly recommended at battlerifles.com, but i really like the "collector grade publications" books on weapons.....they have the most historical info for any particular design......
also, if you like diy, the kuhnhausen shop manual on the garand is THE reference book on maintanence .......
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:58:11 AM EST
There are several Scott Duff books on the M1 Garand. I can think of at least 3 or 4 and there are probably more. His owners guide is geared more towards the "care and feeding" of the Garand and the rest are geared more towards the historical and collecting end. He is pretty much the Yoda of the M1 collecting side of it. There are also several collectors groups as well with monthly mags. The biggest is the Garand Collectors Association (GCA) and is well worth getting. Do a Google search and you can find all of this and more.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:23:18 AM EST
Duff's books are ok, he really doesn'ts get into the fine details, just enough information to let you know the differences in parts and stocks with timelines. Poyer's or Hatcher's books are good too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:30:54 PM EST

I have Scott Duffs book on WWII Garands and find it quite detailed . The GARAND COLLECTORS
ASSOCIATION has a quarterly mag. that's usually pretty informative but narrowly focused . Don't expect much more than that from joining .
Top Top