Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2009 10:09:35 AM EST
For an on the move kit for use in a SHTF situation, what's the better setup?

I like the idea of a chest rig, but I've heard that with chest rigs that prone shooting can be hard.

Would a bag or bandolier or some kind be a better solution?

If it matters, my SHTF plan is grab the wife and dog (yea, he's gotta come too), hit the 4x4 and take the shortest route to the bug out place out in the boonies.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:11:26 AM EST
FWIW my minimalist rig is a home made mini-mav with 3 AR mags, 1 pistol mag, and a multitool pouch (can also be a pistol mag but I use it for the multitool)
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:12:35 AM EST
Man you are going to get all kinds of responses to this. It's all up to personal opinion. Sort of like asking what your favorite color is. For me, a tactical vest is handy, but when I raise my rifle to fire, the vest rises up also and digs into my neck. I've recently bought an Eagle Universal chest rig and so far so good. It doesn't hold any armor or anything, but its versatile and light, which is what I like.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:07:25 AM EST
There are as many answers to this question as there are members on this sight. Whatever you decide, build or acquire kit that meets YOUR needs, not what other people tell you is cool or what you need. Decide what you want it to be able to do and go from there. How many rifle mags? Pisol mags? 1st aid stuff? Flashlight? You might get by with nothing more complicated than a claymore bag.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:23:50 PM EST
JTB pretty much nails the proper response... This is a question that ultiamtly only YOU can figure out what works best for YOU.

What I will recommend, is pick a direction and start to build that way.....chest rig, vest, PC, shoulder bag, etc.... and try it out. Go hike with it, go drive with it, wear it camping, wear it around the house, etc. Try it out and figure it out while you have the time and luxury. Like the one poster said. "it hit me in the neck when I raised my shoulders to shoot". During the SHTF scenario is NOT the time to find out something doest work.

And hell, have fun.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:30:01 PM EST
there is none
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:31:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/11/2009 8:33:26 PM EST by dudeskis]
My Pick to be used with your fav. backpack.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:50:28 AM EST
The best set-up is the one you have WITH you at the time.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:52:16 AM EST
do the arfcom thing, get both. i've got both a chest rig setup for when i'm carrying a BOB. i also have a full on armor rig.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:10:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By dudeskis:
My Pick to be used with your fav. backpack.

http://www.skdtac.com/v/vspfiles/photos/EAG.567-2T.jpg

This ^^^. My best friend and I ran 2 of them through a 2-day carbine class, had no problems w/low crawls or shooting from prone.
Mine's currently set up w/2 drinking bottles in a pouch on the left hip, first aid on the right hip, had no problems at all moving to or shooting from unconventional positions like rollover support-side prone.
Tomac

Top Top