Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2005 6:23:23 AM EDT
Please submit your recommendation to outfit my bedroom cannon, with which to help any would-be intruders to "come into the light".

Pics greatly welcome -- thanks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:01:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Surefire 618FA or 918FA

+1

The only way to go.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:51:45 AM EDT
[#3]
My vote would go to the Pentagon X3. It is quite bright at 135 lumens for 60 minutes. It is also recoil isolated, so you won't have the problems of bulbs breaking under the rigors of shooting, like some other more expensive lights (*sough* sufrefire *cough*). They have gold plated connections and are much less expensive than their competitors with the same type of quality and performance. Many Ar15.com retailers can get you this light for around $80. Here are some more details for the Pentagon X3...
Pentagon X3

I chose a Daniel Defense offset light mount to attach the light to the rail. You can find a cheaper light mount, but I've had great success with the Daniel Defense products in the past. I found this on the Equipment Exchange from another member at a great deal. Details of the Daniel Defense offset light mount can be seen here...
Daniel Defense offset light mount

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#4]
To attach the light and mount to the gun, I chose a triple rail mount I purchased from AR15.com retailer, BrightFlashlights. It's a pretty tight fit for the first inch of the magazine tube, but after that, it slides freely until you bolt it down with the supplied hex bolts. It is made from aluminum instead of plastic, like some cheaper mounts, and thus will not stretch. It features a rail on each side of the tube and one on the bottom.  The only complaint is that there was a gap between the rail mount and the barrel, but that was easily fixxed with some electrical tape cut to fit. Here's a couple of pictures of the triple rail mount on someone else's gun provided to me by BrightFlashlights...
triple rail mount 1
triple rail mount
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:54:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Surefire 618FA or 918FA

Velly nishe.

But $$$ching-ching$$$ and ouch  ! ! !

The price on the maker's web site is nearly what I paid for the gun. Anybody know of a more discount supplier?
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Surefire 618FA or 918FA

Velly nishe.

But $$$ching-ching$$$ hock.gif and ouch he

Dude, didn't you hear me? Get the Pentagon. It's is every bit the quality light as the Surefire at half the price. Surefire is terribly overpriced because they WERE the only kid on the block. Not so any longer. "IM" me for a dealer who can get you the most awesome deal on the Pentagon (and when I say awesome, I mean awesome, trust me, I've shopped around.).
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Surefire 618FA or 918FA

Velly nishe.

But $$$ching-ching$$$ and ouch  ! ! !

The price on the maker's web site is nearly what I paid for the gun. Anybody know of a more discount supplier?

If you want a surefire contact BrightFlashlights.  He is a member here and sells surefire lights much cheaper than Surefire's price.

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 11:06:05 PM EDT
[#8]
my only experience w/ a shot gun mounted light is w/ the surefire fore end.  i feel that it is worth the money regardless of it being near the price of the gun.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 12:08:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
my only experience w/ a shot gun mounted light is w/ the surefire fore end.  i feel that it is worth the money regardless of it being near the price of the gun.

+1
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:01:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Surefire 618FA or 918FA

I picked the SF 918A because I already had an M900 on my carbine.  Instant redundancy and spare parts.  I got it while I was still living in VA, from C4iGrant at G & R Tactical.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:09:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Hmm....How about a tritium front-dot/ghostring instead? Relative advantages/disadvantages over a tac light? (Although would having both be the most optimal?)

Probably should have included this in the original post. Just now thought of it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:10:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:21:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I like ghost ring sights on a tactical shotgun, but I firmly believe a good light is much more valuable. The pump shotgun almost requires a dedicated light, and while I acknowledge the expense of the SureFire fore ends, I have set up shotguns with other light mounts for friends and none of them came close to the utility of a dedicated fore end IMO. If the price is prohibitive, the light you have is better than the fore end you don't, no doubt about that, but if you can afford it, get the fore end...you will be happy you did.

Thanks ikor, and I hear ya' liability and ethics-wise. It's worth my hard-earned dough to get what will enable me to do-the-right-thing as well as cover-my-tush.

One point my feeble gray matter had considered from a tactical stand-point though: does the obvious revealing of my position by using a tac light then make ME a target (versus the safety of darkness that the tritium set-up would provide)?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
.....if I could only get one at a time, the light, IMO, should be the first addition.

Gotcha, and understand I'm just trying to think this thing through (plus have fun bullshitting with fellow gun-nuts...).

Truth-be-told, I first got this gun for local 3-gun matches, and early-on had to get a clamp-on banded front site to raise the sight line about a half inch above the factory bead (or otherwise continue to get my eye socket wacked by having to make too high of a cheek weld). This arrangement has worked well to get a natural point-of-aim with a comfortable weld. I sprung the extra few bucks at the time for a tritium dot version of the front sight, but there is so-far no rear sight. Haven't really felt a need for it in these matches, but am now thinking about what would be needed for real-world HD.

I had earlier always kept a handgun for the home, but now that I'm comfortable and experienced (somewhat) in handing it, I figure this cannon would be great as a fortress-bedroom weapon (still wouldn't want to be "house clearing" with it -- think I could retain the handgun better in a possible scuffle).

This shotty has impressed me in being so utterly destructive (), I want to "have my mind right" before taking on such a change. Luckily there's arfcom, so I new just where to seek advice.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#16]
BlackScot-

Ikor is right on.  A tritium sight allows you to see the sights; a light allows you to see the target.  I'd much rather have the latter if I could only have one.  

My 870 wears one of those "tru-glo" sights from Bass Pro.  The rifle-sighted choked barrel has a green dot front and two little red dots in the rear.  When I light off that 9v light, the front glows pretty bright.  They also make a slip-on bead version for plain barrels.  

Either way, I'd make the light your #1 priority.  

Not a good pic of the 870 or the SF M918A, but here's me shooting the shotgun stage at the 2nd VA Black Rifle Day:
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:59:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Well there certainly seems to be a swell of concensus. I've since read similar opinions in the shotgun chapter of Jim Crews' excellent "Some of the Answer" manual.

Also, I checked with BrightFlashlights and his price is about fifty bucks less than Surefire's. That's enough to make a difference. He also replied to my email very promptly and with full info on shipping and payment options. Made a pretty good impression.

Terdferguson, I appreciate your steer re. the Pentagon light, and agree the light itself appears to be a wholly sturdy unit. I also can see ikor's point though, that a dedicated forend is going to have some advantages over other types of mounts. (I got pretty disillusioned by a number of so-called "mounting systems" back when I was playing with turning an AR into a rocket ship.)

Sooooo, me-thinks one of these Surefires probably by now has my 870's karma on it.

Shall report back if/when something materializes, and muchose-grassyass to everyone for such good classic-arfcom feedback!
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 3:34:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Well there certainly seems to be a swell of concensus. I've since read similar opinions in the shotgun chapter of Jim Crews' excellent "Some of the Answer" manual.

Also, I checked with BrightFlashlights and his price is about fifty bucks less than Surefire's. That's enough to make a difference. He also replied to my email very promptly and with full info on shipping and payment options. Made a pretty good impression.

Terdferguson, I appreciate your steer re. the Pentagon light, and agree the light itself appears to be a wholly sturdy unit. I also can see ikor's point though, that a dedicated forend is going to have some advantages over other types of mounts. (I got pretty disillusioned by a number of so-called "mounting systems" back when I was playing with turning an AR into a rocket ship.)

Sooooo, me-thinks one of these Surefires probably by now has my 870's karma on it.

Shall report back if/when something materializes, and muchose-grassyass to everyone for such good classic-arfcom feedback! h.gif

Thanks, I felt for a while I was being ignored. lol. here
At the end of the day, you can't go wrong with Surefire. They make a HIGH QUALITY light. The SUREFIRE for end is an excellent product. I wouldn't hesitate to use one again. I just feel the Pentagon is a little better engineered, although the mounting options are admittedly not as good as a dedicated fore end like the Surefire. Now if Pentagon had a dedicated fore end like Surefire, that would be ecstacy.

Has anyone tried to retro fit a Pentagon light into a surefire fore end. They are both 1" diameter lights, right? This would be a product I'd buy tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:05:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Somebody actually listened to me.  

I am glad I could help.  Between my Dad and I, we have bought almost a dozen lights from him. Calvin really is a great guy to deal with.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#20]
get an LED flashlight. it'll hold up to the abuse better than a halogen bulb-type.
the Larue Battlelight works great if you have a rail

Battlelight on 870
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
get an LED flashlight. it'll hold up to the abuse better than a halogen bulb-type.
the Larue Battlelight works great if you have a rail.  

That is a nice looking shotgun.  +1 on the LED.  For indoor-only use, it'll give plenty of output.  Since I already have an M900 and M918, I'm (eventually) going to pick up a SureFire L6 or maybe just the KL6 Conversion Head so I can swap the LED module onto whichever gun is setup for indoor use, or if I'm going to be doing some extensive training with it, to minimize the chance of breakage.  

BT.  Handbook- How do you like the VFG on the shotgun?  Did it take some getting used to pumping that thing?  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone here ever heard of a Surefire Knockoff for an 870, the company's name has/had the word "Laser" in it, that's all I remember, but it was nearly identical to one of the older style 618's.    For the life of me I can't remember the name but I want to do a bit of research on them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:04:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like ghost ring sights on a tactical shotgun, but I firmly believe a good light is much more valuable. The pump shotgun almost requires a dedicated light, and while I acknowledge the expense of the SureFire fore ends, I have set up shotguns with other light mounts for friends and none of them came close to the utility of a dedicated fore end IMO. If the price is prohibitive, the light you have is better than the fore end you don't, no doubt about that, but if you can afford it, get the fore end...you will be happy you did.

Thanks ikor, and I hear ya' liability and ethics-wise. It's worth my hard-earned dough to get what will enable me to do-the-right-thing as well as cover-my-tush.

One point my feeble gray matter had considered from a tactical stand-point though: does the obvious revealing of my position by using a tac light then make ME a target (versus the safety of darkness that the tritium set-up would provide)?

according to the way that we train at work, you strobe the light and MOVE.  now of course that's kind of hard to do if you are barricaded of sorts in your bedroom or safe room.
some of our shotguns have the wilson/SGT ghost rings w/ tritium front sight, but even those w/ just the bead you get all the back light you need when you light up and trigger press.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:06:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

DITTO...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top