Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2013 7:24:02 AM EDT
Just ordered an M&P 15-22. Shot a guy's this weekend, and it's an awesome lil' rifle. I want to get the quietest can for it. The can will pretty much live on this rifle.  I'll eventually gets threaded .22 pistol, but will still do nearly all the shooting with the can on the rifle.  So, rifle performance is king. I'm considering the following.  Let me know which is best, and don't hesitate to throw out a suggestion.

AAC Prodigy (hear that the rifle performance is awesome, but that FRP is meh)
AAC Element II (this seems more like a pistol can, and is way pricey...for me)
SWR Warlock II (cheaper and lighter than the Spectre II, I'm only shooting .22, so I don't need the Spectre, heard they both perform the same on .22)
Gemtech Outback IID (heard this is the best bang for the buck on size, went and performance...I'm concerned it won't be as quiet as others)
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I run a YHM Phantom 223/556 on my 15/22, I just put the same QD a is on my AR's & switch it out. Seems to work pretty well.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I run a YHM Phantom 223/556 on my 15/22, I just put the same QD a is on my AR's & switch it out. Seems to work pretty well.

Not recommended as it fills the can with lead.

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:34:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Most state that due to the leading, .22lr cans should be user serviceable.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Spectre II and Sparrow SS are the top rimfire cans right now.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Any user-serviceable .22 can should work. One of these days my Outback II is going to go solid on me.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#6]
On the 15-22 you will hear mostly ejection port noise when using subsonic ammo and just about any quality 22 can. Buying the quietest suppressor will not gain you anything over the runner ups as you won't be able to hear the difference. Any of the ones you listed should work fine as long as they are user serviceable. If you want a can that also looks like a full size AR can without the weight and has good suppression I suggest the Gemtech G5-22.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a gemtech g5-22 it looks just like the full size. There no first round pop has a QD

I can't hot link on my phone

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/G5-22-13p78.htm
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On the 15-22 you will hear mostly ejection port noise when using subsonic ammo and just about any quality 22 can. Buying the quietest suppressor will not gain you anything over the runner ups as you won't be able to hear the difference. Any of the ones you listed should work fine as long as they are user serviceable. If you want a can that also looks like a full size AR can without the weight and has good suppression I suggest the Gemtech G5-22.

View Quote

I use a Prodigy & Element 2 on my 15-22, with CCI standard velocity the bolt is the only thing you hear.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Pilot 2 and it works great on the M&P.  However, I wouldn't suggest it because the baffles are aluminum.  Get something that is stainless, as you have to be careful of the cleaning solvents used with the aluminum baffles.  The aluminum is light if that is your thing, but the ss cleans easier.  Any good quality can will suppress to Hollywood quiet levels with subsonics.  IMO, buy SS can at a price point you like.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I use a Prodigy & Element 2 on my 15-22, with CCI standard velocity the bolt is the only thing you hear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for making my point.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a gemtech g5-22 it looks just like the full size. There no first round pop has a QD

I can't hot link on my phone
http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/G5-22-13p78.htm
View Quote

Was not aware of this product. Thanks. Might have to make some inquires.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Just buy a Sparrow and be happy
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#13]
My gemtech alpine does great on my MP 1522
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#14]
A little heavy, but how about a Kestrel 556.  The 1.5" looks right at home on the 15-22 and other AR15 22LRs.  AND...if you have an AR....you could use it on that platform also.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the Outback II, and it is a decent can, but there are better cans out there now.  My pick would be the Specter II with the Sparrow in a close second.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Warlock II. Quiet, easy to disassemble when dirty, and light weight-3 oz., which is something you will definitely want on a 16" barrel.
And start stocking up on subsonic ammo, because no suppressor will make it Hollywood quiet on a 16" barrel without subs. There will still be a very loud sonic crack. Look for velocity around 1050 fps and less.
As stated by someone else, most all 22 cans are gonna be pretty close in suppression, so I would pick a less expensive one and spend the savings on subsonic ammo. Your ears and wallet will thank you.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I only have experience with the G5-22 & it works great, I'm very pleased.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top