Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2002 8:46:05 AM EDT

Just wondering what the best state to get a CCW is.

I'm particularly interested in:

Ease of obtaining.
Number of reciprocity agreements.
Duration of validity.
Least intrusive appliaction process.

Anyone?
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#1]
AZ is pretty cool.

Fairly easy to get..  you can already carry open, so when you get your CCW your set.

there are at least 3 or 4 states with recip.

but you could find out at www.packing.org/
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#2]
For all the requirements EXCEPT reciprocity, it would be Vermont!! (I know.. just kidding!!)

Check www.packing.org.
They have alot of goor info, but remember, it's not the law.

{dammit, someone else bet me to it!!}
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#3]
All of them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Alabama is the pits, always to warm to wear a jacket.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Tatjana:

I think that FL is a good state.  Fee is $117.00 plus the class/photo/fingerprints.  The link below shows reciprocity.  I don't know the duration since my wife has the CCW.  Application is via mail and is rather easy.

http://licgweb.dos.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

-White Horse

Edited to add the following link that should answer all of your questions:

http://licgweb.dos.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Alaska is fairly easy.  $200 (includes class, background check, fingerprints and photo ID).  Good for 5 years. 13 states will honor Alaska permits.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#7]
In Alabama the fee is regulated by the county and it is kept to the cost of processing the application.  In this county it is $7.50 per year and the sheriff will issue to most anybody without a felony record, with the exception of domestic violence.  Also the police are very cool about individual carry.  At gun shows, you just remove the ammo and put a plastic tie in the action.  You get to carry you gun with you at the show.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Georgia is pretty easy. It will cost about $50.00. The permit will last for five years. The application is short and sweet. It will take about six months to get because of the background search done by the FBI. You will be finger printed. Reciprocity changes pretty frequently (from what I have been told). Georgia recognizes more CCW's from other states than states that recognize Georgia's. I believe this is because Georgia does not require any classes or proof of firearm proficiency. There are strict limitations where you can carry in Georgia. For example, no place that serves alcohol, public gatherings, etc. At least you can carry when you go for gas, or to the ATM.
Hope this helps.
ARH

Link Posted: 3/24/2002 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Washington is a nice system. Fee is $60.00 first time $32.00 for renewal. There is no class/training/test requirement. The permit is good for 5 years and non-residents can get permits but they must apply in person. Washington is a "shall issue" state that requires the permit to be issued within 30 days so long as the applicant is not disqualified (I received my first issued permit in 7 days). Non resident permits may take up to 60 days to be issued. Reciprocity is a problem because Washington refuses to recognize any out of state permits. States that recognize WA permits:

- Idaho
- Indiana
- Kentucky
- Michigan (resident permits only)
- Montana
- Utah
- Virgina

I think the biggest bonus for WA is the low fee and no training requirement (not that I'm against requiring training but it seems to add a lot to the cost of permits).

Edited to add: BONUS: You're in Oregon so it probably isn't too far to drive to apply in person. Then, coupled with your Oregon CCW permit, you'll be covered for most of the west coast: AK, ID, MT, OR, WA (sans Kalifornia)
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#10]
PA has got to be the cheapest hands down (except for Vermont) $19 for 5 years. No off limits places except courthouses and federal property. No training required. Hell you don't even have to OWN a gun to get the permit. Everywhere except the fucked up city I live in you get your permit in a few weeks. Here it takes 5-6 god damn months. Only bad thing is my permit is only good in like 6 other states.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#11]
You mean I can carry in WA, wow all I have to do is lock it up untill I get there. I don't think I will every get to try, just to damn far for me.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Florida is cool place to get a CCW. I used to live there and the requirements are easy do and complete. I know that Massad Ayoob did write an article about different states CCW laws and reciprocity. If I remember correctly, Georgia's CCW has a reciprocity agreement. The cool place to live would be Vermont. Real libreal CCWs laws there. My state CCW is a bitch to get. It is controlled by the CLEO of the county and it is a dicreationary CCW issuse by the CLEO himself (basically it is a political thing). It last one year. It is a major bitch to renew and this state has only reciprocity agreement with Utah.  Here is the kicker. Try and guess how many CCW has been issused in this county. Do this at home. Try count with your fingers and tell me is that fair to have that many holders.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
AZ is pretty cool.

Fairly easy to get..  you can already carry open, so when you get your CCW your set.

there are at least 3 or 4 states with recip.

but you could find out at www.packing.org/

Arizona's ccw sucks for one reason, you guys can't carry in any establishment that sells alcohol. That eliminates any 7-11, grocery store, restraunt or pizza joint, Nevada may require our CCW's to qualify with every gun we carry, but we can carry almost anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 4:32:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Wolfpack,
Its not sell alcohol but serve alcohol. I go into 7-11 and grocery stores all the time, open carry and not one word said.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Georgia seems to be good... between 4 weeks and 6 months to get, depending on the time of year and the liberal/conservative perspective in your county. no class. $35-$50... carry most places. But it has a broad definaition of "public Gathering"
-CHuck

if they'd only make the age 18 instead of 21...
Stupid Pricks
!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Utah costs $59, lasts 5 years, shall issue, application not too intrusive (no worse than buying a gun except you need a couple references).  Utah recognizes permits from more than 40 other states, and at least 13 honor Utah's permits.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Does anybody know if any other state recognizes my New York State carry permit (aside from Vermont)?  I know my bastard state doesn't recognize anyone elses.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Does anybody know if any other state recognizes my New York State carry permit (aside from Vermont)?

Utah does, but that probably is not too useful.  Check out www.packing.org for others.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Just wondering what the best state to get a CCW is.

I'm particularly interested in:

Ease of obtaining.
Number of reciprocity agreements.
Duration of validity.
Least intrusive appliaction process.

Anyone?

Why the place you live now isn't that bad.
I pack here in Oregon everyday!
Even at work, except when I have to go to those federal buildings downtown, never had a cop bother me either (like after getting pulled over)

John M.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm most interested in reciprocity.

I travel a lot and that makes recip an issue.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You mean I can carry in WA, wow all I have to do is lock it up untill I get there. I don't think I will every get to try, just to damn far for me.

No.... you can't carry in WA. Virginia will recognize my permit from WA but not the other way around. Washington does not recognize any out of state permits. Sorry... not my rules.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#23]
 Indiana is pretty good . Costs about $35 and
is good for 4 years . NO CLASS or other training to put up with . Just fingerprints at the local LE office and send some stuff to Indianapolis about 5-6 weeks later you are good to go .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top