Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2013 10:02:55 AM EDT
What recommendations do y'all have for a rucksack that can also carry a long gun?  I'm looking at Mystery Ranch right now, but I'm seeing if there are any other good brands out there.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 10:09:21 AM EDT
If you're not looking to conceal the rifle then try Elberlestock. A little less pricy than Mystery Ranch and Kifaru but I love the V69 set up. I used it often when I had to fly in Afghanistan. Used it to store the long gun when walking to the birds and back which freed up my hands for other gear. Served its purpose overall.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 10:09:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/24/2013 10:10:44 AM EDT by kudzu630]
dupe
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:17:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By kudzu630:
If you're not looking to conceal the rifle then try Elberlestock. A little less pricy than Mystery Ranch and Kifaru but I love the V69 set up. I used it often when I had to fly in Afghanistan. Used it to store the long gun when walking to the birds and back which freed up my hands for other gear. Served its purpose overall.

Have you ever done any sort of long rucks with weight in it?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:19:42 AM EDT

Eberlestock now makes 2 concealment packs for long guns.

Cherry Bomb and Secret Weapon (If I recall) are the two packs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:58:23 PM EDT
I have a lot of experience here. Can you give more specifics? The brand you want is undoubtedly Eberlestock. They have a pretty large selection though. The external Molle on their packs makes adding external pouches completely user customizable and awesome for use as a sniper pack. I don't want to have to uncinch and dig through my whole pack just to get my food for instance...

What rifle will you be carrying?
How much gear do you plan on carrying with?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 12:58:41 AM EDT
I have an Eberlestock pack. I don't use to to carry a long gun but at least I have that option. Good packs and great customer service.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 2:38:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By skyshark288:
I have a lot of experience here. Can you give more specifics? The brand you want is undoubtedly Eberlestock. They have a pretty large selection though. The external Molle on their packs makes adding external pouches completely user customizable and awesome for use as a sniper pack. I don't want to have to uncinch and dig through my whole pack just to get my food for instance...

He will be carrying a carbine, pistol, ammo,and I assume a three day pack.  Two man team each with the guns, plus one long gun.  I think it it will be a 40 mile hump?   I did not get all the details( the poster is related to me)
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:32:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/25/2013 3:37:44 AM EDT by PFC_Dustin]
I have the Eberlestock F4 Terminator and I love it.  Once a week I go on 6-10 mile ruck marches with 80lb loads plus my rifle in the scabbard and its very comfortable.  Its also got 2 side hydration pockets that each hold 3L bladders and fit quite a bit more stuff.  Those pockets unzip and have pockets with molle panels behind them.  The top pouch comes off and converts to a small waists pack with a hydration bladder.  Its also got 2 main compartments with a removable divider, 2 external pockets, built in rain fly, more internal pockets, and the scabbard can be removed and the pocket that holds it sealed up and used as a rectangular full length pocket.  I'm still perfecting everything with it but its a pretty great bag so far, you can even adjust the stays, the belt position, the harness position and the top load.  It cab be loaded from the top or the front and has molle inside and out

Oh and when you remove the scabbard its handles and molle all over it and can be used as a separate drag bag.  It fits a 16" AR without it sticking out of top and can be closed up or left open.

Size comparison.  The green bag is the 5.11 Rush72, the black is a Rush24 and the Tan one to the left is the Blackhawk Titan.  The smooth tan one is Eberlestocks large camp bag which can actually attach to the front of the ruck.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:16:37 AM EDT
Experience is limited to some hiking, usually just a few miles, but I have an Eberlestock Lo-drag. It's been perfectly comfortable loaded up and with a rifle.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:55:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cableguy221:

Have you ever done any sort of long rucks with weight in it?

I used a Gunslinger model with a weapon plus 40lbs. Much better than the issued assault pack it replaced. Suspension is good, and it carried well over the soldier plate carrier for extended periods.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:45:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By usma89:

He will be carrying a carbine, pistol, ammo,and I assume a three day pack.  Two man team each with the guns, plus one long gun.  I think it it will be a 40 mile hump?   I did not get all the details( the poster is related to me)

^ pretty much this accept I won't need a 3 day pack since I'll have plenty of space in whatever pack I get.  Ideally I need to be able to carry 80lbs in addition to the rifle.  I'm thinking I'll be going with this one as of now:

http://www.eberlestock.com/G4%20Operator.htm
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 12:52:02 PM EDT

^ pretty much this accept I won't need a 3 day pack since I'll have plenty of space in whatever pack I get.  Ideally I need to be able to carry 80lbs in addition to the rifle.  I'm thinking I'll be going with this one as of now:

When I ordered the Terminator the rep at Eberlstock told me the G4 and the F4 are exactly the same except with the F4 you can remove the rifle scabbard which actually gives it more cubic inches once its out.  I personally like having the option to go without it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 1:44:52 PM EDT

You made an outstanding choice. I actually just sent one to a friend of mine overseas. He's loving it. I used the G4 and gunslinger 2. I don't reccomend going much heavier than 60lbs though.
Top Top