Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2012 9:53:07 PM EDT
I am contemplating buying some night vision goggles, and was wandering what the best thing out there right now that I can get for around 10k-ish? Any input, pics, reviews from people who have used them is appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:25:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Pvs-15?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:22:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Best Night Vision

Best for around 10K
PVS 15
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:40:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the anvis 9s the optics are great, the size and weight great also, balance on helmet from what I have told doesn't get any better goggle wise I  can wear mine for hours straight. The negative is they arent built like a tank being designed for flying not ground operatitions. I was buying a pvs-15 housing but several guys I know said they are much heavier feeling on your helmet than the lite weight 9's so I am focusing on dual systems that weight around 20oz such as the BNVD and new Senteninel google looks real nice. Weight and balance is very important on any dual system to reduce strain on your neck counter balancing helps but the more weight total on your helemt the faster your neck muscles tire. Really there are several really nice systems out there under 10K
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:04:15 AM EDT
[#4]
What is your purpose for using NV, hunting, walking through the woods and fields? Do you need one set or are you equipping the whole family?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Just outta pure curiosity, shits and giggles, how much were the ones with 4tubes? Those gotta be awesome!

There are a couple of reasons I want them for one I've always wanted a pair just because and for coyote hunting, exploring at night. I plan on getting my wife a pair too but she just want the pvs14 monocular with a head mount.

For me its gonna be a buy once kinda thing just want to get the best I can for the money I'm prepared to spend, if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I cannot remember if it was here or at SniperHide but recently TNVC and others offered the pro's and con's on a few types of goggles.
You may want to search out that thread and read it. As I recall the BNVD got the thumbs up for pro's and con's to price point.

QUAD NV goggles somneone said $65K
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:02:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just outta pure curiosity, shits and giggles, how much were the ones with 4tubes? Those gotta be awesome!

There are a couple of reasons I want them for one I've always wanted a pair just because and for coyote hunting, exploring at night. I plan on getting my wife a pair too but she just want the pvs14 monocular with a head mount.

For me its gonna be a buy once kinda thing just want to get the best I can for the money I'm prepared to spend, if that makes sense.

If you are using them for coyote hunting and exploring at night, might I suggest you get a PVS-14 and nice helmet setup, IR laser for your rifle, and a handheld thermal like the FLIR PS-32.  You could do all that for less than 10k.  The PVS14 has advantages in flexibility, cost, and allows you to keep 1 eye dark adapted which is helpful.  Not quite as high on the CDI factor, but you've already got the chick, and it would be more useful for what you are doing.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I would love to get a clipon with laser and illuminator on my rifle but Ilive in shit hole California nd from what over been reading I cannot mount anything good on my rifle. I could be wrong and am still researching but also I wanted the flexibility of just exploring at night without a rifle. How does a single 14 do after walking around for awhile with only one, how long does it take for your eyes to adjust after use and does it give you a headache from just running one?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#10]
OP, $10K will buy you a lot of tube.

For $6-10K you can get:
BNVD
PVS-15
ANVIS-6/9
PVS-23
Sentinels (not quite released).

Unless you buy the absolute best tubes those will still leave you enough cash for a helmet, QUALITY mounting setup, and IR laser and LED illuminator setup for $10K
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Ah good deal that's what I was hoping. Im going to check out everything at SHOT in Jan and will hopefully buy there or shortly there after.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would love to get a clipon with laser and illuminator on my rifle but Ilive in shit hole California nd from what over been reading I cannot mount anything good on my rifle. I could be wrong and am still researching but also I wanted the flexibility of just exploring at night without a rifle. How does a single 14 do after walking around for awhile with only one, how long does it take for your eyes to adjust after use and does it give you a headache from just running one?

Check out this thread for helmet mount which works great for walking around use at night.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/226892_NIGHT_VISION_HELMET_RIGS___let_s_see_your_pics_.html

The single PVS14 works great for that.  Your brain will automatically adjust for whichever eye has the tube in front of it and provides the best image for you to see.  Keeping one eye dark adapted (by not having the tube in front of it) is very useful if you get lit up or come into a brighter area.  It also helps with depth perception.  You can get a nice Gen 3 commerical PVS new with 5 warranty for $2600 here http://tnvc.com/shop/tnvpvs-14-gen3-commercial-spec/ .  Milspec units with factory warranties are around $3500.  You will find navigating at night becomes pretty easy with just a little practice.

As to how long it takes to adjust, if you run one tube PVS14 - no time at all.  Seconds.  No headaches from running one at all.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#13]
What do you all think of thermal vs night vision. I know its an endless debate which one is better but if you could buy only one and you needed it to serve multiple roles which would you get? Are there any thermal units that are comparable in uses to the pvs14?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What do you all think of thermal vs night vision. I know its an endless debate which one is better but if you could buy only one and you needed it to serve multiple roles which would you get? Are there any thermal units that are comparable in uses to the pvs14?

PVS-14. Thermal is great at detection. Positive ID almost always requires good night vision. Good night vision is first and thermal is second IMHO. At least for hunting purposes.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#15]
How about the AN/PSQ-20 DSNVG? Don't see a price anywhere on tnvc's website but what they do is pretty impressive
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

How about the AN/PSQ-20 DSNVG? Don't see a price anywhere on tnvc's website but what they do is pretty impressive

I am told the technology isn't quite there yet with this unit.

Per Clasky,

Currently, they are overlaying the thermal on the image intensifier.  This requires two separate objective lenses which do not fully line up the images until about 125 yards – further than the NV’s clear ID range as a non-magnified goggle.

Price for the unit and helmet mount are around 18k.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#17]
On the civilian market, thermal is currently king on detction but has shortcomings on identification.  The I2 conventional nightvision (PVS-14) excells at identification and details as well as navigation.

For the $10K you want to spend you could do one of each - a good helmet mounted PVS-14 AND a good thermal for detection out to 500 yards (PS-32 FLIR).  You would still have enough money left over to add a nice helmet setup plus an IR laser for whatever pistol/rifle you wanted or even a cheap dedicated scoped NVG scope like the D-740.

Check this out as a hunting package:  (inspired by watching Skypup) if you don't need an NVG scope for your rifle - delete the D740 below.

$3000 D740 Dedicated NVG Scope system http://tnvc.com/shop/d-740-4x-gen2-shp-super-high-performance-night-vision-rifle-scope/
$2500 Comercial Spec Gen 3 PVS-14 built by TNVC http://tnvc.com/shop/tnvpvs-14-gen3-commercial-spec/ comes with J arm mount
$3000 FLIR PS32 Thermal Monocular http://tnvc.com/shop/flir-scout-ps32/

$158 B Bravo 1/2Shell helmet with Ops Core VAS Shroud + 2 pic rails  http://tnvc.com/shop/pro-tec-bravo-half-shell-helmet/
$30  Surplus Rhino Arm bought on the AR15.com EE
$270  Torch Pro to augment the IR light for the D740 with mount to helmet
I'd also use the EOD ballast low profile pouch on the helmet for comfort but not necessary $30.  You can also get a 3x mag lense for the PVS-14 for about $100 on the EE if you like that.

Total $8958 without IR lasers.  You can engage great with just the D740 above. You will detect anything within 500 yards easily with the FLIR. You can identify and navigate using the PVS-14.

To take it to the next level:

$550 LDI OTAL C1 IR Laser with mount for pic rail for your rifle  http://tnvc.com/shop/ldi-otal-class-1-ir-laser/
$312 LDI LAS/TAC2 C1 IR Laser with mount for rail on pistols or rifle pic rails  http://tnvc.com/shop/ldi-lastac-2-class-1-ir-pistol-laser/

Total $862 more - You own the night for less than $10k.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top