Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2002 9:46:50 PM EDT
I am very impressed with the Benelli M1 Tactical- except the price.  I've heard that Beretta makes a similar type of shotgun that cycles just as fast as a Benelli, at around half the price.  Anyone help me out here?  Also, why am I hearing that you can't have a plus two extension on the M1 if you also have a pistol grip...that sounds like bs to me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
...why am I hearing that you can't have a plus two extension on the M1 if you also have a pistol grip...that sounds like bs to me.

You're right. It's also the law. Whether or not it is actively being enforced is another matter - but let's not go there
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both.  Handling wise, the Benelli is a little nicer.  Reliability wise, the Beretta has it hands down.  The Benelli will not cycle birdshot or light tactical loads.  The Beretta will cycle EVERYTHING- but kicks like a mule!

If you know someone with a Remington 11-87 Police, I'd try it.  Handled a couple at the local gunshops.  The fit, feel, and ergonomics are nothing short or excellent.  Whatever you choose.... train, train, train.

***ptp
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#3]
The Benelli comes with the +2 mag extension on both the pistol grip and standard stock models.  It is the +4 extension and pistol grip that will get you into trouble.

Francisco
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't Beretta own Benelli?
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Doesn't Beretta own Benelli?

Benelli owns Benelli, but they've worked out (again) distribution rights with HK on occation.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I though the same thing, I heard something about Beretta owning Benelli, and Benelli split from HK and started its own dist. facility.  Only deal HK has with Benelli is to help its military contract with the new M4 shotgun.

I have shot both, and I own several Benlli, I love my Benelli and I think the Beretta is a cheaper version of the Benelli, and although its workmanship is not as pretty, it functions just as well as the Benelli.  One thing about the Beretta, it is lighter, so the recoil is a bit heavier.  

I don't think Beretta is better in reliability, i have shot all types of loads through my benelli, never had a problem.  you can get a lighter recoil spring in your stock to adjust the recoil problem with the Benelli(my benelli don't have it), it will make your gun kick like a mule, but it will function with anything you can throw at it.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#7]
lets back the trolly up here. berettas flagship shotgun is the 391, which is not like the benelli at all. it is gas operated and the benelli uses the genuis recoil operated bolt. beretta started making a benelli recoil operated rip off, but i dont think its half the price. and this stuff about the benelli not cycling birdshot... i have shot so many super super light loads out of mine, and it has never failed to cycle. i mean custom loads so light most shoots just dont understand using such a light load. personally, i dont, my friend loaded them and i used them. but never the less, they ran.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#8]
i will add, hte beretta 391 kicks less because the gas system. teh benelli is usually much lighter, (mine is rediculously light, sometimes i forget im lugging a 12 guage) and i thing the benelli has a reliablity edge, cause their is no gas system to get dirty and fail to cycle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#9]
how can you even compare the two, They are completely different guns made for different purposes. The beretta is a gas operated semi-auto, and in my opinion kicks less. The beretta will also cycle just about any load you feed it. If you are looking for a tactical shotgun get the benelli. If you are looking for a hunting shotgun get the beretta. And yes, the benelli M1 Tactical should be able to cycle birdshot and its got that nice pistol grip. Hopefully you would not try to go bird hunting with it though.

Benelli and I think the Beretta is a cheaper version of the Benelli

They both cost approximatly the same price. In my opinion the beretta has the superior workmanship.
We are all talking about the AL391 right?

or are you thinking of the beretta  1201 FP
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i will add, hte beretta 391 kicks less because the gas system. teh benelli is usually much lighter, (mine is rediculously light, sometimes i forget im lugging a 12 guage) and i thing the benelli has a reliablity edge, cause their is no gas system to get dirty and fail to cycle.

I can and have went 1100 rounds between cleanings on the Beretta AL391 it is the Gold Sporting model.  Can't seem to get past 500 or so with the Montefeltro.

Edited cause I can't spell
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone ever try the Norinco pump guns (the 870 knock-offs)?  I saw one with 18" barrel and ghostring sights.  I think it was around $200 new in the box.

Sorry this is off topic a little but i just wondered.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I can and have went 1100 rounds between cleanings on the Beretta AL391 it is the Gold Sporting model.  Can't seem to get past 500 or so with the Montefeltro.

Edited cause I can't spell

a friend of mine subjects his benelli sport to 1500 to 2000 target loads(trap skeet and sporting clays) a few hundred light huntinh loads, and sevral hundred heavy 5s. he cleans it like once a year. tis kinda sick, but hte gun runs and runs and runs.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Last weekend or the weekend before, I was watching American Shooter.  The show they did from Benelli's factory.  During the show Jim Scouten stated Benelli is owned by Beretta.  In addition, Massad Ayoob stated in his book, Stressfire II, that the Beretta 1201FP is just as reliable as the Benelli Super 90 M1 except for the magazine spring.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I believe he was asking about the Beretta 1200FP/1201FP
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#15]
gas operated shotguns are an advantage if you want to add any heavy accessories, FWIW.

You may have a 5 shot mag and a pistol grip.

Don't have a Beretta autoloader but love my old O/U. My Benelli gets the lions share of my hunting time, though. Best damn money I ever spent on a gun and I'd include my AR on that list. Lately I've been carrying my Mossberg 9200 in Mossy Oak camo. Really like it as well, and for the money is a great deal, but I don't think I'd want my life to depend on it. My Benelli has never failed me.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Someone please quote me verbatim the regulation which states: "No semi-automiatic shotgun shall have a fixed magazine capacity of greater than five rounds, plus a folding/and/or pistol-gripped stock."  Where are you guys getting this stuff from?  I don't doubt that it is true, but I would like to read the law for myself.  I understand the 'deadly features' as they pertain to semiautomatic rifles, but never looked at the laws for shotguns.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Someone please quote me verbatim the regulation which states: "No semi-automiatic shotgun shall have a fixed magazine capacity of greater than five rounds, plus a folding/and/or pistol-gripped stock."  Where are you guys getting this stuff from?  I don't doubt that it is true, but I would like to read the law for myself.  I understand the 'deadly features' as they pertain to semiautomatic rifles, but never looked at the laws for shotguns.

www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/legal/semi.htm
§ 921(a)(30) The term 'semiautomatic assault weapon' means:

(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of -
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#18]
dissipator556,
You have still not told us which beretta you are talking about. Is it the AL391, Al390, 1201FP, or something else?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top