Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2011 8:28:21 AM EDT
I am planning on picking one up soon, is there any thing I should know before pulling the trigger on the sale.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#1]
They are good quality weapons and mine has been 100% reliable, but some things to consider:

-OEM stock has long LOP
-Accessories/Parts are expensive and not as plentiful as some other brands (this is getting better I think)

Some personal stuff I don't like about mine:
-Turns out I don't like the Ghost Ring Sights and much prefer a bead (they're good, just not for me)
-I could never get used to the Pistol Grip Stock (once again, not for me)
-Safety location sucks for those who shoot lefty (just another little nuisance)

Overall quality is good, just should have put more rounds through one before buying as it did not work out for me.  I would say buy with confidence as long as you like the features you choose (I'd have been happy with a std. stock, bead sighted version) but I went tacticool instead of what I was used to.

Hope this was helpful

ETA: the 3.5" chamber was fun though...nothing like surprising a buddy with one of those when they're expecting another 2 3/4
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one for 3 summers. I traded it in because I got more into shotgun and went to a semi.

I had the pistol grip, ghost ring sight model. I put somewhere around 3,000 shells through it, with no issues. Everything from the mini-shells up to 3 1/2" Magnum 00 Buck shells. 95% of the shells were #8 Winchester Bulk Pack stuff from walmart. This was before I knew the Federal was better ammo. I still had no issues with it. I had not one single issue with the gun the whole time I had it.

When I bought mine, I could only get the pistol grip with the Ghost Rings. Now, they have a model that has the comfortech stock with the Ghost Rings as well. If you are able to, try to at least hold both to see what is more comfy for you. I felt the pistol grip model helps reduce recoil, as you feel it in your hand & shoulder vs just the shoulder. The straight stock feels more natural for me though.

Aftermarket support is coming up for it, although there really isnt much needed besides a good mag extension IMO. Mesa makes a nice side saddle for it (I had one on my gun when I had it). Nordic, as well as a few other companies make mag extensions for it as well.

One thing you will notice, and I loved on the gun, is the carrier. When you push it up to load, it stays in the up position, so you dont have to fight the carrier every time you load it. This makes loading suprer fast and easy.

Honestly, I was thinking about picking up another, as I kinda miss mine. IMO, I think it is a very good gun, and I would trust my life with mine. I ended up with the Supernova becaue when I looked at other shotguns like the 870, various Mossbergs, and other pumps on the market, I felt it was a better quality gun, and it felt much more natural / comfortable in my hands.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Blindspooch is right about the long LOP however for about $50.00 and a few hours invested,
you can take about 2.5 inches off the stock. I did that on mine and it made a world of difference,
Check the Benelli forum website for instructions.

Try this––
http://arizonashooting.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42629&start=0&sid=ce54f625174b19c038b8e95055d036cb
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#4]
What, no link? Ah well. I just traded my standard stock for a pistol grip. Not sure if I want to shorten it yet.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Put a Nordic +2 extension on my Supernova with a Nordic follower, cut the spring to 32", And now my 4 round Supernova with +2 extension holds 7+1.  Talk about a happy accident!
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Put a Nordic +2 extension on my Supernova with a Nordic follower, cut the spring to 32", And now my 4 round Supernova with +2 extension holds 7+1.  Talk about a happy accident!

got pics?  I still have my SNT and might shorten the stock and add the extension as a backup to my 590A1

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

got pics?  I still have my SNT and might shorten the stock and add the extension as a backup to my 590A1

Still a work in progress; still need to add my light system, Mesa tactical sidesaddle, and a sling.  Apparently, getting a 3 bonus from a +2 Nordic extension has happened before, but is not guaranteed.  I have the +2 extension, the Nordic Follower, and the Nordic barrel clamp with removable picatinny rail.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 2:32:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the pics imortal, looks great!
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the Supernova Tactical in Desert Camo with a tacstar +2 mag extension and EGW rail on the reciever.  I love the shotgun. It's performed flawlessly!

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#10]
love mine

(current setup has a Surefire G2X Light)

Link Posted: 5/26/2011 3:26:53 AM EDT
[#11]

How does that tape switch work out?  Do you have a pic with the action open? Seems like there would either be a lot of slack or too little to make it dependable

Link Posted: 5/26/2011 4:16:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I did a little digging and found some old pics of a pervious set-up. This is with a EGW Rail, Comp ML2, and an American Defense Low QD Mount. I zeroed it with slugs, and I was spot on at the clay field. I got plenty of looks when I pulled out the gun, but then I got even bigger looks when I was breaking way more then missing.

I also didn't notice any POI change when I mounted and dis-mounted the Aimpoint. Then again, I was shooting bird shot, so I wouldnt really notice a change.

Link Posted: 6/11/2011 12:11:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Just a bump as I prepare to shorten my stock next week.

Link Posted: 6/11/2011 9:29:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I couldn't be more pleased with mine.

I'll have to get some pics of it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I couldn't be more pleased with mine.

I'll have to get some pics of it.

Please do

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I have getting closer to having my Supernova set up just the way I want it.  The Primary Arms micro red dot is a stand-in until I can get an Aimpoint Micro H-1.  For the rest:

Supernova Tactical with rifle sights
Nordic Componants"+2" extension (actually +3)
Nordic Componants barrel clamp with rail
Nordic Componats follower
Mesa Tactical 6 shell sidesaddle
Impact Weapon Componants QD Mount-N-Slot
Magpul RSA
Primary Arms Micro red dot
Blue Force Gear padded Vickers sling (with QD and HK sling mounts)
Streamlight TL2 LED light with pressure pad
VLTOR scout light mount with nylon (home made) "shim"
Limbsaver 'grind to fit' butt pad

I also shortened the standard Benelli stock, and sunk the IWC mount into the stock.

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 5:59:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Good thread. Any substantive differences between the Nova and Supernova aside from non-removable vs removable buttstock?

I handled one of these the other day and was very impressed. Smooth action, rotary bolt, and massive loading port with lifter that stays up. It looked like it had the makings of a very fast competition pump.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Good thread. Any substantive differences between the Nova and Supernova aside from non-removable vs removable buttstock?

I handled one of these the other day and was very impressed. Smooth action, rotary bolt, and massive loading port with lifter that stays up. It looked like it had the makings of a very fast competition pump.

The Supernova is drilled and tapped for a mount, which can host a sidesaddle as well.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 1:03:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Love mine!!

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:22:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I am really starting to hate this thread.

Last summer I traded in my Supernova Tactical for my circa '96 Montefeltro because I wanted a semi. Don't get me wrong, the semi is great and allot of fun, but I am missing the S.N. because of how easy it is to load. I LOVE how the carrier stays up and you can just feed in the shells. I have cut up my thumb on more then one occation from the shell carrier on my semi.

I am seriously thinking about buying another.... god you guys suck lol

Quoted:
Quoted:

The Supernova is drilled and tapped for a mount, which can host a sidesaddle as well.

there are a few differences. The most noticable are the styling of the receiver and trigger gaurd. The trigger gaurd was supposivly designed the way it is so that it "leads" the shells into the loading port. The receiver has some asthetics that are slightly different. As mentioned, the fact that the SN has a removable stock is one difference. The Nova has the receiver and stock molded as one. S.N.'s come factory drilled & tapped for a rail and / or side saddle.

One other change that was done, or claimed to be done, was the fit between the receiver and fore-end. I guess there were complaints about the Nova having a sloppy fit and clattering and making noise and rattling when the gun was being carried. On my S.N., the fit was very tight between my receiver and fore-end. Not tight enough to bind, but enough to notice and enough to take out any rattling.

IIRC, Barrels are interchangable, as well as mag extensions. Trigger groups might be able to swap, as the pin location is the same between them. I think the bolt assembly is the same as well, not 100% sure though.

Overall, in my opinion, the Supernova is worth the few extra clams over the Nova, YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top