Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2007 6:14:03 PM EDT
Picked one up about 6 months ago.I still haven't shot it yet,bought it used unfired.Should I keep it or go to an 870?This is my first hd shotgun.What are your opinions abut this weapon?Thanks all for the input.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 6:25:22 PM EDT
looking at one now, did you get the pistol grip with ghost rings?
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 7:15:10 PM EDT
Thats the one
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 1:40:24 AM EDT
Well you'll have to make your own decision. I think my SuperNova is an excellent shotgun. It looks drop dead sexy compared to the Mossberg 590 or Remington 870. I have the stock mag tube extension with the tactical set-up and it looks bad as hell.

Why drive a caddy when you can cruise in a Bentley. That's the closest comparison I can make between the usual pump guns.

Besides all ya have to do is rack the slide and bad guys shit themselves.

The only downside is a lack of accessories.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 8:18:12 AM EDT
Benelli makes a magazine extensoin for those guns? Where did you get it at?
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 10:45:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Xterra:

If i recall correctly the ATF no longer allows importation of Benelli factory mag extensions, as they are for a non-sporting purpose. I think TacStar has a US made one, but not sure on quality.

Regarding the Supernova- I think it's a great gun. Keep it and get an 870 (get both in ARFCOM speak). The only thing I don't like about the SuperNova is that the forend covers the loading gate when fully rearward. Other than that, I love it.

Link Posted: 11/3/2007 2:30:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/4/2007 4:43:55 PM EDT by NMGlocker]

Originally Posted By Xterra:

I found mine in the parts bin of a gunshop.
Someone special ordered it when the original Nova first came out and never picked it up.
It wasn't cheap (like $65 back in '01-'02) but is well made and came with a new spring, follower and barrel clamp.
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 7:51:32 AM EDT
Mine is the one with the pistol grip stock.Why did the ATF prohibit the mag extension?Sounds kind of silly, but then again it is the ATF
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 8:40:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/4/2007 8:41:15 AM EDT by CollegeBoy]

Originally Posted By DoubleL:
Mine is the one with the pistol grip stock.Why did the ATF prohibit the mag extension?Sounds kind of silly, but then again it is the ATF

A shotgun with a telescoping stock or a magazine greater than 5 rounds is prohibited from importation into the United States under the provisions of section 925(d)(3) of Title 18, United states code (U.S.C.). Assembly of such a shotgun from imported parts is prohibited under 18, U.S.C. Section 922(r). The implementing regulations in Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 478, Section 478.39 (formerly Part 178, Section 178.39) prohibit assembly of such a shotgun that contains more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of the regulation. Please see the enclosed brochure for further information. Assembly of such a shotgun using 10 or less of the listed import parts is not prohibited. The shotgun is also subject to whatever State laws and local ordinances may apply.

The brochure contains the following:

(c) For purposes of this section, the imported parts are:

1. Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings, or stampings.
2. Barrels
3. Barrel extensions
4. mounting blocks (trunnions)
5. Muzzle attachments
6. Bolts
7. Bolt carriers
8. Operating rods
9. gas pistons
10. Trigger housings
11. triggers
12. Hammers
13. Sears
14. Disconnectors
15. Buttstocks
16. Pistol grips
17. Forearms, handguards
18. Magazine bodies
19. Followers
20. Floorplates

(repost of letter found on the firing line)
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 8:46:23 AM EDT
Thanks for the awesome explination.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:23:24 PM EDT
Help me make sure I understand the ATF regulation cited above.

If I wanted to add a magazine extension to my Benelli Super Nova Tactical, I can't use a Benelli factory part? I can add an extension if it is an american manufactured part?

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:42:51 AM EDT
I was less than impressed with the Supernova that I handled and fired.

The gun was LOOSE, and not in a good way. It had more rattles than most Mossbergs, and many 870s, and all 1300s. As for shooting, its a pump, how could they fuck it up. Nothing special there, damn sure not anything that my 870 or 1300 cant do.
Pump speed was equal to my 870s, which puts it under my 1300s.

The Nova is different, I cant see how its better.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:57:47 AM EDT
Everyone has an opinion, obviously yours is biased.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:04:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DHSGMAN:
Everyone has an opinion, obviously yours is biased.

I wouldnt say its biased. Biased would be if I owned Stock in Benelli, which I dont. I do however own a Benelli, so I dont have anything against the brand.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:43:33 AM EDT
If I owned another pump 12 gauge besides my 870s or Ithacas, it would be a Benelli. The slide release and safety are in the RIGHT spot... My lil bro has one... I like it a lot. It's just a camoed duck gun, but I like the way it handles, a nickel marine model or an all black one with extended tube would be nice!~ Make mine with ghost rings...
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:35:34 AM EDT
The novas are okay, haven't got a chance to handle a supernova yet. The only thing I don't like is how the stock and receiver are made as one part. I wish you could change stocks. I think it does have a little "sloppiness" to it, but I wouldn't say it's any worse than a mossberg. I've been wanting to pick up a supernova, but always keep buying other guns instead.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:19:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rcr29:
The novas are okay, haven't got a chance to handle a supernova yet. The only thing I don't like is how the stock and receiver are made as one part. I wish you could change stocks. I think it does have a little "sloppiness" to it, but I wouldn't say it's any worse than a mossberg. I've been wanting to pick up a supernova, but always keep buying other guns instead.

You realize the Supernova fixed this, right?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:46:00 AM EDT
the tacstar loosens up after 20 or so rounds
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:26:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Infamous:
the tacstar loosens up after 20 or so rounds

Ever heard of Lock-Tite?
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 2:00:32 PM EDT
I purchased a Benelli Supernova Tactical about two weeks ago. I really like it alot...
These are great guns, my only complaint is about the recoil.I have always felt that Nova's have obscene recoil and mine is no different. As far as pump guns go, the Supernova is among the best. I've owned em all pretty much and this is among my favorites. I particularly like the magazine cutoff, makes transisitoning to slugs very easy. Accessories are pretty limited, but Im not really a "TAPCO" kinda guy, so this doens't bother me in the least. I have a Streamlight adapter for my M6X and a Mesa buttstock shell holder on both my Benellis and thats it.

I did buy a Side Saddle for my Supernova but it fits kinda of funky. It specifies that it was made for the Nova but it doesn't seem to fit right on my Supernova. Is this just me or is there a reason why this wouldn't be compatible with the Supernova? Mesatactical makes a side saddle/rail type deal, but after looking through thier website, I can't figure out how it works. It definatly looks like it would impeded the travel of the forearm. Anyone know fo sho?

When I first got this gun, I familiarized myself with the instruction manual. In said manual, they depict the installation and manipulation of a Nova specific telescopic stock. Its shape is similar to the M1014, but it is different and unique to the Nova. I called Benelli about this part and was told they are new and are being shipped from Italy and will be availible the first part of the year. She said the price would be approx. 200.00 and would be sold to the public, at least for now, I questioned her about this and she said they have had meetings about this and that as of now, it will be made availible to the public.

As far as magazine extensions go, I have both a TacStar, SRM and Benelli for my Supernova. I have used the TacStar without incident in several guns. I don't prefer it but I have yet to have a problem with it. Honestly, the magazine extension is a pipe, can they be that bad? The spring doesn't seem to be as hearty as others, but they work and I have never had a problem with one. Nevertheless, I don't use them on my defensive guns. I just prefer a higher quality extension for my defensive guns... Right now, I have the SRM on there. This is definatly the equal of the Benelli part, maybe even better...My factory extension is still new in the wrap and hasn't been installed or opened. I am still researching/deliberating about it. I thought it had one less round capacity than the SRM or TacStar. Mine looks very similar to an 870 extension with a crimp in the magazine tube where the barrel/tube connecting bracket goes. The SRM and TacStar extension are sans this feature as are factory tubes for other Benelli guns.
I wonder what gives with that crimp..... For now I will stick with SRM.

Overall, its a great gun. As far as defensive guns go, you could do worse but probably not better. If you are a guy who has to hang a Microwave off your shotgun, stick with a Mossberg 500. If you want a serious defensive arm, buy the Benelli.

I kinda feel bad talking about guns after what just happend a few miles from my house in Omaha today, but crazy assholes like that make appreciate my guns even more. What could ever compell someone to do that to Xmas shoppers and women and children, Ill never know....Please pray for the victims and Omaha in general. A city whos inhabitants kill each other like they do around here definatly needs your prayer.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 5:43:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ryno_the_wyno:
Mesatactical makes a side saddle/rail type deal, but after looking through thier website, I can't figure out how it works. It definatly looks like it would impeded the travel of the forearm. Anyone know fo sho?

Our SureShell and rail for the Benelli SuperNova works like the ones we make for the M2 and M4: a bracket that includes a Picatinny optics rail is secured to the top of the receiver, and the SureShell yoke hangs off the side.

This arrangement does not impede forend travel. However, depending on where you hold the forend, the ball of your hand could come into contact with the SureShell carrier. For people who hold the forend close in, we recommend the four- or six-shot SureShell carrier, not the eight-shot. If you hold the forend far out like any other pump gun, any of our SureShell carriers will work fine.

Top Top