Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2001 1:41:06 PM EDT
I am looking into buying a benelli shotgun.  I want the model that has the pistol grip and is semi-auto.  It is my understanding that there is a 5 shot magazine capacity.  Why is there a preban/postban benelli shotgun?  I think the capactiy of a preban can be 8 shot.  Right?  How can i properly identify a preban/postban?  Oh, and the difference between the sites?  thanks
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I recently picked up a postban Benelli M1s90 with a 18.5" barrel.  It has the extended magazine tube to hold 7 rounds.  It does not have a pistol grip.  

Postban can have either the extended tube OR the pistol grip.  Not both.

Preban can have both at the same time.

Check the serial number to verify pre or post ban.  I think benelli has the serial #'s on their site.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#2]
You can't have BOTH the pistol grip and a magazine with the capability to accept more than 5 rounds on a postban gun.  I currently have a postban w/pistol grip, but will be swapping it out in favor of a straight stock so I can get the extra rounds.  I believe the pre-ban was only 7+1, which makes sense because the mag tube extension for the postban is +4 rounds (the mag tube itself really holds 3 rounds, but comes with a +2 extension = 5).  It depends on what size shells you use too - I can only fit 4 3" shells in mine.

As to how to tell a preban from a postban...  The best way would be to call up HK USA and get the serial number cutoff.  HK imported all the Benelli's until sometime in 96.  But, there are some things you can check quickly as well.  All prebans will be marked HK (since they were the importer), but since HK imported them until 96, not all HK marked guns are preban.  The prebans also had one piece mag tube, but I believe there were some postbans with one piece mag tubes w/o the pistol grip sold as well.  Sooo... if you find someone selling a Benelli as a pre-ban, you can be sure they are lying if it isn't marked HK and if it has a two piece mag tube.

It is also interesting to note that on all of the pre-bans, and some of the postbans (I believe they changed it around 98), there is a trick where you can actually insert an extra shell in the carrier, so you can have a pistol grip, 5 in the tube, one in the chamber, one in the carrier = 7.  The story is they changed it because hunters were using this to get their shotguns to hold 4 rounds, but I'd bet the real reason was the ATF and a magazine that could essentially hold 6 rounds...

Rocko
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, just a word of warning if you have never shot one before.  The recoil is a bit more harsh than a gas-operated semi.  The first time I took mine out, shot a few 2 3/4" slugs offhand while my buddy was setting up the bag to sight it in.  The recoil didn't seem that bad then (especially since I was just in a thin tshirt), but when I sat at the bench and shot from the bag to sight it in (have the ghost ring sights) - oh man did that hurt.  Three shots, and I couldn't take anymore, and my should was sore for days.

Rocko
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Just an added tidbit to those who don't know... Preban/Postban status only applies to SEMI-AUTO shotguns and not PUMP-ACTIONS (i.e.Mossberg 590/ Remington 870). So on a pump scattergun you may have BOTH hi-cap tube and pistol grip. It doesn't really apply to conversations regarding Benelli M1/M3's but to a newbie just reading that wasn't entirely obvious. Just my $0.02

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got the M1 Tactical a couple of months ago (post-ban).  It has the pistol grip and 5 round tube.  The damn thing is beautiful.  Recoil is a bit snappy, but it's a really quick gun.  I recommend it highly.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Good deal...I appreciate ALL of your replies.

How bout a beer?  
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Postban can have either the extended tube OR the pistol grip.  Not both.

Can you tell me EXACTLY where to find this law?  I got in an argument (very civil, of course) with a gun dealer last night.  He kept claiming that his post-ban Benelli could take both legally.  I knew he was wrong, but didn't know where in the law to look.  Any help?
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 8:33:30 AM EDT
[#8]
You can find a FAQ with the language at: www.impactsites2000.com/site3/94bill.htm

With the Vang Comp System in a Benelli M1 Super 90, recoil is reduced to the point that it won't function with low recoil "Tactical" 12 Ga 00 Buck.  I use standard 9 pellet 00 Buck and it feels like shooting trap loads.  Slugs feel like 00 Buck from an 870.  See www.vangcomp.com.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#9]
The straight stock is faster to reload.  I run a 10 round tube purchased from Speed Shooters Intl. Shorter tubes are also available.  I'll add to the caution about tactical buckshot and include tactical slugs as marginal for cycling the gun with or without a comp.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I shoot skeet loads through my bennelli all the time i've never had trouble with it cycling. Its a great gun, only downside is its kinda pricy.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You can find a FAQ with the language at: www.impactsites2000.com/site3/94bill.htm

With the Vang Comp System in a Benelli M1 Super 90, recoil is reduced to the point that it won't function with low recoil "Tactical" 12 Ga 00 Buck.  I use standard 9 pellet 00 Buck and it feels like shooting trap loads.  Slugs feel like 00 Buck from an 870.  See www.vangcomp.com.

What does he charge (ballpark) for the Benelli's?  The prices aren't posted on the site.

I've also had no problems shooting even the light target loads out of mine.  I think this problem occurs when people start hanging all sorts of stuff off the gun, like a side saddle, tac light, etc.

Rocko
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I have also been looking into a Benneli and have a question regarding the pistol grip/capacity issue. Since a pistol grip and mag extensions are acceptable on a pump gun, Can I buy a post ban M3 and leagally add a mag extension and pistol grip stock? Or, does the fact that it can also fire in a semi auto mode void the combination?
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#13]

...does the fact that it can also fire in a semi auto mode void the combination?

Unfortunately, this is the case [>(]

On the other hand, is the M4 going to be imported anytime soon? [:\]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Hans doesn't do Benellis anymore.  He referrs Benelli owners to G,G&G/DVC www.gggaz.com for the Vang Comp modification.  Stand by to pay around $700.  The modification softens recoil considerably and dramatically tightens patterns to the point that you really must use rifle sights and aim.  The patterns posted on Hans's site, www.vangcomp.com are representative of those my Benelli shoots.  

One note...my Benelli had no difficulty with the low recoil loads before the modification.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top