Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2010 10:43:28 PM EDT
So I've been eyeballing the Benelli M4. I also have the desire to learn some better shotgunning skills. This stems from a need for a completely defensive type of firearm, as I do own a franken-M4 AR-15, a 10/22, couple pistols, and my Savage 10FCP-HS. I have owned pump action shotguns in the past, but find myself to be somewhat recoil sensitive when it comes to the 12ga. From what I have learned so far, it seems as though the Benelli M4 does a good job at reducing felt recoil due to the operating mechanism.

So without derailing this thread too far into Benelli versus Remington and whatnot, can anyone talk me into or out of the Benelli M4?
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 3:16:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah for around 1500-1700 I would choose a different semi auto.  I personally own FN SLP an love it.  It was about 1k witch is still expensive for a shotgun but for a good semi auto it was reasonably  priced.  The m4 is a great shotgun the marinies have chosen it and the gate guards at Quantico use it.  There is no doubt that it is a great shotgun but for 1600$ I will pass.  There are good options out there for less money. But if you absolutly have to have it buy it, its your money remember that.  Just remember that semi's are very fikle when it comes to ammo, so chose your ammo carefullly. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 4:27:22 AM EDT
[#2]
The M4 is a great gun, and if you like the feel of it and it handles well, I say go for it. I personally am not that fond of the pistol grip stock, so for that moeny, I would go with the FN SLP, or I would save up my pennies and go with an M1 Entry with the 14" barrel.

It all boils down to what you like and feels good in your hands. As for the gun itself, it is a fine piece of machinery IMO.

ETA: From what I heard, the M4 does a great job of reducing recoil. I also would take one over an 1100 or 11-87 because of the aluminum reciever,vs the Remmy's steel, and the Remmy's never fit me that well. YMMV
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 5:09:12 AM EDT
[#3]
M4 is great. Probably the best combat shotgun out there.

Though, id rather have a M2.
Slightly more versitile, and a little more simple in operation.

This is comming from the owner of 2 M4s, a M2, and at least one of pretty much every pump ever made.
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 5:50:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I had an M4 back in 2002-03.  You really cant go wrong with the Benelli.  I had the fixed, skeleton stock, but wish I had the full stock pistol grip version.  I was hurting for money and sold it.  I've got an 870 Police now and I'm having just as much fun and its hell of a lot cheaper and more versatile with parts/options.   With some good practice you can pump that thing pretty damned fast and accurate.  Look at the Magpul video "Art of Dynamic Shotgun".
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 6:12:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
M4 is great. Probably the best combat shotgun out there.

Though, id rather have a M2.
Slightly more versitile, and a little more simple in operation.

This is comming from the owner of 2 M4s, a M2, and at least one of pretty much every pump ever made.

I agree with this. I am running a '96 vintage Monte, Inertia driven, and it is a piece of cake to clean and disasemble. 2 pins, and the barrel nut, and the whole gun just comes right apart. That is one reason I said I wanted an M1 entry as well, was the simple operation
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Try to find a used one, they usually sell for $1250-1300. New they are around $1600-1700. At that price I would never have bought one, but i stumbled on a barely used and a guy who needed money more then guns.

I like it, i owned a Benelli M1 and it kicked like a mule, I did about 20 3gun matches with it but just could get over the kick, it was more then my 870 pump, so I sold it and waited for a used Benelli M4 to come my way. I have also helped 2 buddies buy used M4's and they love them.

Again i know I sound like a broken record but buy a used one, if you don't like it then you can sell it for what you paid, and you are no worse for it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I truly appreciate everyone's input so far. How does the M2 differ from the M4?
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The M2 uses Benelli's Inertia driven system, rather than the dual piston system that the M4 uses.

The M4 is generally a not finicky about ammo when you have lots of stuff on the gun (aka, ammo, shell carriers ligths/lasers etc...) as opposed to the M2 which CAN start to short stroke when you have LOTS of stuff on the gun, and are using low brass target loads and stuff. When using full power ammo extra weight is not really a concern.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 3:06:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The M2 uses Benelli's Inertia driven system, rather than the dual piston system that the M4 uses.

The M4 is generally a not finicky about ammo when you have lots of stuff on the gun (aka, ammo, shell carriers ligths/lasers etc...) as opposed to the M2 which CAN start to short stroke when you have LOTS of stuff on the gun, and are using low brass target loads and stuff. When using full power ammo extra weight is not really a concern.

Since this will be a house gun, range toy, and strapped to the BoB in case of emergency, I don't plan on bolting a bunch of accessories to it. After a brief review of the M2, it looks like I'm still geared towards the M4.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 5:45:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I have owned my M4 for 2 years and LOVE it. Show me another shotgun that has increased in value by $200-$400 in value in 2 years.  For me, the shotgun has been a great investment and my understanding is they not only hold their value, they will keep increasing in value.  My M4 cycles everything I put through it every time....even the low recoil slugs my wife shoots.  The Benelli's are extremely easy to clean and maintain and if the shit ever hit the fan, the pistol grip shotgun is much easier to keep on target while reloading with the support hand.  Just my opinion!

Link Posted: 12/30/2010 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#11]
200$ factory rebate right now from authorized dealers. Just bought a coworker one for 1450$ on gunbroker. Minus 200$ = 1250$. Deal ends at the first of the year. Unknown if Benelli will extend it again.

Use the 200$ rebate towards a carriercomp full length mag tube.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Dont get me wrong. I think the M4 is every bit as good of a gun as the M2, they are just slightly different.

The M4 was designed from the ground up, as a combat shotgun. It can be used in other roles, but in the end, its a combat shotgun.
The M2 is more of the "jack of all trades"  Makes a great duck gun, 3-gun shotgun, or a great combat shotgun.

If you plan is to have a side saddle, and a red dot setup, id go M4.

In the end, you cant go wrong with either. Both are rock solid, just a little different.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#13]
M4 is noticeably heavier than M2.  I'm with you though, would take the M4 over the M2.  Wish I had the cash I'd like to buy one too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#14]
This is still in the research and feedback stage, since I won't have all the cash until tax refund time, which means unfortunately no rebate for me. What's the deal with the 3-color desert camo ones I see from time to time for sale, just a special run for the color scheme?
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 10:38:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is still in the research and feedback stage, since I won't have all the cash until tax refund time, which means unfortunately no rebate for me. What's the deal with the 3-color desert camo ones I see from time to time for sale, just a special run for the color scheme?

Something like that. I think they're a little more expensive than the black ones, and I don't think any tele-stocks exist for them (if that's even a concern to you) and im not sure how durable the finish is, but they DO look nice
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#16]
The M4 is heavier than my M1S90 but once I put the Carrier Comp FL tube on it, the tube shaved 1/2 pound off the front of the shottie and now they feel very similar.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#17]
+1, but just like you said, both are great shotguns

Quoted:
M4 is noticeably heavier than M2.  I'm with you though, would take the M4 over the M2.  Wish I had the cash I'd like to buy one too.

Link Posted: 12/31/2010 5:36:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Carriercomp tube removes 5 ounces. But you add that right back with shell capacity.

Barrack Obama doesn't want you to have one. Does that help?
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Carriercomp tube removes 5 ounces. But you add that right back with shell capacity.

Barrack Obama doesn't want you to have one. Does that help?

That's even more reason for me to get one. This whole saving up my pennies thing is going to be a while, but I can't wait!
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#20]
If $$$ is no concern and you can afford to drop the coin to get into a M4... then I would for sure.

However,  in my real world budget I jumped all over a M1.

If I had to get an auto loader due to being recoil sensitive (which can be controlled with a good push/pull technique) for a LOT less, I'd look at Moss 930 or whatever that one is. They seem to really run too.... now its no Benelli but it is nearly a third of the price.

That said, all I have ever bought are Benelli's ;)
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#21]
The SPX930's are so hit and miss and they are a bear to clean!  3 times as many moving parts as a Benelli actually.  I HAD one and I don't have it any more because it wouldn't cycle correctly.  Just sayin.....

Quoted:
If $$$ is no concern and you can afford to drop the coin to get into a M4... then I would for sure.

However,  in my real world budget I jumped all over a M1.

If I had to get an auto loader due to being recoil sensitive (which can be controlled with a good push/pull technique) for a LOT less, I'd look at Moss 930 or whatever that one is. They seem to really run too.... now its no Benelli but it is nearly a third of the price.

That said, all I have ever bought are Benelli's ;)

Link Posted: 1/1/2011 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
find myself to be somewhat recoil sensitive when it comes to the 12ga. From what I have learned so far, it seems as though the Benelli M4 does a good job at reducing felt recoil due to the operating mechanism.

Bit of conjecture from me I'm afraid. The M4 isn't marketed here due to none being produced to our legal length restrictions however, we do get all the other models which are very popular. Benelli are quite unpopular as a low recoil choice; personally I have no issues with recoil, but it is a very consistent point raised about these. I understand the M4 uses a different action, but if you're planning on shooting heavy loads through one it might be an idea to try beforehand.

I know these actions have a reputation for great reliability, but if you are going to be using high powered loads, you shouldn't get many generic cycling problems with any shotgun. My SPAS 12 which is a 28yr old, antiquated and somewhat unreliable design will cycle 28gm clay loads fairly reliably; load it up with something potent and the added punch means it functions like a dream. Odds are most quality, modern gas-operated shotguns will do the job.

By all means, if you want the M4, it probably is the best, but other sensible choices should be fine too.

Link Posted: 1/4/2011 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#23]
What is the life expectancy by round count of the M4?
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I can't speak for the M4, but Benelli's premier exhibition shooter Tom Knapp retired a Benelli M1 Super 90 in 2005 with over 500,000 through it. It now resides in the Buffalo Bill Historic Museum in Cody Wyoming.  The M4 is supposed to be built even tougher.  
Check out this link:  http://www.tomknapp.net/gunroom/tomsOldBenelli.php
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What is the life expectancy by round count of the M4?

I dontt see why 200,000 rounds would be out of the question before you wore it completely out.

Whatever it is, you will never put it through 1/10th of what its capable of.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Think about it this way...

The Marine Corp didn't choose it because it is going to fail at 100K rounds.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#27]
If you have the $$, do it!   I just did - pick it up on the 10th.     Missed the rebate but it was on my "Gotta have" list anyway.

SS
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Well I shifted some money around, sold some stuff that I didn't use, and with the help of some bonus money from work, I picked up a new m4. Dealer was a pretty cool guy, and sold it to me for $1550 (+tax), taking $100 off the price tag. Not the absolute best bargain, but not too shabby from my internet searches.

After getting it home and "clearing" the house for a bit, I decided that the factory fixed stock is much too long for my practical use, so off to Gunbroker I went, and purchased a NIB factory collapsible stock for it. I should have jumped on that Botach deal from a few weeks ago, but didn't have the cash at the time, so it cost me a couple extra dollars. Again, not as much as some of the sellers are asking/actually getting, but not cheap either. It is officially my most expensive stock, beating out my Magpul UBR.

Now I'm debating on the Dave's Metal Works bolt release, and the Insight M-series light mount. I don't want the Surefire M80, I don't need all the rails, and the B&T mount is much too expensive.

Now some range time and a whole lot of 12ga. shells!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Hope you didn't pay more than 265$ shipped for one. HK on the Benelli forum is still selling them for that price there. Chances are you bought one on gunbroker from him. I'd write to him and see if he'd match that price minus the gunbroker fees.

Get the GG&G bolt release. The rest are hit and miss.

Sidearmor is making a minimalist barrel clamp system for mounting a light. No heavy top rail.

Start researching carriercomp. You're going to want the following parts for compliance and quality;
1. Titanium magazine tube
2. Magazine follower
3. Hammer
4. Disconnector
5. True spec picatinny rail
6. Titanium bolt handle

Half of these are due to be released in February.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hope you didn't pay more than 265$ shipped for one. HK on the Benelli forum is still selling them for that price there. Chances are you bought one on gunbroker from him. I'd write to him and see if he'd match that price minus the gunbroker fees.

Get the GG&G bolt release. The rest are hit and miss.

Sidearmor is making a minimalist barrel clamp system for mounting a light. No heavy top rail.

Start researching carriercomp. You're going to want the following parts for compliance and quality;
1. Titanium magazine tube
2. Magazine follower
3. Hammer
4. Disconnector
5. True spec picatinny rail
6. Titanium bolt handle

Thanks for the info. It was in fact HK after a quick email and some googling. He is a stand-up gentleman, and we managed to figure out a deal. I wouldn't hesitate to deal with hm again in the future.

Just to clarify, I can swap out the stock and remain in compliance with 922r since they are both factory parts, right? Or is it a violation since it's not "as-is" from Benelli?

Half of these are due to be released in February.

[/quote]

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#31]
No. Adding the collapsible stock or the full length mag tube is a 922 violation. To be compliant with the collapsible stock, you need to replace 4 parts. Then you can legally do what you want with the weapon since it is no longer considered an imported weapon.

The good news is that there is light at the end of the tunnel. There will soon be an option to be compliant once Kip at carriercomp releases the rest of his parts.

1. Carriercomp full length titanium mag tube
2. Carriercomp magazine follower
3. Carriercomp hammer
4. Carriercomp disconnector

5. Freedom Fighter Tactical stock reproduction
   Surefire M80

6. Mesa Tactical Urbino Stock

The collapsible stock is considered two imported parts. So it counts against you. That is why you need 4 parts for compliance. If using the factory fixed stock, you only need 3. This the draw of the Urbino stock. However, I feel the factory collapsible stock is superior.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top