Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2010 6:16:50 AM EDT
I just brought home a Benelli M2 tactical.  I bought a Nordic Components extension tube that was supposed to hold +3.  My Benelli from the factory has a 5 round magazine so by putting on the +3 Nordic tube, I should be able to put 8 rounds in the magazine.  After making several cuts to the 40" magazine spring, I was never able to get more than 2 additional rounds in the gun.  I cut the spring down gradually each time - eventually cutting off 5 pieces.  The spring is so short/weak now that it won't even feed the last round onto the shell carrier and I still can't load 8 rounds in the magazine.  Anyone ever run into this problem?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 7:10:59 AM EDT
[#1]
uh, just to be sure, how exactly long is this +3 extension?

here is a pic of my M2 tactical with a +2 extension (8 total, 7 in the mag +1).

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#2]
What did the factory cap on the tube look like?  Sort of like a +1 extension?  

The +3 Nordic extension adds 3 rounds to a standard M2, which only holds 3 in the tube.  The factory Benelli Tactical holds 4 in the tube due to the factory +1 extension.  To hold a total of  8 in the tube, you need a Benelli +5.  

See the picture of how to measure on Nordic's site:

http://shop.nordiccomp.com/NC-Shotgun-Extension-Tubes-for-12ga-12GA-EXT.htm

RedZ71, are you sure your extension isn't a +4?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:37:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Benelli M2 holds 3.  Add a +3 extension and it should hold 6.

A M2 that originally held 5 in the magazine would have already had a +2 extension.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#4]
The Benelli website lists the M2 Tactical capacity as 5+1.  "Common specifications: M2 and M3 Magazine Capacity: 5+1 Chokes: IC, M, F Crio® Chokes (Fixed cyl. on M3) Length of Pull: 14-3/8" Drop at Heel: 2" Drop at Comb: 1-3/8" Benelli M2 Tactical.

Apparently Benelli sends them from the factory with a +2 extension to hold the advertised 5+1 capacity.

(Oddly enough, nowhere in the factory manual does it list the magazine capacity.)

The "+3" tube I bought is 8.5" long.  It is about 2/3" shorter than the 18.5" barrel when the extension is installed, and I don't want a tube that extends past the barrel.

The magazine end cap and tube that came with my shotgun is 4.5" long.

I guess I'll just have a shotgun that "only" holds seven in the magazine!

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#5]
did you install the shorter follower? my m2 had 2 followers in the box, I always use the longer one to make it legal to hunt with
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine only had the follower that was already in the magazine.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The M2 mag tube itself holds 3 rounds with a flush mag cap (no extension), giving the capacity of the gun 3+1

The Tactical model of the M2 has a "+2" magazine extension from the factory, giving the capacity of the gun 5+1

If you took off the "+2" extension and added a "+3" extension, your total capacity should be 6+1

ETA: If you're getting 7 rounds in the mag, I'm betting they're star-crimped 2&3/4" shells, and probably a tiny bit on the short side.  If you put roll-crimped 2.75" or 3" shells in, you'd only be able to fit six.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:04:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The M2 mag tube itself holds 3 rounds with a flush mag cap (no extension), giving the capacity of the gun 3+1

The Tactical model of the M2 has a "+2" magazine extension from the factory, giving the capacity of the gun 5+1

If you took off the "+2" extension and added a "+3" extension, your total capacity should be 6+1

ETA: If you're getting 7 rounds in the mag, I'm betting they're star-crimped 2&3/4" shells, and probably a tiny bit on the short side.  If you put roll-crimped 2.75" or 3" shells in, you'd only be able to fit six.

Thanks for the answer.  I am using 2 3/4" star crimped shells.  I'll have to remember that if I switch to different loads in the future.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top