Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2007 12:33:23 PM EDT

I want to replace my bolt release button with a GG&G Bolt Release Bar.

GG&G link.

The problem is this requires drilling and tapping the reciever for proper installation.  I have never tried anything like this before and I am very reluctant to do this myself.  On the other hand, I also don't want to pay a gunsmith $60 for what amounts to five seconds of work on a drill press.

Is there any other option?  Has anyone installed this part themselves?

Also, will this sidesaddle shell holder work on my weapon?  It is marketed as being made for the M2, and I don't see anything else for the M1.  Thanks.

Mesa tactical product link.

Link Posted: 4/1/2007 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#1]

The problem is this requires drilling and tapping the reciever for proper installation. I have never tried anything like this before and I am very reluctant to do this myself. On the other hand, I also don't want to pay a gunsmith $60 for what amounts to five seconds of work on a drill press.

So you have never drilled and tapped for a screw and don't want to pay someone to do it? That gunsmith or machinist put in alot of time to learn to do that 5 seconds of work properly. If you think you are saving 60 bucks and then destroy that 800 dollar shotgun by doing it yourself how dumb will you feel? My smith charged me 5 bucks to drill and tap a screw for my 870 front sight, totally worth the cost to me. I would call some machine shops or smiths and ask what they would charge you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 5:12:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Y-up gotta agree -an $800 shotgun and $130 (+/-) side saddle?

Gimme a break !! Pony up the chump change for a gunsmith to do the job right !!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 5:26:43 AM EDT
[#3]
are you wearing bulky or mutiple gloves?

If not this may not be needed.

YMMV but I have never needed it.

Yes if you want or need it use the gunsmiths services, you gonna ruin a M1? for a reason?

I don't think you want to.
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
Also, will this sidesaddle shell holder work on my weapon?  It is marketed as being made for the M2, and I don't see anything else for the M1.  Thanks.

Ask this guy.  stores.srxts.com/StoreFront.bok  He also gives an arfcom discount.  I handled that shell holder last night, but I do not know if it works on an M1.

Solid piece of gear. My guess is B-Square made it for them or someone else "borrowed" their saddle design.
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I held the same side saddle.. It was nice ...until I saw the cost... and then the idea of "drilling" holes in my reciever, turned me off to the whole idea.
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Ask this guy.  stores.srxts.com/StoreFront.bok  He also gives an arfcom discount.

I called and spoke with him, great guy.  ARFCOM discount is free shipping, and his prices are lower than anyone else already, at least according to Froogle.  I'll definitely be sending him some money soon.

Also, I called my local gunsmith and they will drill/tap for $8 per screw.  Hopefully turnaround won't be too bad, either.  That's cheap enough I'll just take it to them, along with a few other things I've been meaning to get done.

Link Posted: 4/3/2007 6:28:21 AM EDT
[#7]
see? Call and ask, most smiths charge basically nothing for minor work, just gotta ask.
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#8]

One more question before I drop any money on this project.  Does anyone here have the 8-shell sidesaddle on thier Benelli?  It looks like it might be a little to long to comfortbably shoot with.  

Any opinions?

Link Posted: 4/11/2007 6:46:11 AM EDT
[#9]

What about light options for the M1?  It doesn't appear that any of the Surefire forends will work on an M1, unless I am mistaken.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 4/11/2007 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Eight rounds?  

You do know that recoil operated shotguns don't run very well with pounds of tacti-shit strapped to them, right?

Link Posted: 4/11/2007 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Eight rounds?  

You do know that recoil operated shotguns don't run very well with pounds of tacti-shit strapped to them, right?

No, actually I didn't.  That's why I am asking questions in an online shotgun forum before making any purchases.

Link Posted: 4/12/2007 3:09:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I thought Surefire made a forend for the M-1....I know they do not make one for the M-3 and wish they did...    
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#13]
surefire does make forend light for the M1  if I am not mistaken they are model #s 617FA  and 617FGA
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep, they make a Responder for the Benelli M1.  Mine is a HK-stamped M1 (i.e. old) but it wears a Surefire 617F (no longer made, now they are all FA suffix models) weaponlight.

PS it is true you should avoid hanging too much stuff on an inertia operated gun like the Benelli.  Inertia (in most cases) varies proportionately with the mass of the weapon so it pays not to add too much of it.  The rule of thumb is usually weaponlight OR sidesaddle, but not both.  Mine has never hung up with the Surefire; then again, I do not use a sidesaddle.

If you truly must have both, buy the special recoil spring from Wolff Gunsprings to HELP (not eliminate) the reliability problems that MAY plague your gun.

HTH!

Justin
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#15]
With the sidesaddle, besides the weight from added shells and the saddle itself, overtightening the screws that secure the sidesaddle to the receiver can pinch the receiver, restricting movement of the bolt carrier and potentially causing malfunctions.

Hanging a bunch of stuff off a recoil operated shotgun is generally accepted as a bad idea regardless.  YMMV...a friend of mine has a Surefire light and the sidesaddle on his, and it'd choke with light target loads but run okay with full power buckshot.  Remove the sidesaddle, and it ran okay.  Reinstall the sidesaddle and remove the light, it ran okay.  With both the saddle and light, it was questionable.  All I have on mine is a magazine extension and a cheap nylon sling, and it runs 100% with anything I can get to fit in the magazine tube.
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Eight rounds?  

No, actually I didn't.  That's why I am asking questions in an online shotgun forum before making any purchases.

Avange, Take a look at 3-gun gear. Great stuff at a good price. For that kind of money you can get the side saddle a +2 and armband holder.
Also, putting the button on is no big deal if you have the tools, but if you have to order a drill bit and tap you may as well pay a gunsmith.jmo

What are you going to do with the shotgun? 3-gun?
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#17]
The Mesa 8 shot shell carrier will work very well on the M1 with the Standard loads. If all you have on it is the 8 shot sureshell then you are good to go with the light loads. But as stated above if you get too much weight onto the shotgun then it can potentially affect function ie surefire light with shell carrier etcc..  I have seen this on one M1 but I have seen others that wern't affected by the weight. As long as your using standard power loads this is not an issue though.
The Mesa shell carrier mounts up in such a way that it will not pinch the reciever. The shell carrier floats off the rail and only lightly touches the side of the reciever.
I appreciate the good word guys on the website. You guys get 10% off with the Code just pm, email, call or send smoke signals for the discount code.

Just a note we are currently having a hard time getting in our GG&G orders so please bear with us on that particular product line.

Bsquare has nothing to do with Mesa's designs or manufacture. trust me on this I have handled and carried both products and the difference in Materials and craftsmanship is night and day. Bsquare makes a good product but Mesa makes a stellar product.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:32:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Does anybody know if it is possible to modify one of the existing Surefire forends to work with an M-3?

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top