Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 9:12:20 AM EDT
So I just bought a new Benelli M1 Super 90 Tactical. Man, this shotgun gets alot of attention! The fit and finish on this gun are superb. I've got the ghost rings and pistol grip, and I also have the extension but have not put it on.

I have heard many rumors about recoil-operated Benellis not cycling light loads, so I decided to test out some different ammunition. Unfortunately I was at a range, so I was limited to slugs (in the rifle range) and non-steel birdshot and target loads.

First up were the slugs. We had some 2 3/4 and 3" full powered slugs. I've never fired a slug before, and DAMN those things hurt. The gun cycled them beautifully though. They make big holes in the paper as well!

So after some slug testing we went over to the shotgun range. The guy at the counter also had a benelli, so he gave me some 1 1/8 oz. shotgun shells (trap loads I believe?). The gun cycled a little slower with those than the full powered slugs, but it cycle flawlessly. The gun is extremely fast. For shits and giggles I tried my buddy's light 1 oz. trap loads. The M1 cycled those as well! They cycled slowly, but they still cycled without a hitch.

All in all I'm super impressed with this gun, and I can't weight to shot some buck shot out of it. Although this gun was pricey, I think it'll serve me well in the years to come. I guess my M1 is not just not picky with light loads? O yea, we also fired the gun from the hip, and it cycled just fine. I don't understand people having problems with Benellis and cycling. My gun wasn't even broken in...?

Pics:

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#1]
That is the shotgun to have, they work very well :)  I am sure you are really going to enjoy her.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#2]
nice report, is your benelli  tapped and drilled  on the receiver for a rail up on top?   having shot smglee's m1 s-90 he had installed a gg&g large bolt lever and  bolt release button, wihich im gonna install on mine m2...and a rail up on top for a eotech.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:41:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

First up were the slugs. We had some 2 3/4 and 3" full powered slugs. I've never fired a slug before, and DAMN those things hurt. The gun cycled them beautifully though. They make big holes in the paper as well!

Yessir indeedee!  Slugs are fun in a M1.  I once made the mistake of buying a whole batch of Remington 12ga 1oz slugs at a gunshow because they were really cheap, like $1.29/5.  I completely failed to notice the word "Magnum" stamped on each and every shell until I got home with them.  YOWZA!  Those things smarted in my M1.

They became my "loaner" ammo.  Whenever someone at a 3-gun match wanted to borrow a shotgun for a slug-only stage I was ready and happy to loan them my M1 with the Magnum slugs.  I just made them pay me for the ammo up front.    Man oh man, was that ever fun to watch as they touched off the first one, jumped backwards from the recoil and really hesitated before pulling the trigger again.  Hee hee hee hee.

Quoted:
O yea, we also fired the gun from the hip, and it cycled just fine. I don't understand people having problems with Benellis and cycling. My gun wasn't even broken in...?

Be careful with "limp-wristing" the M1.  It needs a good solid "mount" to recoil against and is indeed very prone to short-stroking with lighter loads if not mounted on a good solid object like your shoulder.

Eric
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#5]
We don't usually fire from the hip, I was just wondering if it would still cycle like that. Awesome shotgun!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:38:52 AM EDT
[#6]
My only problem with mine is keeping it loaded.  It is great to have a shotgun that can do double-taps!!!

It just runs out of ammo too quick!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Be careful with "limp-wristing" the M1.  It needs a good solid "mount" to recoil against and is indeed very prone to short-stroking with lighter loads if not mounted on a good solid object like your shoulder.

Eric

Good point. I have seen shooters complain the M1 S90 will not cycle light loads.  Mine  does.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:43:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Mine has cycled everything I've put through it, which has mostly been Federal 00 buck and cheap Wally World bulk pack #9, i think.

Damn fun to bumpfire too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top