Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 4:19:19 PM EDT
I hope you folks don't mind, but a .50 newbie has to do a little happy dance.  My local dealer called me today and said their distributor finally had received a Barret M82A1, but if I wanted this one, I had to pay off the balance ($I only put $2,000 down) or they would ship it to another dealer since they are in high demand.

After breaking many speed limits on local roads, I got to my local shop and pluncked down a ton of dough and was told that my Barrett will be here by the end of next week!

I am so psyched!

Now I need to order the scope rings from Barrett, and an extra magazine or two...  Hence, my next question, Optics!

I am hoping you folks can give me a sanity check on what I am about to order.  I do have a budget, so I can't buy whatever first comes to mind, but I am committed to doing this right, so I am about to purchase a Nightforce 5.5x22x56 scope with the Mil-Dot reticle.  I know there are as many opinions as there are people, but does this combination make sense?  I appreciate alternative suggestions as well, but I don't want to start a US Optics versus Nightforce flame.

Thanks everyone for all of the help and education!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the Barrett M82A1 club!    I can't advise you on the optic since I got the factory Swarovski on mine with the ranging reticle.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:38:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Call Chris at SWFA or on riflescopes.com and buy a used Swarovski. They will have the ranging or mil dot reticle scopes.

NightForce are exccellent optics also. Leupold Mk4's when you can find one are a good choice also.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:30:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Nightforce has other options when it comes to reticles, most people opt for the NP-R2.

www.nightforceoptics.com/?catid=4&viewitem=151&PHPSESSID=f9d063cd9497d7f4af7ea11e0100f7cd
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#4]
That NF scope would be one of the best IMHO.  If I were in you shoes I would pick either the mil-dot or a MOA based reticle like NF's NP-R2.  The reason many prefer the MOA based reticle is because then your elevation and windage knobs (1/4 MOA per click)  directly relate to the MOA reticle, whereas if you go with the mil-dot you have to convert between the two systems.   But both are suitable for ranging if you really want to do this.   But if you are already used to the mil-dot then go for it!    

I have a US Optics SN-3 in 3.2-17x  with their MOA reticle, it is superb in every way.  It has a permanent home on my 308 tactical rifle where it sees frequent use.

I " had to settlle for" a Leupold 6.5-20x50 Tactical scope (with mil-dot) for my upcoming 50BMG.  The Leupold, it is pretty darn nice itself, I hope it holds up!  I justify expense based on frequency of use, and the 50 just doesn't get out as often.  

I say Buy American if you can find what you want!, get the NF, the US Optics, Leupold or Burris!

Enjoy your M82, I know I would!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone for the feedback on the optics!  I do believe I am going to switch from the Mil-dot to the MOA reticle, your comments make a lot of sense.

Also, as an update, my Barret arrived today, I am going to swing by first thing in the morning to pick it up.  The spare magazine and scope rings arrived a couple of days ago.  Dang!  That box magazine is huge!  I can't wait to get my hands on the complete package.  have
I hope you don't mind the pics to come.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#6]
for NightForce you might check with CSGunsorks.com   Mike there has helped a lot of guys scope their rifles with NightForce scopes.

NightForce keeps tight control on selling prices, thus there are not a ton of dealers (like Leupold) and the price id pretty similar wherever you go.  Mike will see you get what is best for youe application anyway.

Tell him BillHPBT from Sniper's Hide said hello.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top