Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 12/6/2005 2:37:51 PM EDT
i was wondering if anyone on here that owns one or has any real info on one can tell me if their is any "defects" or problems with the 82a1. from cyclying problems, to accuracy problems, anything about the weapon that is no good, tell me please. im planning on getting one here in the next couple of months if there everything like their made out to be.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
i was wondering if anyone on here that owns one or has any real info on one can tell me if their is any "defects" or problems with the 82a1. from cyclying problems, to accuracy problems, anything about the weapon that is no good, tell me please. im planning on getting one here in the next couple of months if there everything like their made out to be.

Kevin, what is your intent on using it for?  

Bolt guns are more accurate, my M99A1 will out shoot my buddies M82A1 any day.

The M82A1 has less recoil so it is easier to shoot in my opinion.

I would like to shoot the M82A1CQ, that will probably be my next purchase.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#2]
There are a few ways to answer your question.  The Barrett M82 is one of the few semi-auto 50BMG's available and a semi 50 just has to be way fun!   I have only fired single shot 50's myself.   Being an accuracy nut I lean toward a bolt-action rifle with a match chamber and shooting meticulously prepared handloads personally.   But would I like an M82?  Well hell yes!

If 50's get banned I would bet the semi-autos are first on the list, so get it ASAP if you want one.   But if  precision 1,000 yard shooting is in your future a bolt action (at half the price) may do you better.   Actually it is the $7,500 price that  will keep me away from an M82 (until I hit the lottery).

Ronnie Barrett is a proud supporter of the 2nd Ammendment as deserves our support by buying his rifles.

Remember to put aside $800 to $1,500 for a top notch scope and mounts for your 50BMG.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#3]
As stated, it is not as accurate as a single action fifty.  I don't think there are too many people who wouldn't want one.  I have never heard about problems with them.  The M107/M82A1M was declared the one of the best inventions by military.  They function very, very well.  They are a lot of fun.  If you are into ultimate accuracy, there are other rifles to consider but they won't be as much fun.  I have the M82A1 but would like to upgrade to an M82A1M/M107, there are some differences but the M82A1 is just fine.  I got mine due to the .50BMG ban scare.  If you have the opportunity, GET IT and do it NOW.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:24:31 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the replies, i was thinking about getting the AR-50 mainly cause its a third the price. but then i said,the hell with it, if iam going to get one, go all out and get what i have always wanted. now i just need a beta mag for it so i can bump fire the damn thing. just kiddin. well i'll be talking to the bank about the $8,000 as soon as i get back to town.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:26:58 PM EDT
[#5]
From the "What works in Iraq" letter:

9) The Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle: Thumbs way up. Spectacular range and
accuracy and hits like a freight train. Used frequently to take out vehicle
suicide bombers ( we actually stop a lot of them) and barricaded enemy.
Definitely here to stay.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
thanks for the replies, i was thinking about getting the AR-50 mainly cause its a third the price. but then i said,the hell with it, if iam going to get one, go all out and get what i have always wanted. now i just need a beta mag for it so i can bump fire the damn thing. just kiddin. well i'll be talking to the bank about the $8,000 as soon as i get back to town.

I went with an AR-50.  Just as fun at 1/3 the price.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Dude, not even close.  No single action fifty is as fun as a semiautomatic.  I've shot the AR-50 and it doesn't come close to my M82A1 in rapid fire for fun.  Accuracy is another matter.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, not even close.  No single action fifty is as fun as a semiautomatic.  I've shot the AR-50 and it doesn't come close to my M82A1 in rapid fire for fun.  Accuracy is another matter.

If you want rapid fire buy a semi Ma Duce.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#9]
: "

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you want rapid fire buy a semi Ma Duce.

Have you ever heard of the phrase: "rapid target acquisition"
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#10]
i was under the impression that the Barrett M82A1 was an accurate gun. i know it wont be as accurate at the "bolt" guns. what kind of groups should i be expecting at 500 yards with military ball ammo?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't expect anything much better than 3moa with that combination so about a 15 inch group at 500 yards.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#12]
When I purchased mine, Barrett said the M82A1 was good for something like under 3 MOA and their single action rifles for under 2 (1.7?) though they are capable of greater accuracy.  I can't recall the actual figures quoted but you sacrifice a bit of accuracy for the semiautomatic capability.  Which is more important to you - fun or accuracy?  It's accurate enough but don't expect benchrest accuracy.

The M2HB is surprisingly accurate with it's heavy barrel. My friend uses his full auto M2HB in single shot mode with a scope mounted and cracks clays at 300+ yards.  It surpasses the M82A1 for fun and ability to drain your bank account.  It's also heavy and bulky.  I went with a 1919BMG instead, fits in a rifle case.

I suggest doing what I did - get the M82A1M (civilian M107) while you still can, then later on get or build a single shot fifty for target/benchrest shooting.

The scope that came with my M82A1 (Swarovski) has a BDC reticle and the closest hash is set for 500 yards.  If you don't hit it with the first round, pull the trigger again up to 9 more times (depending on your particular mags).  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:42:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I went with a 1919BMG instead, fits in a rifle case.

Did you buy a complete 1919BMG, or build one up yourself? That is a sweet piece, wonder if I could get away with it in NJ.

I would go for it, buy the Barrett. Through out the country the powers that be are slowly trying to ban and wipe the .50 firearms from civilian hands.

Being from NJ, I am strongly weighting the idea of getting a .50. I want the semi, but my finanaces will only permit me to get a single-shot bolt action. Probably the M99 or AR-50.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#14]
My 1919 was a brand new DLO w/accessories that went up $3000 in the 3 years it took me to get off my ass and get the paperwork done.

I bought the M82A1 SPECIFICALLY at the time due to the ban scare (well, more than a scare for Kali).  I haven't gotten a single shot fifty yet, but plan to so I can play the accuracy game.

I say again, get it now before the prices go up, availability goes down, and a ban makes it impossible.  If you don't care or can't afford the semi-auto, then there are plenty of great choices for single action and most are quite accurate.  I really enjoyed the AR-50, it has one of the lowest felt recoil due to it's weight although it's just enough weight to relegate it to the unlimited class if you are competing, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:54:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I purchased the M82A1. For the money...purely an investment. These will be going the way of the NFA before too long, and I'll be willing to bet that what you pay $7000+ for today will easily fetch $20,000 in the future, FWIW. I couldn't much give two hoots if it manages to strike a plate at 1000 yards less accurately than a bolt gun, it's the M82A1, if I should miss I just crank another one off without having to load another round. Additionally,  when people think of the 50BMG, it's not the Armalite or Cobb or LAR that comes to mind. It's the Barrett, AKA the "STANDARD". It's the Crown Jewel of any gun collection. It's the one that raises eyebrows when you pull it from the case. Like driving a Lamborghini when you show up for the car show. YOU GOT AN M82A1???? HOLY SHIT, CAN I SHOOT IT???? LET ME HOLD IT SO MY BUD CAN GET A PICTURE OF IT WITH ME!

Won't happen with an AR50, LAR Grizzly or anything else. Sad, but true. I've seen it.

The Ma Deuce is awesome, but the fucker weighs a cool 80-some lbs and that doesn't include the tripod. Plus, you have to get linked ammo to shoot it. If I'm going to go to all that trouble, it better shoot full auto.

Regard the Barrett as the Xerox of 50BMG's. You don't go to the copy store and get a "Mita" of your document, do you?

Look at it as getting in on the ground floor of a great stock. It'll hurt the bank account like hell, but knowing you are one of very few who own such a weapon will make it all worth it.

Trust me. If you can swing the cash, do it. You won't be sorry.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#16]
i like your style buddy!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I purchased the M82A1. For the money...purely an investment. These will be going the way of the NFA before too long, and I'll be willing to bet that what you pay $7000+ for today will easily fetch $20,000 in the future, FWIW. I couldn't much give two hoots if it manages to strike a plate at 1000 yards less accurately than a bolt gun, it's the M82A1, if I should miss I just crank another one off without having to load another round. Additionally,  when people think of the 50BMG, it's not the Armalite or Cobb or LAR that comes to mind. It's the Barrett, AKA the "STANDARD". It's the Crown Jewel of any gun collection. It's the one that raises eyebrows when you pull it from the case. Like driving a Lamborghini when you show up for the car show. YOU GOT AN M82A1???? HOLY SHIT, CAN I SHOOT IT???? LET ME HOLD IT SO MY BUD CAN GET A PICTURE OF IT WITH ME!

Won't happen with an AR50, LAR Grizzly or anything else. Sad, but true. I've seen it.

The Ma Deuce is awesome, but the fucker weighs a cool 80-some lbs and that doesn't include the tripod. Plus, you have to get linked ammo to shoot it. If I'm going to go to all that trouble, it better shoot full auto.

Regard the Barrett as the Xerox of 50BMG's. You don't go to the copy store and get a "Mita" of your document, do you?

Look at it as getting in on the ground floor of a great stock. It'll hurt the bank account like hell, but knowing you are one of very few who own such a weapon will make it all worth it.

Trust me. If you can swing the cash, do it. You won't be sorry.

I have to agree with you 100%. I got mine as an investment, and if I need  I can fall back to heavy fire power. I let other people I know shoot it and that alone has gotten 3 I know to buy a 50BMG one of the 3 was a M82A1 the other 2 were 99s.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#18]
iam getting my barrett M107 next month i hope i like it, wheres a good place to get cheap ammo for it???

thanks ,,,,usmc-mike
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top