Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2011 8:33:56 AM EDT
So, I have a Mossberg 500 with a 26" barrel and 18" barrel. I only use the 18" for bedside storage and when I go out shooting I put the longer barrel on. I've shot 00 buck through it a few weeks ago chopping down some trees w/ my father in law Well, a buddy of mine said that the long barrel is designed only for birdshot and because it has a choke tube in it, using 00 buck will ruin the barrel. He also noted that because it is a vented barrel IT IS really only for bird shot

I follow up with, "So are you telling me that I'm supposed to use a 18" barrel to hunt deer at say 40-50 yards?" (Just an example)
Him: with a scope and slug for a non-rifled barrel, you'll be fine."
Me: Why the hell would I use a slug on a deer, I thought those were for bear....
Him: No, buckshot is too easy.

I just and changed subjects because I saw this was going nowhere. So, what the heck is the deal...am I wrong? Are you really supposed to use a 18" barrel for deer hunting? Will 00 buck ruin my 26" barrel? Give me all the facts boys.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:44:07 AM EDT
LOL!!! Wow, he's full of it. I guess I've been using the wrong barrel all along for goose and duck hunting, either that or I should only be using bird shot/target loads. That definitely would make things a bit more challenging!

This guy is full of fail, and it's frightening the advice people give sometimes in regards to firearms when they don't have the slightest clue what they're talking about.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:47:56 AM EDT
Use what you want. Buck is a lot gentler on a barrel than steel is. If the barrel/choke can handle steel, buck is a picnic for it.

Don't expect better patterns by going to a longer barrel though. Choke/forcing-cone are what influences that. As well as shell design and just the quirk of that weapon.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:50:59 AM EDT
Yeah..well, usually he is very knowledgeable. That's why I was so taken back. In my head I was like, "well, I was taught to hunt fowl and deer with similar barrels....so, could everything I know be wrong?" I assumed 18" was really ONLY useful for protection or very short range uses. It was basically, I knew I was right but, he really caught me off guard with that. I could never imagine going hunting without the 26.   Then again, he is NOT a hunter...former cop and now class III dealer.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:54:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 12_gauge:
Use what you want. Buck is a lot gentler on a barrel than steel is. If the barrel/choke can handle steel, buck is a picnic for it.

Don't expect better patterns by going to a longer barrel though. Choke/forcing-cone are what influences that. As well as shell design and just the quirk of that weapon.

I really wish I thought about arguing that the choke is designed to "adjust" patterns. So why wouldn't I use buck shot OR bird shot? Damn missed that chance.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 9:52:07 AM EDT
If you look at a box of Remington Express buck, it says to use a full choke for best results, IIRC. Just saying. It is designed to use in a normall hunting gun to make it versatile for all game. Buck has been around since muzzle loaders and they weren't useing special "tacticool" muzzleloaders.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:00:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AASG:
If you look at a box of Remington Express buck, it says to use a full choke for best results, IIRC. Just saying. It is designed to use in a normall hunting gun to make it versatile for all game. Buck has been around since muzzle loaders and they weren't useing special "tacticool" muzzleloaders.

That's good....I just needed a sanity check after hearing him say that....I never imaged a 18" barrel being good for anything besides home defense....

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:51:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2011 5:53:29 PM EDT by GunCat]
Originally Posted By 12_gauge:

And on the flip side a shorter barrel will not necessarily throw a WFO pattern with birdshot or buckshot, like a longer barrel its all in the choke constriction. (its just than many short HD barrels are NOT choked).

Barrel length by itself has no effect on the pattern.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:58:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By donnieR32:

That's good....I just needed a sanity check after hearing him say that....I never imaged a 18" barrel being good for anything besides home defense....

I've got a 20" (OK, thats almost an 18" ) barrel with rifle sights, lengthened forcing cone and Rem-chokes that makes a tight shooting, handy to carry, turkey hunting barrel for my 870.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 10:56:47 AM EDT
Just a slight thread detour but , I don't know how much affect the forcing cone has on patterns. I had Ballistic Specialties lengthen the forcing cone on a fixed mod choke barrel. The resulting change in patterns was marginal at best. Some times there was no improvement.

On my VCS barrel where the forcing cone is lengthened and the barrel is back bored, the improvement in patterns was drastic. I am going to send the mod choked barrel back to Ballistic Specialties to get it back bored to see what happens.
Top Top