Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2012 12:39:32 AM EDT
Is there any tricks to "tighten up" the front-end portion of the standard profile barrel when using a Hogue10/22 Rubber OverMolded Stock?  Currently, I've installed the Hogue stock on my rifle and I've noticed some play, approx. 1/8+" flex when pushing down the barrel into the stock.  

At this point, the only thing I can think of is using some type of wedge under the barrel, forcing it up, but I'm not sure if this would damage the barrel itself... BUT, if the wedge idea would work, want would work the best?

Thanks for looking!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:21:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't put anything in the barrel channel.  If the barrel is touching there is a chance that as it heats up the point of impact will move.

Go shoot it first and see how it shoots as is.  I don't have a hogue stock on mine but I made sure the barrel doesn't touch the stock at all past  an inch or so back at the chamber.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't let anything touch the barrel. You want the natural harmonic resonance of the barrel to be unaffected by anything surrounding it. If it touches, you'll have whacked out groups.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info...  I'll see how it groups first.    

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:45:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to put a dab of epoxy putty or even silicone calk under the barrel near the forend tip before placing the barreled action in the stock and snugging the stock bolt.
Just be sure that it isn't applying too much upward pressure on the barrel. A couple pounds is plenty; use good judgement here.

Unless you're going to be pulling the stock out of kilter with hard sling tension in various shooting positions, it probably wont cause any issues, and will probably dampen vibration a little and help accuracy at least a bit; especially on a lighter, standard profile barrel such as yours.
Try it both ways, pop the epoxy plug out if it makes accuracy worse, and report your findings back here.

Heck, you could even slide an O-ring over the barrel into the channel or simply wrap the barrel with 87 layers of electrical tape at the forend tip to find out what works best before you mix up any epoxy...

But in the big picture, replacing your barrel with a good one will do more to help accuracy than any amount of fiddling with a mediocre one. ( Not implying that your barrel isn't a good one; just saying..)
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I just pulled out my 10/22 in a Hogue stock and tried to squeeze the barrel and the end of the stock and sure enough mine moves too.  But I'm 99.9% sure the only thing flexing is the soft rubber stock, not the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
the only thing flexing is the soft rubber stock, not the barrel.

+1.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top