Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 3:24:21 AM EDT
Can someone measure the barrel diameter at the muzzle/ rear of flash hider on there PTR? I e-mailed Jayson at IGF and he said he thinks it's .80", but I need to make sure before as it is key in which model I buy.

Thanks in advance.

Kletz
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#1]
My PTR91 measured at .720"
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:31:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks CK- is your a model with a flash suppressor?

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:35:22 AM EDT
[#3]
So you wanna explain how the barrel diameter is going to affect your decision on which model to buy?  I'm just curious.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:11:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes - Standard PTR91 with flash suppressor and a 18 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:07:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So you wanna explain how the barrel diameter is going to affect your decision on which model to buy?  I'm just curious.

Short version-

I have a suppressor with 5/8x24 threads and it needs a shoulder cut on the barrel to index against to ensure it is straight on the threads to prevent baffle strikes.

long version-

I have considered buying a PTR91K and having it cut to 12.8" and doing an SBR on it, with the suppressor, the overall bbl length would still be on 21", but that's kind of expensive to do it and still have a semi.

I considered the PTR91K just threaded, but if the barrel is 16" and not 16.5", then I'd still end up with an SBR at only 15.5" since the 15mm threades would have to bbe cut off, and then the new muzzle would be threaded.

so then I considered buying a plain muzzled one since I am planning on having it threaded anyway- no sense in paying for a flash suppressor and stuff only to cut the end of the barrel off anyway.

Then, if the barrel dia. isn't of sufficient size to support the can properly, I might as well just buy the rifle and forget about supressing it- but that leads me back to the question of which model again- the PTR91 18" with FS, or PTR91K, or KP.

I've owned an HK91 with all the options, and a SAR3/8 Springfield restamp with a load of goodies. The G3 platform is probably my favorite rifle, and since JLD is gaining a reputation for a fine rifle, there is little batter than being able to have one at or around $1000. When I had my other HK's, mags were $50+, so seeing them for $2-5 each, I can't help to get another G3 type and to buy about 40-50 mags.

So here's my math:

thread dia.= 0.625"
barrel dia.=.720
leaving .095" for a total shoulder dia. /2 since that .095 will be split and I get a shoulder of .0475", which is just under 1/16", or about 3/64". It doesn't sound like  muc, but it may be enough of a shoulder for the can to butt up to and torque down on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top