Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2001 8:28:22 PM EDT
Hey guys, I will be breaking in the barrel on my Remington 700 tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had any pointers?  Also, does anyone know where to find reloading info for the .308?  I would like to match the Fedral Gold Medal Match ammo if at all possible.  $1 a round gets a little spendy :)
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#1]
This is from the Armalite webpage.  It should apply equally well to your firearm...

------------
BREAK IN:  
ArmaLite Match Rifle barrels are produced from a custom, target grade blank. For optimum accuracy and improved life expectancy, it MUST be properly broken in. We recommend the following procedure:  

Remove any existing copper fouling from the barrel by using a high-quality copper-removing solvent like Hoppe’s No. 9.

Fire 11 single shots, each followed by about 20 strokes of a tight fitting patch bearing J-B bore cleaner (available from Brownells, 515-623-5401). Use a Parker Hale or other wrap-around style jag rather than a slotted jag. From 12 to 30 shots, clean after each 3 shots. From 31 to 50 shots, clean after each 5 shots. Clean thoroughly with a high quality bore cleaner every 10 shots until 100 shots. This time-consuming process will allow the barrel to smooth out without an accumulation of copper fouling in the pores of the steel. The barrel should thereafter be cleaned every 20 rounds for best match accuracy. Accuracy continues to improve for several hundred rounds as the rifle breaks in.
---------------

Have fun at the range!
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#2]
get Zena to caress your barrel between her rocj hard thighs and squezze said barrel,,hell clean it shoot it,,don't abuse it,, clean it after a couple of hundred rounds,,don't overheat  etc. treat the barrel with respect,
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 11:00:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Another barrel break-in thread! OK, I'll bite.

Get out the Hoppes #9, start with a clean, brand new barrel, run dry patches after the #9.

Shoot a three shot group. How did you do?

Clean it again. This time #9 soaked brass brush several full strokes, wet patch, dry patch.

Shoot again, 5 shot group allowing several minutes between shots in order to keep barrel from getting too hot. Clean again.

What break-in? Just shoot it and don't let it get hot with rapid fire or plinking or wasted shots.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 11:59:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool, Thanks Allot Guys!
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
get Zena to caress your barrel between her rocj hard thighs and squezze said barrel,,hell clean it shoot it,,don't abuse it,, clean it after a couple of hundred rounds,,don't overheat  etc. treat the barrel with respect,

I need to try that. How well does she work? lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top