Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/29/2002 9:50:25 AM EDT
I posted this in the general discussion area already, but got no answers. Has anyone here ever soaked the inside of their barrel in slick 50 or PTFE or any of those engine treatments that are supposed to permanently bond with the metal? I'm just curious and wanted to know if it would increase velocity.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 10:08:33 AM EDT
I'm not so sure any of those treatments would work to penetrate a chrome lined barrel. Also the heat and pressure generated within a rifle barrel would probably exceed anything you would find in your average automotive engine. I think you would probably just be wasting your money.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 10:34:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/29/2002 12:36:52 PM EDT by Halfcocked]
I don't think just soaking would do the trick. I believe the stuff has to be rubbed into the metal. Also it seems the extreme temperature, even if just for a very short time, would remove or wear the material away after a couple of rounds. It would have to be re-applied every couple of rounds.

There has been a lot of discussion/argument over bullet coatings such as Danzak and Moly coating. The conclusion so far is that the killer part of barrel wear occurs at the throat and is due to un-burnt and burning power right out of the case and not even Moly or Danzac prevents that erosion. You may get marginally greater velocities but virtually nothing significant. Actually you have to use more powder with Moly for the same velocity because less friction causes less pressure and that means not as efficient burning of the powder.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 12:13:24 PM EDT
If your looking for accuracy. You do not want any type of Teflon (PTFE) on the inside of the barrel. CLP and a few others contains PTFE. As you shoot the PTFE is removed from the bore, and your point of impact changes with a few shots. 10 rounds will string all over the target. If your looking for something to use to get a longer life from the barrel. You want to use some form of moly coating. Either the rounds are coated or a paste for the bore. If you go with the bore paste keep it out of the chamber, and remember you need to recoat it in 200-400 rounds.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 2:24:42 PM EDT
Molly coated bullets and barrel will get you a few dozen extra feet per second. I use a .22-250 when I want a few hundred feet per second more from my .223 rounds.

Fat_McNasty - have you ever measured the spread from your CLP testing?

I'm wondering because the military uses CLP. I always throw away the first shot of the day and normally the first handful. On my benchrest rifle (the .22-250) I use all kinds of snake oil (Hoppes #9) and voodo grease (RemOil) to get every last 0.1 of an inch. It's got a stainless barrel and I don't use CLP on it but do use it on my other rifles.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 3:50:07 PM EDT
Paul-
The worst case was 10". Best case was 2".

If you ever get a chance take a look at the US sniper TM it has a good section on cleaning and maintenance. It says in there not to use clp in the bore. I came to the same conclusion a few years ago while working up a load for my 6tcu. I could not for the life of me figure out why at one outing I would get a good group. Then the next time with the same load I would have something that looked like a shotgun blast. I fell back to the clp in the bore. I got rid of that and now tight groups. MMMMM tight groups!
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 11:07:32 PM EDT
Please take note. Moly coated bulets reduce pressure. They will REDUCE the speed of a bullet fired given an equal charge propelling it, NOT increase it.
Top Top