Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 8:39:19 AM EDT
I apologize in advance, you guys must be tired of this by now.  However, here we go.  Went shooting yesterday and used the same batch of rounds I was having trouble w/ before.  Of course, a few more jammed.  Looking at the ones that jammed, I see there is a ring of crap on the shoulder.  I measured one of the stuck cases and one that went off fine and the the stuck one that didn't fire seems to be a few thousands to a hundreth longer in the shoulder than the spent casngs I measured.  That makes sense w/ the ring of crap on the shoulder, why the bolt won't close and why they are getting stuck, right?

My second question is, assuming everything above is correct, why aren't these cases getting sized correctly?  I ran them all through the same die, why would some get sized right while others didn't?  I don't see how I could have missed sizing these since they were all once fired cases, meaning I would have had to deprime them meaning they would have been sized at the same time.  Any ideas?

Here is a pic, it's a blurry cell phone pic but you can see the crap on the shoulder I was talking about

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Not having the same amount of lube on each case, different thickness of case neck, borderline sizing die setup, different softness of necks, dragging expander ball, no lube IN the case neck, can all cause different head spacing on cases.
Take your pick, start with one and eliminate it till you have the problem solved.
I would start with the lube on the neck,, cheapest to cure, then adjust size die down a small amount, then would separate the cases by head stamp if that didn't work. Check out the expander ball to make sure it's smooth, while out, measure it just to make sure it's in spec.
HTH
'Borg
ETA, also CLEAN your chamber properly, that's carbon left in your chamber,, you haven't been shooting Wolf or steel cases have you?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not having the same amount of lube on each case, different thickness of case neck, borderline sizing die setup, different softness of necks, dragging expander ball, no lube IN the case neck, can all cause different head spacing on cases.
Take your pick, start with one and eliminate it till you have the problem solved.
I would start with the lube on the neck,, cheapest to cure, then adjust size die down a small amount, then would separate the cases by head stamp if that didn't work. Check out the expander ball to make sure it's smooth, while out, measure it just to make sure it's in spec.
HTH
'Borg
ETA, also CLEAN your chamber properly, that's carbon left in your chamber,, you haven't been shooting Wolf or steel cases have you?

Nope, no Wolf, but I ran a bunch of rounds through that rifle and didn't clean it.  I usually clean my guns after every trip, but I wasn't planning on going yesterday so I hadn't gotten around to cleaning yet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll check the die out, thanks a lot guys
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Alright, I pulled the die apart and it looks fine to me, although, that isn't saying much.  I don't see anything that is obviously wrong, it isn't worn, the die has gone through maybe 500 cases, max.  Here are some pics, tell me if I am missing something.  BTW, is the expander ball just the fat part of the decapping rod?  Also, I pulled the die apart and adjusted it up and down.  How much force should I have to use to push and pull the case in and out?  The way I had it before I had to use a little fforce, not much usually, but it felt like soemthing was happening.  Now, I adjusted it and it deprimed the case, but it felt like it wasn;t even touching the case.  I imagine to resize I would have to use a little force, right?  Lastly, below is a pic of the top of the die.  The hole is where the decapping pin goes and I can move it up and down.  Any idea how far down I should move it?  Where it is I have to use a little force, when I lowered it I didn't have to use any at all.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]
On lee dies that I have used the top of the decapping pin is flush or just above the top of the bolt/collet that holds it in.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:21:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks a lot guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top