Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2013 8:25:59 AM EDT
Yes, I know I'm opening myself up to ridicule. Won't be the first time I've been laughed off the internet and probably won't be the last. I'd like to take a reasonable, serious, look at the feasibility of this though.

What got me thinking about this-

This past Sunday a bunch of first responders hosted a halloween event at a local EMS facility with emergency vehicles, life flight birds etc. Of course my wife and I took our two boys, not quite 3 1/2yrs and 20mos, and met up with a girlfriend of hers with her 3yo and infant in tow. Her friend had baby in a carrier on the front and a backpack on her back while trying to wrangle her 3yo. I got a raging clue and was like "...plate carrier...". The thought of being able to have baby strapped to the front, something like my gRUNT on the back, repurpose a couple double 7.62/.308 pouches for sippy cups/bottles, pouches for snacks, wipes, hand sanitizer etc.. And yes, a dump pouch (hehehe) to collect refuse.

Considering the ages of my current two, and the fact that No.3 is inbound, things are going to get interesting trying to wrangle three kids under 4 (I envision herding cats). Being ably to quickly deploy juice and goldfish completely outweighs the weird looks I'm likely to get. That said, does anyone have knowledge of mounting something like a baby Bjorn to the front of a PC or chest rig? Honestly, If there was a direct attach backpack for a baby carrier, kind of the way PIGs gRUNT attaches directly to their UCR, I'd be all over that like white on rice. Sadly though that either it doesn't exist or my google fu is weak.

It seems like this has been discussed a time or twelve but all I keep coming up with is the discontinued carrier from Mayflower. If this horse is long dead please direct me to it's corpse.

Edit: typo
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Someday you will look back and say "dang, i wish my second post on this site wasent about mounting a baby carrier to my plate carrier, im such an idiot!"
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:39:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Baby's will only stop .22 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#3]
please tell me you're kidding.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#4]
"Tactical Daddy" was an idea for Halloween, I think that is his aim.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#5]
In.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I know this is a tech forum, and this will probably get locked, but... Anything to make it easier to wrangle kids is worth it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#7]
wow,
in
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I think someone made a baby carrier in the last year or two.  Seems like they were doing it for a novelty for the .MIL dads to play around with.  I can't remember who it was, but they stopped selling them because of the product liability of that type thing.  

I used a Baby Bjorn a lot when my little boy was...uh...littler. My diaper bag/spare clothes bag is still an escape and evasion bag, so I was able to get a little tactical with that.
CHRIS

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

And some light fragmentation as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Can you just dress the kid in velcro loops & have a velcro hook vest?  Even works for toddlers, "Behave, or Daddy will glue you to his chest."
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was grinning about this thread until I read this post, then I lol'd.  Good job, 13'er, good job.

As to the OP...  No.  Rethink your plan from A to Z and stop considering this as an option.  At all.  Period.

If you are wearing your PC because of real need, you should be putting space between the kiddo and yourself.  If you are wearing the kiddo, you should be putting space between you and danger.  Period.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I think you would have better luck with a purpose designed baby carrier/diaper and accessories bag combo.  Putting your kids on a PC is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#13]
as a custom gear maker - I STOP all inquiries to this end.  not to mention I will laugh and tell others about you query

But seriously,  there is a strict liability issue, combined with CPSC concerns, ergonomic factors, functionality and load distribution.

Lets put it another way, when a larger manufacturer puts up the idea, and then within hours retracts said idea... thats a clue.

you are FAR BETTER off with a purpose designed soft baby carrier ( carries baby FACING YOU )

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Just when I thought I'd heard or seen it all.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
as a custom gear maker - I STOP all inquiries to this end.  not to mention I will laugh and tell others about you query

But seriously,  there is a strict liability issue, combined with CPSC concerns, ergonomic factors, functionality and load distribution.

Lets put it another way, when a larger manufacturer puts up the idea, and then within hours retracts said idea... thats a clue.

you are FAR BETTER off with a purpose designed soft baby carrier ( carries baby FACING YOU )

View Quote

However I am sure Eggy and Co. can make a baller cammo (Kryptec anyone?) covering for your Baby'sRUs carrier.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
"Tactical Daddy" was an idea for Halloween, I think that is his aim.
View Quote

I thought "Tactical Daddy" was the name of the gay BOTD subforum.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Battle belt and a commercial baby carrier might actually work

Thinking outloud
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Battle belt and a commercial baby carrier might actually work

Thinking outloud
View Quote

not really... most well designed reputable baby carriers have an integral padded waist belt assembly sewn onto the harness
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:01:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Man... I'm glad I've got thick skin.

And I'm not trying to use baby as soft armor, nor stomp around with plates and 3A in. I have to say I enjoy the sense of humor though. If I think I need my armor were getting the hell out of dodge.

Really though, a modular platform for carrying kid and crap hands free seems like a stellar idea to me. Hell, even if it was a pre configured getup like those shit cross draw vests, as long as it had cup holders I'm in. I've succumbed to the minivan....I NEED CUPHOLDERS. But yeah, her friend was not boding well. We had to intervene a couple of times when her 3yo decided to bolt. And for some unknown reason the wife refuses to put the kids on a leash. They make kid leashes for a reason. Also no spanking so the old fallback of "run off again and I'll whoop that butt" is out.

Between diaper bag and daddy bag and backpacks I damn near need a second stroller just to push the crap we haul around. We must plan for every. possible. contingency. 3% chance of rain next Tuesday? Better pack effing rain gear. They might do something adorable? Better pack a photo studio.

I'm going about this all wrong. I need a Sherpa.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 1:15:57 AM EDT
[#20]
You need to separate your reality of being a dad from your fantasy of being a ninja commando.

I am also a dad, and a well organized diaper bag is an amazing thing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 1:54:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm looking for a mil-spec MOLLE baby pouch, in multicam or coyote too.

Also will 40mm pouches fit baby food jars?
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:  Really though, a modular platform for carrying kid and crap hands free seems like a stellar idea to me. Hell, even if it was a pre configured getup like those shit cross draw vests, as long as it had cup holders I'm in. I've succumbed to the minivan....I NEED CUPHOLDERS. But yeah, her friend was not boding well. We had to intervene a couple of times when her 3yo decided to bolt. And for some unknown reason the wife refuses to put the kids on a leash. They make kid leashes for a reason. Also no spanking so the old fallback of "run off again and I'll whoop that butt" is out.
View Quote

You might have bigger issues than you've alluded to in this thread.  You can't spank kids in Kentucky?
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You need to separate your reality of being a dad from your fantasy of being a ninja commando.
View Quote

This is what I'm thinking too. Way too much want to be tacticool going on in your head when you want to attach a baby bag to a plate carrier as an excuse to wear it. Come back to reality and quit trying to be in a Brad Pitt movie.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Despite what all the cool kids and the many many posters who lack any kind of reading comprehension say, this IDEA isn't nearly as blasphemous as it is being made out to be. He didn't state he wants to use the plate carrier as a plate carrier so he can throw the baby on there and get into a gun fight with nazi zombies.  Just that he wanted to entertain the idea of using the carrier as a platform that does the job the better than what he currently uses.  I don't have a baby thus no baby carrier, but I imagine there are baby carriers out there that do exactly what he wants without the need for a plate carrier.  With that said, if he can set it up to carry baby efficiently while carrying all of his other baby supplies on his person within easy reach and it makes his life easier, is using the PC as a base platform really that bad?  It wouldn't be the first time something was designed for one purpose, but filled another quite well.  It's not like the tacticool gods are going to strike you down because you put a sippy cup in a mag pouch is it?  

OP, if you can make it work well, it is cost effective for you, and you don't mind any negative attention it brings from the people around you,  I don't see why it wouldn't be worth a try.  I have my doubts as to you being able to fulfill the criteria I listed (carrying the baby efficiently mostly) but if it is something you want to try, try it.  I personally don't see why getting something like the one pictured below wouldn't do the job better, but hey, whatever floats your boat.  

ETA:  I think the real idea here is to have someone design a front and back baby carrier vest that allows you to switch pockets around.  PC gave you the idea, but PC likely isn't the best way to execute the idea.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#25]
I do like the idea that a simple yank of a pull-ring & you're free of diapers, sippy cups, & baby...
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Is a baby rated Level II, III, or IV?

Also, IBTL.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Despite what all the cool kids and the many many posters who lack any kind of reading comprehension say, this IDEA isn't nearly as blasphemous as it is being made out to be. He didn't state he wants to use the plate carrier as a plate carrier so he can throw the baby on there and get into a gun fight with nazi zombies.  Just that he wanted to entertain the idea of using the carrier as a platform that does the job the better than what he currently uses.  I don't have a baby thus no baby carrier, but I imagine there are baby carriers out there that do exactly what he wants without the need for a plate carrier.  With that said, if he can set it up to carry baby efficiently while carrying all of his other baby supplies on his person within easy reach and it makes his life easier, is using the PC as a base platform really that bad?  It wouldn't be the first time something was designed for one purpose, but filled another quite well.  It's not like the tacticool gods are going to strike you down because you put a sippy cup in a mag pouch is it?  

OP, if you can make it work well, it is cost effective for you, and you don't mind any negative attention it brings from the people around you,  I don't see why it wouldn't be worth a try.  I have my doubts as to you being able to fulfill the criteria I listed (carrying the baby efficiently mostly) but if it is something you want to try, try it.  I personally don't see why getting something like the one pictured below wouldn't do the job better, but hey, whatever floats your boat.  

http://www.carrymeaway.com/images/Camel-backpack-ERGO-baby-carrier-action.jpg

ETA:  I think the real idea here is to have someone design a front and back baby carrier vest that allows you to switch pockets around.  PC gave you the idea, but PC likely isn't the best way to execute the idea.
View Quote

Thank you! Finally someone gets it. I'm not saying that I'd load up my CIRAS with baby and gear, but starting with something like a simple chest rig with integrated bib, once everything is set up you're not really going to look like you're about storm Toys-R-Us. Very little webbing would be seen. I think everyone is envisioning me strolling down the street in full Crye load out for some reason but I'd stick to black to more closely emulate a traditional carrier.

That baby pack is actually very similar to what I had in mind albeit backwards. I'll have to go check out their products. If it weren't for the lack of time, and initiative, I'd be half tempted to just break out the sewing machine and get busy. It really wouldn't take much to add a little webbing here and there to something just to have some additional storage by way of a couple add on pouches. Hell, an admin or IFAK  and a couple of pouches for sippy cups on the front of most any baby carrier would be a vast improvement.

We'll now return you to your regularly scheduled program. As for me, since I'm apparently the most operator Jason Bourne ninja tacticool daddy in existence, I'm going to kit up using my children as human shields (they're LVL II fyi) and go clear the food court at the mall. I hear some cats at Panda Express have been taken hostage and their captors refuse to negotiate.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I got what you were saying.  Almost had the ladies at work make me one up.  I was just pointing out that someone had already done it, as a manufacturer.  And that it was pulled because selling the thing as a baby carrier had a ton of liability and registration/testing with it.  So, you won't find a regular nylon gear manufacturer that will mess with that.  

You can always have someone sew one up for you (if they will) or sew it yourself.   Those will be your two options.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://www.carrymeaway.com/images/Camel-backpack-ERGO-baby-carrier-action.jpg

View Quote

not a single person that has replied thought he meant using a baby during a gun fight. that is asinine to believe anyone in this thread was thinking it. however, he did basically explain he thought it out to be a plate carrier with a way to attach a baby to the front and use all of his pouch for baby type stuff. so we're not far off from what he is looking to do based on his original post of what he is looking for.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll just leave this here...
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#31]

and they were immediately pulled from being offered by Mayflower
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hands down funniest shit I've read on here to date...

I'm fuckin crying here, thank you LOL
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This is what I'm thinking too. Way too much want to be tacticool going on in your head when you want to attach a baby bag to a plate carrier as an excuse to wear it. Come back to reality and quit trying to be in a Brad Pitt movie.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally edited By jtb0311:

How bout fuck both you killjoys.

The shits fun and as a father of 3 I can attest to the fact that doin shit like this saves lives... cuz i would have snapped by now if not for my grenade molle grenade pouches for my monsters and flashbang pouches for my 2 month olds bottles.

It was mayflower that did the tactical baby Bjorn.
That said, my pig brig vest is screaming Velcro an infant to me.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#34]
This is fucking stupid.

If you need to carry babies, get a baby carrier.

Link Posted: 11/5/2013 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

And for some unknown reason the wife refuses to put the kids on a leash. They make kid leashes for a reason. Also no spanking so the old fallback of "run off again and I'll whoop that butt" is out.

View Quote

Because parents suck at holding their childs hands.

Never used one and never intend to. I always say something about a cute dog on 2 legs.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#36]
What the fucking fuck.

Link Posted: 11/5/2013 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#37]
In fairness, I have to disclose that despite my snarkiness, Gene Higdon sent me a tactical diaper bag after my second daughter was born.  It later became the Moose pack and to this day is the best single piece of anything Cordura that I own.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 12:42:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:11:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Lol soft armor
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
http://tacticalbabygear.com/

Maybe they can make one...
View Quote

Dude! That $50 all in one diaper bag will cost you $20 at LA Police Gear. Looks identical to their Bug out Bag.

Bail Out Bag
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Im a long time lurker; joined today just to be able to say I posted in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Welcome!  Pics of baby would be appropriate, I believe.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#43]
An LA active baby carrier rig will work!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#44]
jeez, this thread will not die

FWIW that diaper bag is not the "bailout bag" lunch bag from LAPG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top