Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2003 10:01:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/8/2003 12:19:41 PM EST by RABIDFOX50]
OK, I think I did a bonehead thing to my REM 870. I purchased a Wilson Combat mag. extension for my 870 and installed it not realizing Remington PC'd the mag tube with dimples to keep folks from adding said mag extensions. I search some of the posts here and came across one that suggested using a Craftsman socket with just alittle smaller inside diameter to "flatten" the dimples out to allow the new mag extension to function properly. Well, I tried it and now the mag tube is bulged a bit where the dimples are. They flattened out a bit but I still had to do alittle grinding to smooth it out on the inside. When I went to replace the barrel, I discovered the barrel would not fit over the mag tube due to this slight bulge.[>Q] If I tap on the barrel it will move into place but the fit is so tight that I am now worried. After some time I was able to remove the barrel again thankfully without any damage. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this or am I screwed? Please don't laugh at me too much for this dumb mistake! Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:51:21 AM EST
Well...you could take a large hammer and...just kidding...try lubrication before anything else, it will probably help. You may have to polish the outside diameter of the tube, but only if you have to. Do NOT grind on the inside of the barrel attachment "ring" to remove metal. Always work on the cheapest part if at all possible.

Read your signature line.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 12:29:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/8/2003 12:30:22 PM EST by RABIDFOX50]
ikor, Did what you said but still had trouble. I then had an idea. I got a hose clamp (the kind you tighten with a screwdriver for your radiator hoses) and tighten it around the bulged area alittle at a time checking for barrel fit. Sure enough it WORKED! Thats a load off my mind. i went to the range to run a dozen rounds through and it is working PERFECT! Maybe some one else out there had (or will have) the same BLONDE MOMENT that I did and it will work for them too. Although it would be best to just not do what I did in the first place!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:11:18 AM EST
Schmaart...vewwy schnaart! Nice quick, inexpensive fix...and to think, last week you could not even spell "gunsmith"!
Top Top