Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/29/2002 7:51:51 PM EDT
Hi all,

I have a stupid question. I bought a AR10-T Carbine last month. I used Black Hills 168gr moly coated bullets to try and breack the barrel in. I did not have any bore cleaner at the time so I just used CLP and a boresnake. I only got through 80 rounds. I finally got the shooters choice bore cleaner that i ordered in the mail. I put a few wet patches through and it came out pretty clean, that is until I wet a bronze brush and ran a patch through after it. The patch came out very blue. I am told that this is copper from the bullets.

Well, this is my problem. After scrubbing with a bronze brush the 1st patch is very blue, the second comes out clean. I decide to scrub with the bronze brush again, and the first patch is still very blue, and the second comes out clean. Well, I did this maybe 15 times with the brush (each time scrubbing 12 passes). Each time after scrubbing with a brush the first patch is still just as blue as the first time I did it. The second patch still comes out clean.

Am I doing something wrong? or do I need to continue this? I must have went through 80 patches tonight.

The directions on the bottle just say wet two patches, followed by scrubbing with a bronze brush, then wet 3-5 more patches and the gun should be clean.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:55:01 PM EDT
The bronze brush is causing your BLUES!! Use a stainless steel or a nylon brush and you will be all good!

Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:26:25 AM EDT
Highlandmac,

Thanks! I mean really, thanks. I was begining to think that this rifle was used when it was supposed to be new. I didnt think that moly bullets would leave that much copper behind. So brass turns blue as well huh?
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 8:35:12 AM EDT
Whatever you do don't use a stainless bore brush! They are very damaging to your bore finish.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 9:03:48 AM EDT
the blue is caused by reaction of bronze brush with chemicals in your bore cleaner. I do not use Shooters Choice, but assume from what you describe it is intended for removal of copper fouling.

a couple bits I have heard and follow...

1.) Bronze Brush - use with nitro/powder removal solvents only (Hoppes #9, etc..)

2.) Nylon Brush - use with copper removal solvents. Be sure to clean/rinse brushes after use.

any other members familiar with the above?

Bravo5-2
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:08:21 PM EDT
This site is great! Thanks for the responses. I am using the shooters choice bore cleaner. I called the guy who owns the company and he told me to use a phosforus bronze brush with it. He told me the bore cleaner does remove copper, but it is not as strong as the shooters choice copper cleaner. He told me the copper cleaner is mainly for old rifles with a lot of residue and copper build up. He said for a new rifle the bore cleaner is what to use. Apparently the shooters choice bore cleaner also acts as a lubricant as well.

can anyone confirm this as I am new to all of this stuff. All I used before was a boresnake and lots of CLP!

Thanks
Top Top