Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2017 6:49:10 PM EDT
Now that I've had a few months to put the MAWL to use on my property taking down hogs and dogs, I am pleased to admit that it is one of the best NV purchases that I've made lately and really upped my game hunting at night with NVO.

Really like the ergonomics working my fingertips in the dark on the controls and the Medium setting to me is absolutely the best IR Laser/Illuminator combo that I've ever used, bar none. Also, the visible green laser has taken down a number of hogs too around sundown.

I've put it to good work on my KAC-15 SBR and my AA 6.5 Grendel SBR.

Pics of MAWL in same thermal 175 yard scene:

Covers the entire 200 yard food plot for easy head shots:

Thanks to Vic and TNVC Sam for talking me into getting this great kit!
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice bro.

Ill go be poor somewhere else now

Edits: Needs more Vis Light
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Took down this 410 pound boar with the green laser on the MAWL in a fast and furious mag dump soon after I got it:

Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Noice!

can i come play?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Food plots are overflowing with millet, dwarf corn, iron peas, etc and the hogs are ripping them up non-stop, except when I show up!
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I couldn't agree more. I winced at the price when I bought mine, but..it's an amazing piece of gear. By far the best laser i've owned or used. Illuminator is powerful and useful, the fire modes work great, activation is comfortable and reliable. Zero complaints.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#6]
My sentiments exactly, I did not get to use one before I purchased it and just looked over the specs and ergonomics of the unit, a little talk with Vic and Sam and it was on the way.

Probably be selling 4 Black and Tan DBAL-D2s before long to get another one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Jesus christ, is that bigger than you can? That thing look Uuuuge... did you kill the hogs with just the laser or did you bludgeon them with it?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jesus christ, is that bigger than you can? That thing look Uuuuge... did you kill the hogs with just the laser or did you bludgeon them with it?
View Quote
Two of us were setup in my UTV in my backyard watching the thermal screen from my remote FLIR M-324 Pan/Tilt over an area I had baited with corn pipes where some large hogs were showing up. Both of us had suppressed SIG 716 .308s with FLIR T-50 and T-70 thermals.

Large Loner Boar Hog shows up out of dense woods into the open 75 yards in front of us, target with thermals and countdown 1,2,3....

I shoot and boar is knocked over with a loud WHACK when .308 pill hits him, however he gets back up and and is limping into a nearby dense jungle brush.

No shot from my buddy, his rifle missfired with a dud reloaded shell.

Get out and both of us search with helmet mounted FLIR M-24 thermals and FLIR XR hand scanners for an hour with no thermal signatures sighted.

Get back home at 4:30AM and crash.

After sunup, headed back out to canvass area to try to discover where the wounded boar bedded down for the night, figuring he would be dead.

Had my KAC-15 with Truijicon ACOG, BE Meyers MAWL dual beam laser on Green Vis, two magazines of 556 77gr SMKs, and my SIG P-226 .357SIG TACOPS.

Hiked out into the dense brush and began transecting the area back and forth using the FLIR InstaAlert checking for heat signatures.

About to give it up after an hour of hiking back and forth in and out, when I stepped out of a thick bristle brush right on top of the hog bedded down 20 feet in front of me.

He got up and ran into even deeper thicker woods thicket with me getting off five quick shots at point blank range into his side and ass with the MAWL Visible Green laser as he disappeared again.

Circled the thick brush trying to see him with no joy for thirty minutes.

The sun was occluded and I was on the verge of getting lost in the dense woods but kept slowing walking around a dense thicket.

Suddenly he came charging out at me from 40 feet, with MAWL Green Laser on his head I shot him 10 times and he went down 25 feet from me.

Shot another five rounds into his neck to sever his spine and I finally had him dead at my feet.

Now I was a quarter mile or more deep in the woods pretty much almost lost as the morning sun was obliterated with dense clouds.

Tried to walk straight back out to forest grade to the ATV but that was impossible.

Somehow made it back out to the grade and hiked down to ATV and returned to my marked spot where I had come out.

Driving the ATV in there to get the hog was a nightmare and extremely difficult getting hung up everywhere and getting lost again.

Had to come back out to forest grade twice and reenter to try to find the dead hog where I had left him.

On the third try I finally saw him, roped him on the hitch and put in in 4WD to drag him out.

After overheating the ATV, finally made it out to the grade and headed a half mile back home in 1st gear 4WD.

Thank God for diesel engine power and tractor hydraulics as I finally got him winched up in the barn about noontime and he weighed 410 pounds on the scale, hams are 40 pounds each.

Went to brewery and got 300 pounds of ice and a case of freshly brewed suds and went to work on the beast......

This is my SIG 716 .308 I shot him with Elcan 1-6X, FLIR T-70 handloaded Barnes 130 gr. TSX:

Here is the size of this dude's hoof:

Most amazing day I have had in a long long time......
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:12:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just the pictures. It's really not large at all.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Lightweight too, it does not get any better than this.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lightweight too, it does not get any better than this.
View Quote
With all the high end gear you have, a large property to live/hunt on, all the NFA items anyone could want, yeah I'd say your living the dream. If you need a shooting buddy LMK
How does the MAWL compare to the D2 illuminator/ IR laser at all distances?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

With all the high end gear you have, a large property to live/hunt on, all the NFA items anyone could want, yeah I'd say your living the dream. If you need a shooting buddy LMK
View Quote
According to website specs the d2 does 800 yards. In reality, imo, that's under perfect conditions.

The MAWL has pre set settings for fast switching from short to medium to long. It's just as bright if not more do than the D2.  It's awesome. Just not $1500 more awesome in my opinion for my use. I just don't transition from short to long distances enough to justice the function and all that extra money.

If I was kicking doors or chasing critters who shoot back, through unknown terrain, I'd buy a MAWL in a second.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, the D2 does have a great long range illuminator and you can put a Neutral Density Filter over the IR laser to mute it out for pinpoint use, but it is way heavier and if mounted on top of rail will interfere with some optics, I have a dozen ACOGs and ELCANs so not a problem for me, but for others maybe some interference.

I normally do not take IR laser kill shots at night out past about 200 yards, so within that range both work equally well for me, I certainly will not be shooting anything at the long range distance both of these kits can provide.

As an example of size comparison to the MAWL, here is another of my SIG 716s with the DBAL-D2 in front of a FLIR T-50 TWS:

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#14]
My LDI SPIR is equal or more powerful than the DBAL-D2 illum is, I use it mostly for filming NV movies at night.

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#15]
The FLIR T-60 military TWS also easily clears the DBAL-D2, but like I said many other TWS will not.

With the MAWL, however, clearance is not a problem with most TWS.

As does the Long Range military FLIR T-75 TWS:

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:12:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Are you retired?  What did you do for a living?  Lol. I need to get in on it.

I'd love to have D2's and MAWLS on my NV guns and a thermal AR.

I mean, I guess I could do all of that for about $3000 with a used D2 and the new FLIR offering but who wants to wait and save?!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I full time manage my properties according to my land conservation plans.

BTW, my single BE Meyers MAWL is worth more than my 4 DBAL-D2s.

Will soon be getting another one.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks for the post and all the pictures.

I recently also picked up a MAWL. And I have not decided on emote switches for it. I see a single cable running off yours. Could you please share what kind of remote switch setup you are using on the MAWL along with explanation as to why you're running it that way? Just looking for some input before I lay out a bunch more for switches that I might not even use.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#19]
That's awesome, I might get rid of my atpial in favor of a mawl next year.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wait so does that mean you'll be selling them for around $625?  I'll take one if that's the case. FDE please
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:37:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

MAWL TAPS is in the works if that helps.
View Quote
How is it different than the normal TAPS? I may be interested in this.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I am just utilizing one of the switches off one of my dozen DBALs for the activation on my KAC-15 SBR, works great but only ON-OFF, TAPS should be nice.

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Someone is going to be a lucky dog.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:14:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am just utilizing one of the switches off one of my dozen DBALs for the activation on my KAC-15 SBR, works great but only ON-OFF, TAPS should be nice.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/MAWL/MAWL%20Switch.JPG
View Quote

So you ran a single switch to which button- A or B? And how did you pick which one to attach to?

MAWL TAPS would be swell, can't wait to see what TNVC wizards come up with.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I guess it is the "B" button, when looking at MAWL from the rear, I am using the button on the far right.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Best laser out there for sure.  It's expensive as hell, but so is everything that is worth it.  I had no idea that TNVC/Unity were working on a MAWL specific TAPS, I should have been more specific with my questions to Sam last weekend!  Cannot wait for this to get released.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
TNVC sent one for top placing night runner at Cola Warrior.

This thing is amazing.

You can see the 400m target clear as day with it when folks with all kinds of different illuminators usually have problems seeing it.

Not only that the flood switching is great and super fast to use.

Best Laser ever. I am going to be so sad to give it away haha.
View Quote
Is there any night spots left?
I'd be down for a drive this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Is there any night spots left?
I'd be down for a drive this weekend.
View Quote
You are a little late as it was last weekend.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#34]
For you guys that own them, have you encountered any rails that it blocked the 3 or 9 position from installing a light?  I am looking at getting a few Geissele or SLR rails, and I want to make sure that the 3 or 9 positions will not be blocked by the MAWL on these.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Isn’t the LDI SPIR essentially what is built into the DBAL D2 to provide IR illum?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Not really. Close but no cigar.....

Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#37]
I've been using my atpial for a while now and haven't been exposed to anything else, I acquired a tlr2 ir for a good price and it blows the atpial out of the water. This had made me decide I need a mawl because on the farm I need long range illumination. Planning on selling the atpial to fund a mawl.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:17:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've been using my atpial for a while now and haven't been exposed to anything else, I acquired a tlr2 ir for a good price and it blows the atpial out of the water. This had made me decide I need a mawl because on the farm I need long range illumination. Planning on selling the atpial to fund a mawl.
View Quote
You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You won't be disappointed.
View Quote
+1 on that!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top