Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2002 6:41:00 PM EDT
Hey, I saw a Benelli Nova going for $340, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on whether to get it or not?  I'm not really big into shotguns, but I felt I should get one just in case.  A Benelli (and a cheap one at that!) sounded pretty good as an alternative to a Mossberg.  

Anyway, from the ad, it says the gun is pump action, synthetic stocked, 3.5" chamber, 3 chokes, 24" or 28" vent rib, matte finish and "double action bars(?)."  

So whadayathink?
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#1]
ugley as sin IMO. however, a great pump gun. light and smooth. great for rough feild use. tis hard on the shoulder. its a good gun all around.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#2]
My brothers,girlfriends,brother lost his wife over that shotgun. He bought it and she flat out divorced him. So yeah should be pretty good gun.

Ben
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Options include rifled slug barrel and recoil reducer for the faint of heart.  A very good buy for the bucks.
W
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I think double action bars refer to the action bar assembly, the piece that connects the "pump" to the bolt. On some shotguns, there is only one bar. On others, there is two. With only one, you get more wobble in the forearm, although Novas are wobbly at that. My advice: Winchester 1300 (cheap, dependable, acessorizeable (sp?)). My friend got one in 12 ga., loves the thing. Jokes around with me about how he payed about half as much as I did for my Remington 1100 (hey, I wanted a semi-auto).

Edited to add: In my experience it actually connects to the bolt carrier (sometimes a part of the action bar assembly, sometimes not), and not the bolt itself, as I stated above.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#6]
How much would a synthetic 870 or 1300 go for?  I've always hated the Winchester, but then again I kinda thought the Benelli was more "interesting" than ugly!  I guess its a matter of me saying "I own a Benelli" that sparked interest.  870's and Mossbergs are a dime a dozen, but yes, I know that they work!  

I'm trying to stay under $350 considering that I only really shoot high power bolt guns and wouldn't get much use from the shotgun.  I used to have a nice 1100, but I straight traded it for a PSS 223 with leupold 3.5-10, and that was 6 years ago, so its time for something new!  I guess I gotta check the gun out in person before i do anything.  

PS. A gun is better than a woman any day of the week!  No bitching, no moaning, keep it lubed and your action is fine!  Lucky my girl love guns as much as I do!  
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
My first (and only so far) shotgun is a Benelli Nova. I went to the gunstore wanting a semi-auto, but couldn't bring myself to spend 600+ on my first shotgun.

Look at them all, shot my friends remmington and his brothers Mossburg 590.

I left the store with a Benelli Nova. Cheap, quality built (IMHO), and with the Mag EXT. the gun looked very good, I will admit it sorta is ugly to me without it.

As far as the Nova being hard on the shoulder, the person who said that is high because my nova has been the easiest on my shoulder then any other pump shotgun I've shot.

Plus it came with Ghost ring sights, the ability to shot 3 1/2 shells, sling hookups, and the ability to remove shell out of chamber without entering new one. I installed the recoil reducer, witch is a must with 3 1/2, OUCH!

Easiest pump to clean as well, take apart a mossberg and then take apart the Nova, it speaks for itself.

The overall value is there, just do yourself a favor and drop another $40-$50 into the mag ext.
and your set.

I say go for it, I haven't been disappointed by my Nova yet. All my friends looking for Pumps, after they shot mine and I told them how much I spent total, lets just say I have 2 friends now with same shotgun.

Did I miss something
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

As far as the Nova being hard on the shoulder, the person who said that is high because my nova has been the easiest on my shoulder then any other pump shotgun I've shot.

i wish.

seriosuly,unlike autos, a pump gun is a pump gun when it comes to recoil. the diffrence is the weight. simple math, less weight moves more. it isnt a problem shooting normal loads, but thier is a reason they have the reducer. i have heard of guys fukin thier shoudlers up good taking a shot at a turkey with a 3.5inch load. iahve shot them and found it to be a bit harder recoil than my M1S90 (obviously though)
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i wish.

seriosuly,unlike autos, a pump gun is a pump gun when it comes to recoil. the diffrence is the weight. simple math, less weight moves more. it isnt a problem shooting normal loads, but thier is a reason they have the reducer. i have heard of guys fukin thier shoudlers up good taking a shot at a turkey with a 3.5inch load. iahve shot them and found it to be a bit harder recoil than my M1S90 (obviously though)

I don't know, maybe I'm high or something, but when I shoot my friends 590, the added weight seems to add heft to the recoil.

I know what your saying, more weight absorbs the recoil, that's always the general rule.
But for shooting shotguns, it doesn't seem to apply. Like I said, maybe I'm the high one, but I think recoil gets to certain point and recoil says, "your either with me, or against me".

Something like that.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:58:20 PM EDT
[#10]
You can pick up a 1300 for $200-$250. Unless something has changed, they don't chamber 3-1/2. I love mine, especially since I didn't have to buy a mag extension(don't like the look of those things). Beautiful action, shoots anything chambered for it, accessorizable(word?) if you choose...what more can you want for a KISS shotty? Most people seem to prefer synthetic, and for good reasons, but I like the wood furniture. It plays into my cruiser cop fantasies.

Some folks knock the aluminum receiver, but I like it. Once that bolt locks, there not any stress on the receiver during shooting that I could tell.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:16:05 AM EDT
[#11]
My first shotgun was a Benelli Nova tactical with the 18 inch barrel. Oh its a beauty, i dont know why you guys think its ugly
I get great compliments at the range, asking what the hell it is. Anyway, as for function, its a fine piece of work. For the 300 i paid, the gun operates smoothly and is damn accurate with slugs. Groupings are tight enough with buck. Do try to get it with ghostring sights if your getting the 18 inch model. I also agree with others on the mag extension, its a worthwhile buy. It adds another two to make a total of 7 and places the mag at length with the barrel. As for the recoil reducer, I havent noticed too much differnece with it on. (maybe i installed it wrong? crap) But its like 8 oz of mercury inside some tube, and it is a bit expensive. but if your into the big and dirty 3.5 inch magnum slugs, it probably would be a good idea. Damn things are so loud at teh range that people stop and look. And if your wondering, tactical lights are available for the gun. The one i have mounts to the magazine tube, and also has a touchpad for quick on/off.
The pump is different from others with its funny shape. Very easy to grab with or without gloves.

Anyway, if you decide to get it, i've found the remington slugs to be the most accurate, then the brenneke KO's, then the rest is a toss in the air. Happy hunting
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:54:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks again folks, but I was wondering whether I'd be better off getting the 28" vent rib or the 21" with ghosts first?  Which accessory barrel is easier to find after I buy the gun?  Also was wondering whether the extension is an accessory or whether it must be purchased with the gun? Also wondering how much the recoil reducer costs? Looks like I'm gettin a Benelli!

Oh yeah, about the ugly thing....I don't think the birds, clays and home intruders will notice the foogliness of the gun, but if they do, well, that sucks for them to know that they are about to get hit with an ugly bang stick!
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Fiber optic sight?  Got a link to it?   Would you suggest getting the ghost ring w/21" barrel and adding on a 28" vent rib or the other way around?  

Anyone have info on the aftermarket availability of that extension?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
P.S. - Just noticed the price you first quoted, try shopping around, they can be found for under $400.

I thought $340 is under $400?    Did you mean that I can find it under $300?  I'm all ears if you know a source!  CDNN has it listed for the $340, which seemed like an amazing price on ANY Benelli, but I had planned on doing more shopping around after I researched it.  

Thanks for the tips though, I'm glad I learned SOMETHING about shotguns today!  Its been too long and I was always disinterested in them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Minman,

I have a number of 870's and have been shooting them for 25 years.  I love them and I can;t miss with them, but the next pump I buy is a Nova.  That is the best shotgun value on the market right now.  It won't replace my 870's but it has a place in my arsenal!  The price of that gun is slowly climbing.  It is the Glock of shotguns.  Ugly, plastic and reliable.

Any modern pump worth a crap has dual action bars, it keeps the action from binding when you slide it,  Look at an old Winchester model 12 or 42 to see the difference.

Since you say you are not a shotgun guy, go to a store that has both the 870 and the Nova.  Try shouldering both of them.  Assuming they both fit you equally well, you may find the Nova has a more comfortable front grip.  Fit is the key issue, but take a look at the physical differences between the two.

Also, the Nova has a few other differences, in adition to the easy to obtain and install recoil reducer.

Get the tactical version and buy the 28" field barrel later, assuming this is a defensive gun first, field gun second.  Better yet spend the $90 on the recoil reducer first and buy Federal Buffered Tactical loads to shoot in it.  It makes for a good set up
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought my Benelli Nova for $215! It was on special: the rest of the Novas on sale were hunting/sports guns, and this was the "Special Purpose" (i.e., defense) shotgun - basic 18.5" bbl and bead sight.

Great gun, nice & tight - unlike the Mossbergs I've seen. Quality through & through.

Ghost ring sights are a $30+ option.

You should also look at the HK/Fabarm pump guns.
Saw 'em at the Reno NRA convention: beautiful - and they have chrome-lined barrels.

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Mag extensions are available as an accessory. They're directly from Benelli and packaged in this pain in the ass wrap. I think it costed me about 50 bucks? (not too sure, it was over a year ago) Anyway, you can also find them around on the internet so it shouldn't be too hard. When installing, just be careful of that spring, its a long tight mother focker. Almost poked my eye out installing the thing.

To those who DO have a NOVA with the Mag Extension, what did you guys do with the end caps? Im curious, because you can't screw it on anywhere now. Or is there an attachment that lets u do that? I liked the end cap, it was a nice heavy piece of metal. =o(
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i wish.

I don't know, maybe I'm high or something, but when I shoot my friends 590, the added weight seems to add heft to the recoil.

I know what your saying, more weight absorbs the recoil, that's always the general rule.
But for shooting shotguns, it doesn't seem to apply. Like I said, maybe I'm the high one, but I think recoil gets to certain point and recoil says, "your either with me, or against me".

Something like that.  

I'm pretty sure you're high.

Lighter shotgun, same gauge and load = more felt recoil than a heavier shotgun.

It works. My big cumbersome (imho) 1100 with the 28" barrel has almost no recoil with birdshot. I could put 500+ rounds through it without any shoulder pain at all.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

It works. My big cumbersome (imho) 1100 with the 28" barrel has almost no recoil with birdshot. I could put 500+ rounds through it without any shoulder pain at all.

you have the gas system helpin ya there though
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought $340 is under $400?  

Sorry, must be dyslexic today!  $340 is a great price but unless you've got a good buddy that does FFL transfers cheap I recommend going to your local shop.  If you can find a local dealer with one for $379 or less buy it direct to skip all the transfer hassle plus you're supporting your local store.  Supporting your local shop can be a future benefit to you in several ways.

Yeah, I had planned on some light negotiating, but they were our competition.  Our stores were right across the street and they still remember me, so they're less friendly than I had hoped in the past.  Oh yeah, the mother faucker that ran our store, ran it into the ground.  Bastards.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Mag extensions are available as an accessory. They're directly from Benelli and packaged in this pain in the ass wrap. I think it costed me about 50 bucks? (not too sure, it was over a year ago) Anyway, you can also find them around on the internet so it shouldn't be too hard. When installing, just be careful of that spring, its a long tight mother focker. Almost poked my eye out installing the thing.

To those who DO have a NOVA with the Mag Extension, what did you guys do with the end caps? Im curious, because you can't screw it on anywhere now. Or is there an attachment that lets u do that? I liked the end cap, it was a nice heavy piece of metal. =o(

I put it in my cleaning box. The end of the cap was designed to push out 2 pins to disassemble the trigger group, bolt slide, and bolt.

You can use it to push out pins on AR as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, a pump shotgun is going to have more felt recoil for sure. Your exempt for this test.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top