Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2005 5:24:38 PM EDT
I TRIED TO CONTACT BENELLI BUT NO WORD SO FAR.. ANYONE KNOW IF IT'S ALRIGHT TO FIRE SLUGS OUT OF MY M4 WITH THE STOCK CHOKE TUBE IN IT..?? SHOULD I HUNT FOR A RIFLED CHOKE TUBE TO GET MORE ACCURACY..?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#1]
what choke is in it.   i used improved cylinder and never had a problem
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#2]
use an open choke for slugs, imp. cyl. or cyl.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#3]
The standard choke in the M4 is an IC, which is slug, lead shot, and steel shot compatible.

I am able to get 2" to 6" groups at 75 yards using Federal Tactical (reduced recoil) rifled slugs with the IC choke, depending on my sighting method (EOTech or Ghost-ring) and how I'm feeling that day.

*Do Not* fire the shotgun without the choke installed - you'll ruin the threads in the barrel.

You can verify the choke type by removal of the choke using the supplied tool:

Notches (muzzle end of choke) or Marks (exterior wall of choke tube), increasing order of restriction:

5 = Cylinder (open)
4 = Improved cylinder
3 = Modified
2 = Improved modified
1 = Full

The first two (5,4) chokes are rifled slug compatible, the first three (5,4,3) are steel shot compatible

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:12:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I should also have added... a restrictive choke (i.e. anything other than a cylinder, or "C") has no significant beneficial effect on patterns produced by anything larger than and including #1 buck.  This is especially true at defensive ranges.  Chokes more restrictive than improved cylinder/IC cause lead fouling or worse, and potential accuracy problems with slugs.

The only reason to use a rifled choke is for sabot-style slugs, which are not generally useful for defensive situations.

The IC choke supplied in M4 barrels is a good compromise for defensive use - it won't create problems when used with buckshot or slugs, and it can still be used with benefit for smaller shot sizes to improve the pattern.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top