Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2002 11:18:37 PM EDT
Check out this awesome post ban BATF legal "Wilson Combat" "Tactical muzzle break".  It looks almost identical to the pre ban "bird cage" flash suppressors.

I'm getting one.  The beauty is that it can be welded/pinned to the barrel so it's not a loose fitting piece of garbage.  Wilson Combat is A+

www.wilsoncombat.com/ar/muzz_break.asp
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 5:24:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I've already had one, shot it extensively, and had it cut off because it didn't do an effective job at reducing recoil or muzzle flip.  The Wilson brake makes the recoil go to the left and I've shot a few Wilson brakes on different rifles.

I would recommend one made by Kurt's Kustom or a Cav Comp over the Wilson brake.

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 5:27:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Cav comp is cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:44:47 AM EDT
[#3]
KKF's brakes look and shoot *WAY* better IMHO. Plus he has a short one for 16" or 20" barrels and a long one for 14.5" barrels.

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Kurt's Kustom Brake:

Wilson Combats Brake:

Cavalry Arms Brake:
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:11:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been seriously considering getting a Kurt's on my post ban 16" AR.  Does anyone know how they install them when you send you upper to them?  do they thread, then attach permanently?  Solder?  
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:28:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Does anyone know how they install them when you send you upper to them?  Do they thread, then attach permanently?  Solder?  

From Kurt's website:
"This thread or solder-on brake decreases rise and recoil, while giving your muzzle that 'GI' look. Machined as a true compensator from 1117 barrel steel. Also available for 30 & 35 (9mm) calibers. Colt threading is also available. $85/installed."
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:40:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had two Wilsons and 1 A3 from Kurt. Still have one with a Wilson. It is extremely effective, at least to me and the few people who have shot it. Kurts is also extremely effective. In fact, other than looks, I find that they are virtually identical in performance and would recommend either.
Remember though, I am the wierd guy who thinks an AR is pretty light and likes to make it a bit heavier.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey guys,,,,you say the other brakes are better, which I'll take your word on that.

I really like the looks of the KKF break, but their web site didn't look to impressive.  It looks like the guy runs his company out of a garage or something.  Doesn't mean it's not good, but I'd be afraid to mail my upper to this guy unless I knew more about the company first.

With Cavalry, their web site says they will "pin" the break on after using a hand drill on the barrel.

I don't want a "pinned" comp on my barrel, I want a welded comp that's durable and fastened on with some strength.

Unless those other two companies specify more, I'd stick with Wilson's.  

As far as Wilson's making the gun rise to the left or right, I'd say, someone installed the break on really sloppy.  Wilson Combat is an A+ outfit, that I don't think would tolerate wrecking their reputation for a "crappy" muzzle break.

My partner at work has the Wilson break installed on his bushmaster.  It's awesome and there is no "rise" to the left or right.  It works too.

I found the URL'S on "dogpile.com".  Thanks guys.
Just my humble opinion.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hey guys,,,,you say the other brakes are better, which I'll take your word on that.

BUT....you didn't mention the URL'S for "Kurts or Calv comp"....

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LIST THEIR URL'S FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME WHO AR "MUZZLE BREAK" ILLITERATE.

Thanks.

Just go over to "Industry Forums" and look under Cavalary Arms and Kurts Kustom

www.cavalaryarms.com
Kurt's website is linked in his discussion forum in Industry Forums.....

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:31:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I would never, ever, worry about doing any business with Kurt and KKF. The guy is sort of like the mad scientist of the AR gunsmith world, but you will look for a lomg long time before you find a single person who will say anything but how awesome he is. He is not a big company, but he does what a lot of others cant and if you ask me, he does it better. KKF all the way. This guy is awesome.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Like I said, I like my Wilson brake, but Kurt is top notch. Brake works great and looks great. He does great work and got mine done really quick. Again, both have been great for me, each one is a little different and has its own look.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Kurt's Kustom Firearms and Calvalry Arms are both well-respected members of this site and have forums in the "Industry Forum". Industry Forum

Websites are:

Kurt's Kustom Firearms

Cavalry Arms
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm sure the ATF won't mind if you break your muzzle.  They won't care if you break your receiver or anything else either.

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I really like the looks of the KKF break, but their web site didn't look to impressive.  It looks like the guy runs his company out of a garage or something.  Doesn't mean it's not good, but I'd be afraid to mail my upper to this guy unless I knew more about the company first.

Kurt is a top notch gun smith. Not a Internet guru. I, and lots of other people here have had work done by him. Lots of it custom stuff. Always gets done quick and for a real good price. And he unquestionably backs all his work. You needn't have any doubts about sending him things to work on.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#16]
How much extra noise do these various muzzle breaks add?  I think they look excellent and I like the idea of less muzzle rise, but I don't want alot of extra noise.  Are any better than others with regard to noise, also how about muzzle flash?  Thanks for any help.

salute he
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Okay fellas, I can't take it anymore.  These brakes that look like the original flash hiders just really show the stupidity of the 1994 law.  Is is there a legal measurement of how much the recoil of a rifle must be reduced to call it a brake instead of a flash hider?  I would think with a bit of thought and a file, I could make any "flash hider" into a "muzzle brake."

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 12:04:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I suppose then that the brakes discussed here do not reduce flash?  I am just trying to understand where the fine legal line is drawn.  Example, say you have a brake that does happen to reduce flash, but not so much as a flash hider.  I guess that all the brakes are tested by the BATF.

Thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 12:07:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I wonder, as a scientist, if this is a purely cosmetic addition or substitution.
Has there been any comparison between these brakes and others in terms of muzzle rise?  Of sound?
Is this purely for looks?
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 3:55:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I have shot my Wilson and KKF side by side with an non braked post ban, Armalite recoil check brake, and pre ban flash suppressors. The brakes do stop what muzzle rise there is and do reduce the recoil.
THEY DO NOT CREATE ANY SOUND WHATSOEVER. They mearly redirect it. It you stand in front of a gun with no brake it has the same volume of noise, it just goes straight out front instead of to the sides. In order to be a brake the front has to be enclosed, with only enough room for the bullet to exit. This is what reduces the recoil as the gas hits the front of the brake and pulls the gun foward. With the front being enclosed this forces the gas, and noise, out the vents on the sides. This in itself doesnt allow it to suppress the flash any as its not allowed to spread out, it is all forced into a couple of places.
I have also shot right next to a mini y-comp. Due to there design, which is very effective, they do direct a bit of blast more rearward. Kurts and Wilsons do not. Personally, I dont mind, and in some cases like, shooting next to folks with mini y's etc. It lets me get used to concentrating on my own shooting and ignoring other bothersome distractions. If the S ever does HTF, I doubt very seriously that everyone will be able to stand all nice and neet side by side to shoot. Will be barrels of all makes in all positions around you. Best get used to shooting with some distraction.  I know when I was in the Army, we sure did. I dont mind it at all. But thats just me.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:10:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone tried the GMC brake?

Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Man...! Dat looks kinda heavy...!!!
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Isn't that brake for preban axles only?
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#26]
That is absolutely a pre ban brake assembly, it has five lugs for Christ sake! you could mount FIVE bayonets on that thing, all rotating at the same time, SCARY!
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 8:28:17 PM EDT
[#27]
i will get one if the AWB does not sunset. if it does sunset, then i will just get the barrel threaded and get a flash hider put on.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Has anyone tried the GMC brake?

As I slowly scrolled down, reading the various posts, this suddenly appeared. It was so unexpected, I choked on my drink!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 12:29:33 AM EDT
[#29]
I kinda like the "Flintstone" brake, myself...
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:41:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Enough of you guys have recommended KKF over the last few months that I'm sold.

My next move is to get an ArmaLite AR-10A4 (in .308) upper with stainless barrel and have Kurt cut the barrel to 18" and install his brake.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I've got 2 Bushmasters both with their AK74 breaks on them. No recoil , no torque , not much louder (have shot it without hearing protection as I took it deer hunting).They work .They almost act like a flash hider as shot same loads in mine as well as 2 other 20" Bushys. Noticeable less flash. DON'T TELL THE BATF CREEPS !
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#32]
AK74 brake absolutely positively does not reduce flash at all. Not a bit. It does however redirect out of your line of sight, which to you may appear to be reduced flash. But all the flash is still there.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:44:32 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

With Cavalry, their web site says they will "pin" the break on after using a hand drill on the barrel.

I don't want a "pinned" comp on my barrel, I want a welded comp that's durable and fastened on with some strength.

Hk45USP - like Pthfndr said, Kurt works on guns/creates art - he's not in the html business.

I didn't think you "operators" cared about looks anyway???  See URL:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=129185&page=2

As for the pinned comp that Cav uses - you want weld for strength, huh?  How do you think your front sight base is attached (assuming you even own an AR)???  Is yours welded to be durable and fastened on with some strength???  Quick - call up FN and Colt!!!  Our boys in uniform are in danger because their fsb's aren't WELDED!!!!

Once you show me you're a jerk by making fun of others instead of being helpful, I'll flame your sorry ass every chance I get until you change your ways.  Tard...  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top