Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2005 6:44:45 PM EDT
Are the M-1 carbines now being made by Auto Ordnance under new management (Kahr?) any good?

I've been wanting to get a carbine for a while and have not had any luck finding a GI. Most civillian carbines seem to have areally bad reputation for function and materials.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I think others have said quality is spotty with these.

I'd like a good, inexpensive carbine too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one, I think its great. Go for it its a great gun for the price.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been checking on Gunbroker regularly, but the GIs go for top dollar when they are in good condition.

And, they all seem to have the bayonet lug, which is a no-no as I'm in California, so I don't know if I could get one shipped here anyway, even if I promised to be a good little boy and remove it...
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Try the search function, there have been at least 6-7 threads asking the exact same question in the last year.  

Some poeple say they are spotty, but no one ever seems to be able to prove it that I can recall, except for maybe a sight screw coming loose or something minor like that (it happens with all models of guns on occasion).  

I think most of the poor reveiews are base on the "it isn't USGI so its crap" mentality
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:16:07 AM EDT
[#6]
If  the price is reasonable and that's  what you want why not. They may make a CA version have to ask them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:24:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I was just on their website they make a CA version. No bayonet lug and it has a 10 round mag.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:31:02 AM EDT
[#8]
If your really in CA you can't really get one of these.. semi auto + detachable mag + pistol grip = no go in CA
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:50:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If your really in CA you can't really get one of these.. semi auto + detachable mag + pistol grip = no go in CA

The M-1 carbine doesn't have a pistol grip as a rule...
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 smae deal as an M1A, the grip does not protrude below the stock/action, so does not count as a "pistol grip."  Not to mention as Bob already siad, they list a CA legal version...
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like I'll take a chance on the Auto-Ordnance.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I love mine - completely reliable.   I've had it for about a year a year now (serial number is under 200), and have added a USGI sling/oiler, M4 bayo, and picked up a spare USGI bolt.  

Go for it - they're great!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I got one and had Khar send the wooden handguard just to make it look original.

Another plus is a warranty.....buy a 50+ year old carbine and is something does wrong your out tons of money.

6 or half a dozen...take a pick.

David
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 smae deal as an M1A, the grip does not protrude below the stock/action, so does not count as a "pistol grip."  Not to mention as Bob already siad, they list a CA legal version...

Whoops thought I read M1(as in Tommy) sorry
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#15]
If the USGI is otherwise legal in CA, bayonet lug withstanding, iirc, the only ones that have a bayonet lug are the Type III barrel bands.

The early ones did not have this, and it can easily be replaced at little cost by anyone with little skills.

As for AutoOrdnance, I learned my lesson on them with their version of the Thompson. After I spent $60 bucks to send it back in (extractor broke, came out of the bolt & flew out of the gun), they still didnt fix all that was wrong (Rear sight tang).

I sold it. The only thing Kahr makes that I will be buying is the 9mm handgun, which has rave reviews.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If the USGI is otherwise legal in CA, bayonet lug withstanding, iirc, the only ones that have a bayonet lug are the Type III barrel bands.

The early ones did not have this, and it can easily be replaced at little cost by anyone with little skills.

The M1 Carbine is perfectly OK to buy here in CA. The only thing you're limited to is the 10 round magazine.

CA's AWB does not count bayonet lugs as an "evil feature," so technically, if I could find a M14 muzzle brake with the same external dimensions as the FH with a bayonet lug, I could legally use it on my M1A Scout.

Now, the M1A1 Carbine, on the other hand, is a no-no, since it has a pistol grip and a side-folding stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top